main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Unpopular opinions?

I prefer the PT musical score to that from the OT. In fact, every film score aficionado should be grateful for the existence of the Prequels, if only for these compositions.

Plus, the themes nicely accommodate all of life's trappings. Mired in nostalgia? Anakin's Theme. Fall madly in love? Across the Stars. Forced to go to church? Duel of the Fates. Attending a funeral? Qui-Gon's Funeral Pyre. Tax audit? Order 66. Your neighbor's meth lab finally busted? Augie's Great Municipal Band. Losing all connection with reality? Padme's Ruminations.

Cryogenic and kainee like this.
  2. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I don't see your opinion as unpopular as I always the the one thing that united the SW fan base was John Williams scores of all 6 movies.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    I understand what you are saying, also. What makes Darth Vadar different is that in the actions he does perform, he demonstrates his power and his status as a villain. He's cruel, unforgiving and can kill at will using nothing but his mind. But you are right. His costume and presence go a long way towards making him a great villain, and Boba Fett also has some of that same quality. I just don't think he actually does as much as Vadar or even the Emperor does to confirm what we may suspect of his character.

This is definitely true to an extent. However, when the solo films were announced, the majority of comments I read were asking for a Han Solo film and a Boba Fett film. Clearly, if people think he deserves to have his own film, he is still well loved. Obviously, I think Boba is nowhere as deserving of a solo film as Han is, though. Especially since his origins have already been partially explained. On the other hand, I have no interest in seeing another actor tackle the role of Han Solo, but that's for another thread...

kainee likes this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Re: disliking Boba Fett as being "unpopular" - it probably still is, overall. What's different now is that it's possible to have a real debate about how interesting a character he was, with numbers on both sides, as opposed to earlier times where only a small handful of people didn't like him.

Well, there is a difference between liking the PT score and preferring the PT score.

5. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    The Phantom Menace is Star Wars in its purest form, as opposed to A New Hope.

minnishe and FRAGWAGON like this.
  6. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    I liked Jar Jar as a child

Team Padme likes this.
  7. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

Which makes less sense if you give 'A New Hope' its original name...

Garrett Atkins and MOC Yak Face like this.
  8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The Adventures of Luke Starkiller as taken from the “Journal of the Whills”
    by George Lucas
    (Saga I)
    THE STAR WARS
    :p

Ironically enough, TPM is very closely based (far more than any of the other films) upon the 1972/1973 handwritten two-page outline GL entitled 'The Journal of the Whills', which he effectively tossed aside. That's the notoriously incoherent one about:

Oh, OK, here's the whole transcript of page 1, courtesy of ATMachine, who, sadly, we haven't seen in a while around these parts:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...tline-by-george-lucas.32108921/#post-32120744

kainee likes this.
  9. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

Thank you for that, always interesting to see the creative workings of a project (and how altered the story often becomes from its original inception). There are though, I would argue, far more differences from TPM than there are similarities.

Just a few off the top of my head; " I was 16, I believe, and pilot of the trawler Balmung, when my ambitions demanded that I enter the exalted Intersystems Academy to train as a potential Jedi-Templer."

So...choice and the age are distinctly differentiated from TPM in terms of becoming a Jedi (and ambition is seen as an apt motivator for entry to the Jedi)...

Being on the 'secret mission' alongside his mentor would make Obi-Wan the Anakin Starkiller character and Qui-Gon the equivalent of Mace Windy (a daft name no matter how many times I hear it); Padmé should have been on Arrakis...sorry Aquilae (Tatooine) and Obi-Wan would have become the Paul Atreides of that desert planet...

The 'North Vietnam'/USA transposition seems to have been reversed also. Those inscrutable Neimodians and their...odd accents.... in opposition to the Senate...

So, the only real similarity would seem to be, two Jedi are on a secret mission :p

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Of course, but it's still something GL clearly went back to when he began writing TPM, and more to the point, didn't find its way anywhere into the OT or its backstory (unlike the asteroid chase, the Wookiee ground battle, Cloud City) etc. He really did go back to the beginning when he began tackling the PT.

kainee, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn and Vthuil like this.
  11. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    ROTS is the weakest of the Saga. Iain Mcdiarmid was particularly terrible at points.
    ANH is better than TESB
    AOTC ties with `TESB for second fave.
    I loved Phantom Menace
    ROTJ was awesome
    Loved the Ewoks
    Didn't mind Jar Jar
    Prefer Hayden force ghost [just makes sense, to have an image that was completely alien to what Anakin looked like always bothered me even before the prequels

kainee likes this.
  12. ree_yees

ree_yees Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2013
    yeah i was just thinking about this recently. and also that hayden christensen was actually very good.
    hopefully they can find a way for him to appear in ep7 in fact i'd bet thats almost a certainty that it will happen. how can it not? yoda and obi wan too.

i can't stand the PT for the most part BUT there are some awesome scenes in them. saw them once when they each came out...might be time to watch them again and see if i feel the same.

wobbits likes this.
  13. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    I totally agree with that - when Anakin was going crazy in the garage, it was the first time in the Prequels that I really thought he could turn out to be Darth Vader. It started to click about what Vader was once all about, he wasn't a psycho to begin with, or a squeaky-clean Jedi, he was someone with a lot of hidden anger and pain in him. The Emperor was lying in wait for the right time to use all of it.

And Hayden was great at this playing this character, he was just let down with a lot of the other writing, mainly with the Padme romance. Nothing there.

wobbits and kainee like this.
  14. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    High-functioning Droids (as in C3PO,R2D2, or 21-B, not hive-mind battledroids or GNK walking batteries) are sentient beings that deserve rights, moreso than they're allowed.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    While the battle droids in TPM are controlled by a central computer- those in TCW are independent.

And surprisingly characterful.

Emperor Ferus and Dasan like this.
  16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    What good are droids if you can't force them to do labor?

Bah. Droids, even ones like R2 and 3PO, are no more than fancy toasters and are the property of their rightful owners.

17. SWfan1020

SWfan1020 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    I think the Prequel Trilogy, in part due to the depth of expanded universe content from the prequel era, is more immersive, more interesting, than the original trilogy. While the execution of the Prequels was not perfect, in my opinion their flaws were mainly due to editing and certain ways the story was presented, not to any inherent flaws in the story or the characters themselves.

I think Hayden Christensen did a good job as Anakin.

I think considering TCW as canon is ridiculous.

wobbits and kainee like this.
  18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Despite being occasionally irritating, I actually like Jar Jar Binks. There were times when he was rather funny. And as much as I like Han Solo, there were times when I found him irritating and childish.

kainee and FRAGWAGON like this.
  19. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    That's true, and though it's played for laughs i actually find it kind of disturbing for Jedi to just massacre droids that lament their deaths in oddly squeaky voices.

20. ree_yees

ree_yees Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2013
    i watched TPM last night again (only my second time ever) and i think that if there was less goofballing of jar jar binks getting various bodyparts stuck in things then it would be a little better.

i never liked the gungans and their leader nass and the other total CGi characters like watto, and dex in AOTC etc. very weak characters made to appeal to kids and their CGi looks bad. actually, dex looks like a classic SW character type from jabbas sail barge but his personality and given occupation and workplace are all just whacked and not really cool or funny at all as he's meant to be. leave the comedy relief to r2-d2 and c3po their parts were good and comical just like in any other of the OT.

the robots look very good as CGi but i know there was a mix of models + CGi for them. the star ships and vehicles all look great too, in fact anything made of metal that is CGi looks great. i think other materials and surfaces in in CGi don't look so good.

i wonder if there is any fan edits of the PT about?...

21. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Well I guess I'm a kid because I loved Boss Nass, Watto, and especially Dexter Jettster. I like Dex so much I'd like to see him have his own show. Maybe not a cooking show....but something in the Ewoks and Droids vein.

Andy Wylde and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  22. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I'd love to see a cooking show hosted by Dexter Jettster. That would be fascinating.

-Jedi Joe- and FRAGWAGON like this.
  23. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Personally I thought Watto worked way better than the other CGI characters mentioned here. When TPM came out I didn't identify him as a sorta-Middle-Eastern-stereotype/caricature (which he kind of is) but I believe him as a character.

d_arblay likes this.
  24. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    For all the changes that have been made to the original trilogy, the one that really works is adding Ian McDiarmid's holographic Emperor in The Empire Strikes Back.

25. Hoaxer_Poker

Hoaxer_Poker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2008
    The Jedi in the prequel trilogy are an evil, sick, satanic, dangerous cult.

They steal young kids away from their parents. Leave Anakin's slave mother behind after freeing him. Forbid any form of love.

Worst of all, according to them a kid is too old to begin training to be a jedi at the age of 8/9? That's just ridiculous. Kids at the age of 4 probably don't know the end of a lightsaber and are likely to poke their own eyes out. It's very irresponsible.

They also act like arrogant jerks sitting in their council chambers.

Note, I do quite like the prequel trilogy, despite these objections!

wobbits likes this.