main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Hints on Lucas' Future

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by GunganSlayer, Mar 5, 2013.

1. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    I've no idea but I really want him to actually get round to this and stop talking about it! I don't think he ever will. I'm not sure he has the motivation. But if he did, I think he'd surprise a few people with them.

Pensive Padme likes this.
  2. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    people really dont appreciate how much this guy has given to the film industry while for the most part being independant from it, a true auter, yes ok he is a bit crap with actors sometimes but his love of the medium is unsurpassed

3. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    I hope Lucas does continue to make films, even if they are on a smaller scale. He has a very creative mind, and I bet he would surprise everyone with some of the ideas he could put to film.

4. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    just as long as it not Howard the Duck obviously

5. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    Which he didn't make.

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  6. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    well yeh but he did produce it I thought

7. d_arblay

May 26, 2005
    He was executive producer. He put up the money and thought it would make for a good movie in theory (think it was a comic book originally). He didn't direct it or script it. That it failed so monumentally has about as much to do with him as the inevitable success of 'Man of Steel' has to do with it's Executive Producer... the now infamous Jon Peters.

8. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    it was Marvel I believe

9. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    10 years to do a small movie. Come on he is not Kubrick.

10. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

Yes, Howard the Duck was based on a Marvel comics character. Apparently the comics were a bit of an existential satire, which obviously got completely lost in translation.

11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I've always been interested in what GL was up to in the interim between ROTJ & the PT (apart from Last Crusade and Young Indy) - Howard is this horrible abberation which attracted far more attention than other bombs like Radioland Murders. I probably wouldn't have known it existed if it wasn't for repeated mentions in MAD Magazine alongside Leonard Part 6 and other such 1980s films which were complete failures.

As I understand it, GL was the driving force behind getting the film made, but he wasn't hands-on, he just gave Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz (who gave the final polishes to American Graffiti and some sci-fi film GL directed in 1976 for 20th Century Fox) free rein, then it turned out to be one of the turkeys of the decade. An early IMDB review summed up everything about what happens in the movie - "Howard walks into a room, someone makes a duck joke, that's it."

Just quietly, Howard the Duck seems worthy of its own thread.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's on HBO right now. I've seen Howard once years ago...it's actually my Aunt's favorite movie :p

13. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    [​IMG]

Just say NO.

14. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I'd really like to see more 'American Graffiti'-type movies.

15. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    I don't think he understands todays youth culture well enough.

16. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Maybe not, but imagine a film about GL's days as a film student and then the early days of working with Coppola et al...

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  17. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    He has a fairly boring personality. Not interested.

18. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I'd really like to see films like THX-1138, films that establish a tone through images. That film is incredible, especially considering its low budget. It's just as visual striking as any of the SW films and it does a great job of establishing -- through its cinematography and set design -- a totally antiseptic world devoid of human emotion. American Graffiti does a great job of establishing a totally different sense of tone.

He keeps talking about making non-narrative films, and if any of that young George Lucas is still in him, I'm sure those films will be just as visually striking.

Andy Wylde, FRAGWAGON, Samnz and 2 others like this.
  19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

That would be awesome.

But first he has to shoot his version of Apocalypse Now. :p

20. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    [quote="Darth_Nub, post: 50841338, member: 1352512"Just quietly, Howard the Duck seems worthy of its own thread.[/quote]

[face_sick]

Worst thing about that movie was Tim Robbins in those stupid pants at the end, dancing like a moron.

I can't find a screenshot, so you're all better off.

21. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Actually he wasn't even that involved. Gloria Katz and Willard Huyck had pitched the film to Universal who took on the production due to their track record with the studio, however there was concern over Huyck's lack of experience on big budget SFX... the film was essentially stuck in development hell until Lucas stepped in, and as a personal favor to his friends, helped oversee some of the more involved FX sequences.

I mean if you're going to hammer him for Howard the Duck then you should equally heap praise on Lucas for a film he was far more involved in ... Lawrence Kasdan's brilliant film, Body Heat. Kasdan needed help with interference from the studio, Lucas gladly helped with that, but even more famously reedited the film after disastrous early screenings. Kasdan was never happy with Carol Littleton's edit, especially the final act, and Lucas effectively "saved the day" and restructured most of the second act and reworked the finale.

Yancy

22. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    That's actually a good thing.

23. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Strange Magic article

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/01/12/george-lucas-strange-magic-movie/21624493/

There is a quote attributed to Lucas saying that he can focus on writing "small, experimental films" which, honestly, I do want to see. It'd be a shame if Lucas just retires and that's it forever, Ridley Scott, Spielberg, Eastwood, there's a hellova lot of older directors still going.

I honestly do think we may get one or two of the "experimental" films out of him, just because if there's one thing Lucas does, is he plays the really, really, really long game.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  25. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Body Heat was an excellent film..an 80's take on the film noir movie Double Indemnity...why isn't lucas credited for his work..can you link a source to your claims?