main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW bonus material episode discussion (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Well whether we get something or not I'll follow HEDGESMFG to SDCC and whoever is going to CEII. I wonder if we have any Disney Club members attending D23. I'm sure between these three events we'll get some hints about the Bonus Material. I honestly don't mind a longer wait for Rebels and E7.

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    So certain are you?:p

I wonder if that isn't the case. From Maul's return and the changes to the viewing schedule to the LA layoffs, it all smells like GL knew what was coming. IF the Iridonian-born, Dathomiri-Zabrak stars in one of the spinoffs, it will convince me that the sale was in the works for a lot longer than I originally thought.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Adding:

Its likely GL and more importantly the TCW staff sinces the cancellation coming from a ways away. I still find the changes made to the finally as mentioned on RFR by Ashley suspicious. However I don't think that Maul has all that much to do with it. I've always thought Maul was introduced so TCW could be uses as basically a commercial for TPM 3D, back when they though TCW would have a longer run. Lets remember TCW's longer productions times which ultimately was probably a factor in cancellation. Most computer animated shows are created in half the time.

4. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

The entire Disney buying thing stinks of raw fish.

I just think Maul was there in the show so Lucas can do something with him after realizing he wasted Maul in TPM. The 3D promotion was a bonus.

I doubt the production number is an issue. Truth be told, most CG shows might be made in half the time, but they do not look as half as good as The Clone Wars does. Beauty in CG takes time.
    The main reason for the end and cancellation is the fact that the show had previously been part of CN and Warner. IMO Disney just pulled a "Spectacular Spideman" so they do not have to deal with legal matters like with Sony.

And if the production thing is an issue then why would the same team be making Rebels - it will be the same process with the same time constraints.

Even if Maul is in any of the spin-offs then that would mean that the final line of Sidious in the Mandalore arc of S5 was added when the idea of Maul appearing in Disney movies came up.

I feel like Disney has been very anti-The Clone Wars since the news of the Lucas selling the company. My hopes lie on CEII the most.
    I hope Disney do not waste our time by only promoting their new &&*$@(&$#.

I am dying to know any kind of positive news at CEII - trailer, clip and, MOST OF ALL, a release date!!!

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Which they probably will.

6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Except by the end of its run The Clone Wars wasn't that popular. Seasons 4 and 5 drew in an average audience comparable to Sym-Bionic Titan. That's pretty poor ratings compared to what the show initially would bring in. Then there were the rumblings that Hasbro had dropped the TCW action figure line specifically because they believed that the show wasn't going to make it past the fifth season. The signs of a potential axing were there for a long time before Disney even entered the scene, that's how I managed to call it before season 5 even began.

Balderdash. If Disney were being anti-TCW you wouldn't be seeing any new episodes at all. They'd have just left the show dead, like practically every other cancelled TV show in history.

7. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

This.

The bonus content had better be BRILLIANT. And they better release things soon. I could understand it if they had cancelled it next year after Season 6... But not this early before they had a show to fill the void TCW has left.

8. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    @dgtf They could have a Wampa attack Maul, so Sam can play him... just sayin.

9. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Hasbro dropped the line because the figures were not selling and they contributed this to the fact that it had got a new time slot and that ratings had fallen - they made assumptions that the lack of interest in the toy line meant the show was not popular when in fact it was the opposite. TCW was more popular then you think. If you think there were really signs there that there was going to be a potential axing, Lucas held the cards there, not the network. He was funding the show, not CN/Warner who wanted a season 6 but Disney refused to let them have it (you can bet that happened). The viewing figures were consistent and higher for Series 5 despite its new slot - it still won its timeslot and still got the better ratings of any of the shows that it ran in the Saturday block, some of which had lower ratings then TCW yet have been renewed by CN. How do you explain that? Surely with the drop in ratings for those shows, they should be axed and not renewed because they are not popular?

The cancellation was not meant to happen.

You just got lucky because if it hadn't been for the Disney buy, Season 6 would be airing this year on CN.

10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    If the show was as popular, if not more popular in the Saturday morning slot then the toy sales wouldn't have gone down at a rate significant enough to make Hasbro drop an entire action figure line. That argument just makes no business sense.

Lucas had no control over what Cartoon Network put on their schedule and no guarantee that any other network would pick the show up. Cancellation on CN was quite probable and an outright halt on production was probable if no replacement network could be found.

That's just patently false. While The Clone Wars didn't lose significantly more viewers from season 4 the average viewing figure for season 5 is slightly smaller than that of the first 20 episodes of season 4.

Average figure for the first 20 episodes of season 4: 1.99
    Average figure for Season 5: 1.73

Feel free to do the math yourself, the figures are all here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars:_The_Clone_Wars_episodes

Which of these shows were renewed by Cartoon Network? Because shows comparable to TCW, like Green Lantern and Young Justice, also got the axe this year and probably didn't cost a fraction of what it takes to produce.

"In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  11. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    This debate again? [face_sigh]No matter what the truth really is regarding the cancellation of TCW, I am of the opinion that we should just put that behind us. This reminds me of the heated arguments in this thread back in March and April. What's past is past, and at the very least we have what seems to be some very exciting new bonus content from what would have been Season 6 to look forward to. So let's not go down that road and instead stay optimistic about the new content.

Really, CEII can't come soon enough. I for one will really keep my eyes peeled for the latest news on TCW and Rebels.

12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Agreed.

And I just can't resist. Actually most animated 2D or 3D series like Legend of Korra, The Clone Wars, Tron Uprising, and Tranformers Prime cost $1 million per episode (source Toonzone). TCW's high price tag is not totally outrageous. Oh and it so happens all but one of these shows is done. We may never know the exact reason for TCW's cancellation but since CN axed all its action programs I think its a decent guess that CN is moving away from that type of content, TCW probably would have eventually gone with it. Lets keep in mind that when we are talking about Cartoon Network and in the near Disney XD its the 6-12 year old audience they target. Not the 18-24 year old which are the ratings we see on Wikipedia. Stuff like Young Justice, TCW, Green Lantern, and possibly even Ben 10 are replaced with the newest incarnation of Pokemon, Lego Thundercats, Scooby Doo, and crackbaby cartoons.

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Sadly, I must've misread something when I first viewed the panels. As you stated, panels are all much more specific than I recalled.

Still, I'll find out what I can. My questions may have to be more EU leaning than TCW leaning, but I'm sure there will be one or two other people I can chat with given the chance. If there is any info to be learned on the bonus content that weekend, I will find it.

Watto and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  14. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Sorry but that would still make TCW a comparatively pricey production if what I have read on here is true. I've seen people here float figures like $2 million per episode. So with what you say in mind that's still twice as much money to produce. It only stands to reason that the show would have to consistently perform twice as well with the audience figures to remain financially viable.

Is that standard practice when it comes to cable ratings? Because I see no stipulation about what the figures contain. Not to mention that it's surprising to me that anyone would care what demographic the figures are made up of. It all brings in the same subscription fees and advertising revenue.

15. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think the show is more or less a personal initiative from Filoni and friends.

Indeed. I do not know what was the hurry or the rush to end it so swiftly. It is beyond me, but I know somebody would come along and try to explain this situation somehow. It will still confuse me why are we where we are...

I know... You are right...=((

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Proof?

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Since the bonus content will explain Force-Ghosting and Qui-Gon learned Force-Ghosting from s Shaman of the Whills, will we be learning about Whills?

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Possibly

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Shame that Lucas punted the Minch story into the nearest sun, would have been epic to see Yoda create Luke's cave... TCW could have had a big slab of meat to work with... but as long as the Whill story avoids Yoda's origins and has lots of ghost Qui Gon, I'm in.

21. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    If the arc has Liam Neeson reprising his role as Qui-Gon's ghost again, then it's gonna be so worthwhile. Force mysteries far more akin to Yoda's cave or even the Whills, as opposed to the Mortis trilogy, would certainly be welcome. Big slab of meat or not, I can envision many possibilities as to where this arc will take us, but it's difficult to know just where to begin.

22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Oh, its still a good chunk. But I am such a huge fan of the original Minch story that I had to lament the lost opp.:_|

:p

Circular_Logic likes this.
  23. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Question. Has it ever been revealed where Qui-Gon learned how to become a Force Ghost?

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    He says that he learned from "a Shaman of the Whills". That's all we know.

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    More Liam Neeson, the better, he makes Star Wars more fun