main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Schwarzer on a free, or Ruddy for £10m. Great signing

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It depends on the purpose. Ruddy is about years younger.

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Big news this morning is that Bayern may hijack ManU's Thiago deal, as Pep confirmed at a press conference this morning that he has asked club management to see if they can get him following stories in the (ever reliable) Spanish media that Thiago had agreed to terms with Bayerrn.

Not sure what on earth Bayern would want him for, as they're already overloaded in midfield. But the fact that he clearly wants to leave Barca is a perfect illustration to me of how poorly managed they are these days.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Wilifred Bony to Swansea for...12 million. That's more than double the previous record for club transfer fees. Hope it pays off.

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    So depressing

Thiago would walk into our starting line up. Play every game. He's complained about not getting enough minutes with Barca then decides to join the one team who have as good a midfield? Wtf is he thinking.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    That would suck, especially if we aren't getting Strootman either.

7. yankee8255

May 31, 2005

I think it's a lose-lose all around: Barca need him desperately with Xavi clearly in decline; ManU need him desperately to strengthen their midfield; he needs playing time, which he'll struggle to get at Bayern; and Bayern's whole tactical set-up gets totally thrown out of kilter, with several key players likely pissed off.

I know several Bayern fans who are skeptical of Pep, fear he's going to try to turn them into another Barcelona, rather than play to their current strengths. This move would definitely aggravate those fears.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's an understandable move, Munich are European Cup holders and have Guardiola who Thiago has worked with before. It seems like a logical choice, until you consider who they already have in the squad and what the realistic chances of playing often are.

9. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Spain 3-2 England in the women's euros. Spain score in the last second.

The English keeper is crap, man.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    So Al Fayed has sold Fulham to a US Billionaire for £200million. Maybe some serious investment in players will happen now, Fulham may rise up the table in the coming years.

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I doubt it. Fayed already did all the work with his fortune. It's been sold as a solid working business, not as a team to be massively developed. Plus, the fair money economic thingy is now in effect.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Good point, it's bad for a club to spend more on wages and transfers than they actually make as a business.
    The new owner might be better off trying to increase Fulham's revenue first.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
  15. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Thiago A to Bayern confirmed today. Will be interesting to see if Bayern makes any other moves, given how crowded their midfield is.

16. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    i'd be perfectly willing to take Kroos off Bayern's hands. you know, for the good of their other midfield starlets.

17. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    So United has made a bid for Fabregas...as much as I'd like to see that happen, I highly doubt Cesc wants to leave Barcelona. They really need to make a move for Strootman. I wonder what's taking them so long to make moves in the market.

Anyone think they might be trying to get players on the cheap by doing end-of-transfer-window bids?

18. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Barca definitely won't let Fabregas go now that Thiago has gone.

Genet-Cabur Kyramud likes this.
  19. yankee8255

May 31, 2005

Not sure Bayern are willing to let him go, but he'd be a very good fit for them.

20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005

You never know. At this point, I don't think you can overestimate Barca's stupidity. Not completely sold on Fabregas at this point either, though.

Also, great 65m goal at a RB Salzburg - Schalke friendly last week.

Genet-Cabur Kyramud likes this.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe it's because Moyes isn't so well-known to many in Europe, he's not of huge status like Ferguson or Mourinho or Guardiola so the appeal of playing for him is not so great. Plus I get the impression the new Chief Executive is a glorified Bean Counter and he's now in charge of transfer negotiations which Gill was better at.

Moyes suggested United had no interest in Thiago A and it was all press rumour, but Strootman is exactly what the team needs and all effort should be made to get him (if he wants to move)

22. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013

True, I would imagine Sir Alex is probably helping him with talking to prospects and trying to convince them to come to United...still Moyes has the club itself to attract the players so hopefull players will come for the club and maybe not be so focused on who the manager is

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Hopefully, the CL and other stuff does appeal to many players.

I doubt United will get Fabregas, this seems like a way to appease fans after losing out on Thiago. A sort of "we can still bid big for top class players, so don't be mad", but Barca are unlikely to let two midfielders leave when they need long-term replacements for guys like Xavi & Iniesta.
    United don't need an expensive player to do well, but they do definitely need a replacement for Carrick and a more solid attacking midfield option since the others are either ineffective or inexperienced.

Adnan Januzaj impressed in the recent pre-season game, hopefully he can develop into a quality player.

24. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    guardian seems to think the Fab thing has legs. Not getting excited tho. Yet.

also according to the guardian Rooney is as good as gone. if this was America we would trade the two and be done with it.

25. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    guardian seems to think the Fab thing has legs. Not getting excited tho. Yet.

also according to the guardian Rooney is as good as gone. if this was America we would trade the two and be done with it.

26. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Just to let you all know, I can't be bothered editing. SO SUE ME