main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11.11.11

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Dec 11, 2010.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Reynar, definitely get a UI mod. I used SkyUI, it's so much better than trying to use the Xbox interface on the PC.

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Master_Keralys likes this.
  3. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    These DLC have been a bit underwhelming, I'm not getting my hopes up.

4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm hoping this one might actually live up to Bethesda's "Fallout 3 DLC-sized DLC" claim.

Though if we want good writing from Bethesda, they need to rehire the old Morrowind team. Out of the original Morrowind team, Todd Howard is still there, and Kirkbride occasionally writes bits of lore for the new games- KotN was written by him, and a few bits of dialogue and books in Skyrim.

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm thinking of getting the Legendary Edition of Skyrim. What about it can make me order it right this second?

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am seriously tempted to get the Collector's Edition Game Guide.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Relative to vanilla Skyrim, relative to other Elder Scrolls titles, or relative to other RPGs? Because for the first two it's basically that it's bigger, better, and you don't need to fuss around with DLC downloads. For the last point, the appeal is basically a gigantic open world that you can go explore to your heart's content, and a bunch of alternate plotlines you can explore in lieu of, or in line with, the main quest. Essentially it's "Do what you want, when you want to" the RPG.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The Elder Scrolls Wiki
    There, I just saved you $30.

9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Is it treated as a different game than vanilla Skyrim? I am still on my first play through on an unpatched Skyrim, so I don't want to mess with that play through if I can help it.

I am well aware of the wiki, I am mainly interested in the map.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Everything I've read on the subject is purely speculative, it hasn't been out too long, but based on Fallout 3 people seem to think it will be. If you've got vanilla in good working order I think just buying the DLC might be cheaper, though.

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, I figured as much, but I still haven't got into internet on consoles yet, between Halo 4 and Skyrim I definitely want to do that. Unfortunately, wireless is my only option based on the way my internet is setup, and then there is the expensive proposition of a Gold Subscription. I have several Gold Subscription trials saved up from various games, so I will definitely use them first to get a feel for things, but still, its a lot of money.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You don't need Gold to get DLC or download games, actually. It's one of the very, very few things MS lets you do for free.

Edit: Of course, by free I mean their policy is "Sure, you can give us money without giving us more money for the privilege to do so. That's totally fine."

13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I am pretty sure Spartan Ops is an exception to that, so Halo 4 is the main reason I plan on getting Gold

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm not 100% sure but you can get the Spartan Ops DLC for free but I'm sure it counts as multiplayer due to the way it's set up. You can play it solo but it's designed to be co-op, if that makes sense. I don't know if that means you have to have Gold to play it or now, though I expect you'll know that better than I.

As I understand, the Legendary Edition of Skyrim is the same as the normal edition but with all the patches and all the DLC in one package. Looking at the prices it's as follows on GAME (UK):
    Skyrim: £17.99
    Hearthfire: £3.50
    Dawnguard: £13.99
    Dragonborn: £13.99
    Legendary Edition: £29.99

15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Spartan Ops says it requires Gold if your offline just like War Games, but I would hope it could be played offline if downloaded.

Do the patches break saved games?

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I've never had that happen, no.

17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    When I say War Games requires Gold, I mean playlists, custom games don't.

Exactly what I wanted to hear.

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yay! My copy of the Legendary Edition arrived today! What's not so great is that there are pipes under my floorboards that are being replaced, so all my computer and xbox stuff is packed away. I have all this Skyrim goodness and all I can do is gaze longingly at the packaging. :(

19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I am so very tempted to get the Legendary Edition, even though its $60. Skyrim itself is amazing, though having the three Bards College musical instruments trapped in my inventory is really annoying, so I can't wait play the DLC.

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Zeta1127: I got the Legendary Edition as I didn't already own Skyrim. You might want to check to see if it's cheaper to buy the DLC separately. I got it in a sale for £25 so it was cheaper than the DLC, but I don't know how much the DLC would be where you are.

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

It's been awhile, but aren't those items supposed to be removed when you meet/talk to the Bard College members and they give you their boon? Regardless, yes, it was annoying to carry so many useless quest items that you could not remove no matter what and that add to your carry limit.

If you already bought Skyrim and any of the DLC, I don't know if you should spend so much on the Legendary addition when you could get the core cheaper. Of course, it all depends on your particular circumstances.

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The Bards College items can glitch and not get removed from your inventory. I thought it got fixed in a patch but it may have been the Unofficial Skyrim Mod so if you're not on PC you could be stuck with them. However, I'm pretty sure quest items have no weight, regardless of what it says in your inventory. You can test this by dropping everything else in a chest or something and see that you are carrying zero weight.

23. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Again, it's been awhile since I played, but I wasn't sure if all quest items were weightless. Regardless, I hate clutter. One useless item that I don't have to see in an inventory packed to the gills with weapons, potions, armor and soul gems is more than welcome. :p

24. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    FYI

Spotted the Legendary edition for 20 quid in Tesco this evening, if I wasn't buying a house I would have got it there and then!

25. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, I was fortunate enough to obtain Skyrim for $25 dollars on Black Friday last year, but I haven't gotten any patches or DLC. It almost feels like it would be a better deal for me to get the Legendary Edition just so I can have all of the patches and DLC without the hassle, since I don't have internet on consoles.