main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [Fantasy Flight Games] Because it just keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    My group and I were totally put off by the beta. We had high hopes (perhaps too high), but they came crashing down when we actually tried to play. So, I might look at getting the books for the info therein, but I'll probably be sticking with Saga and WEG for gaming. (Heck, one of my players has even asked me to NOT by the books for info, just so FFG won't think they're doing something right with the game!)

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the beta? I've only played Saga, so I'm an RPG n00b.

3. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    At this point, I don't remember everything. I know the aforementioned dice were one of the bigger stumbling blocks; highly unintuitive, and they didn't really bring anything to the table that a good ol' fashioned numeric dice system would. Character creation also was obnoxious, with substantial hurdles to playing an out-of-type character that, it seemed, got raised with every online update. There's also an "obligation" system, meant to drive character motivations, but which tied the hands of both the players and the GM in ways that nobody liked.

4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Ever since I first found out details of this game I have been thinking of The One Ring, the new Tolkien RPG. It also went for more abstract battle systems instead of number-crushing and miniature-play the classic Middle-Earth Role-playing Game had, included its own dice, doesn't have classes in a classic sense and is generally more about the cinematic feel than D&D smashing. Its original plans were to have three rulebooks like this one, but then they decided that there would be too much redundant info and cancelled the last two. It is very good and has only good reviews, but I haven't yet got to play it. (That is the reason it's unlikely that I will buy this, if I am unable to play even one game, what would I do with a second?)

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I actually picked up the One Ring a couple of months ago. It's a pretty abstract system, and I admit I'm used to more complicated rulesets. On the other hand, MERP was a terrible rules-heavy system (with infamous critical success and failure tables that have to be seen to be believed). So, I don't know.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Finally got around to reading the Edge of Empire Rulebook and it is pretty much perfect as a SW RPG Core Rulebook, it explains the galaxy, politics, technology, economics, starships (tons of freighters :)), drawing heavily on WEG (it has Imperial Customs Officers! :D ), WOTC and Essential Guides in it, whilst having beautiful art and a sense of humor about it. It also has a beautiful Star Map, based on the one in the Atlas.

my kind of scum likes this.
  7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Anything on Rebel starships? I am Alonso what is says about each world listed and if it offers clues about the timeline placement. For example, does the Dac entry imply they have already kicked the Empire off?

--Adm. Nick

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Nothing really new as it is mainly written for Fringers (it thus has a rather impressive Hutt section :) ) and set just a short time after the Battle of Yavin, though it has a section on how the Rebel Alliance works and how it tends to interact with the Fringe

It only has short blurb on Mon Calamari / Mon Cala/ Dac as part of the Outer Rim in general, though it mentions that it is currently struggling to free itself fully from Imperial enslavement.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Alonso, have you been lying to us this entire time about being named Nick?

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Clearly he hasn't been Frank.

jSarek likes this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Dammed auto correct!!

--Adm. Nick

12. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Well I've been playing and GMing EotE since it's release. Far and away the best Star Wars gaming system I've played (this from a longtime WEG GM/player and Saga fan). The die system is incredibly intuitive and the narrative dice come up with results which a simple numeric system cannot achieve. I think one problem that people who are used to more tactical gaming are having is getting their heads wrapped around a more abstract system. There are no grids, no hexes to count for range..

I've taught this system to multiple players, all the way from the 9 year old son of a friend to my old school Hero System buddy who converts EVERYTHING to Hero. It's been incredibly easy to teach.

I love what FFG is doing with this system and cannot wait for future supplements.

Yancy

OutlawTorn and Gorefiend like this.
  13. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    This video explains basically everything you need to know about the RPG.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, I'm more about the abstract myself. My adventures rarely use battlemaps and miniatures - if ever - and I was completely uninterested in the direction D&D went with 4E. So this is sounding like it may be promising...

15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Mara! Dash! Construction Droids!

The only thing that would make me happier would be Wedge driving a construction droid..... although I see they're trying to go for the general ROTJ theme and so Wedge isn't bumming around with them demo droids yet.

Cronal likes this.
  17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Ugh, I need some new Mon Cal cruiser images! If FFG decides to do a card based on the MC80A wingless cruiser, I will be forever in their debt.

--Adm. Nick

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [​IMG]

You're welcome.

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    GrandAdmiralJello

Don't quit your day job. Plus now that you have a piece of art you are at risk for Thrawn understanding your tactics. :p

--Adm. Nick

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    "Ah yes, Jello. His tactics are.... inscrutable and mysterious. Seriously, is that a star cruiser, a pickle, or an amoeba?"

jSarek, Eyrezer and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  21. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    MARA! Mara Mara Mara Mara!

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You say "starship", I say "potato".

Eyrezer likes this.
  23. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I say both- Eye of Palpatine.

24. OutlawTorn

OutlawTorn Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2013

Stop!!!! You and the others on this topic have already convinced me, ive just bought my EotE Core Rulebook! It's hard not to consider what a veteran Star Wars gamer has to say, lol. In a month or so ill buy the beginner box that includes the dices, if it's still at that cheap US$20 price.

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Cool. That "Front Line Reinforcements" card features a CR25 dropship from Republic Commando.

Also, those Star Destroyers are in an interesting orientation. Star Wars usually depicts large ships orbiting with their keels facing the planet. Kind of neat to see them facing a different way.

That's Mr. Lumpy Pickle to you.