main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Should Leia be a Jedi or Politician in the ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Allana_Rey, Nov 3, 2012.

?

Should Leia be a Jedi in the ST?

1. Yes

131 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Unsure

16 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Maybe

26 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    It's good to meet another Babylon 5 fan.

However, I disagree with this whole "fleet of Death Stars". Let the original two Death Star's be unique. If our heroes are suddenly facing up against dozens upon dozens of Death Stars, then the Death Star itself isn't anything special. It's just another battle-station. Besides, I'm not interested in an enemy that could potentially just curbstomp their way to victory and I'm especially not interested in seeing the same weapon that we've already seen in Episodes 4 & 6(and I guess Episode 2 & 3). I expect Disney to have a lot more creativity than that, enough creativity to design their own weapons.

Also, more Sith would be a bad move on Disney's part. I'm pretty sure that there are other dark-side users besides the Sith.

Leia becoming a Queen would be kind of cliche and I'm also sure that there are other ways to acknowledge Leia's connection to Naboo.

Hando likes this.
  2. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    I'd like to see her as an ordinary person, doing ordinary things, like grocery shopping. We never see anyone go grocery shopping in SW. Han, too. After all, they're both too old to be in these movies, right? So they have to be doing something suitable for their advanced age.

Han could be pushing the grocery cart, and Leia could be looking at produce, and she could say, "I like to buy local - I really don't care for off-planet produce." Or, they could be in the deli, and when she orders a pound of Mynocks thinly sliced, and Han could say, "I hate Mynocks." Leia replies, "Oh, you never like anything I fix!" Han gets huffy, and starts to walk away when a bounty hunter approaches him in the cereal aisle: "Going somewhere, Solo?" Han shoots him first, and calls for clean-up in aisle nine. Then there's a wipe, and we never see the two of them again.

3. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I'm fine with Leia having some Force powers because she is, you know, a friggin' Skywalker. However, I don't want to see Leia as a full-fledged Jedi. I don't see Leia deciding to go off and train in the swamp for months when she is actively needed to help rebuild the Republic.

4. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Who says she's actively needed to help rebuild the Republic? She was fine to go off and rescue Han... after that, she wasn't even addressed at the briefing, she was just "there" and volunteered to be part of Han's shuttle crew. And who says it'd take months to train her, let alone in a swamp? The amount of time that passed in ESB is very ambiguous, as is the method Han used to travel from the Hoth system to the Anoat system without a working hyperdrive, but... it wasn't months. Days, maybe a couple weeks, tops. (granted, Luke also had 3 years pre-Yoda of trying to figure stuff out on his own after an hour or two of training with Obi-Wan, and then some time to himself while planning Han's rescue in the year between ESB & ROTJ after receiving a lot of Yoda-training, tho he never bothered to go back to Dagobah to FINISH the training in that time period)... If Luke can pop off and do that whenever he feels like it, and not get so much as a reprimand (in the films, anyway), then why not Leia? Hell, he could probably have started her training the morning after the Endor Party if he wanted to.

Based on Luke's training, there's no reason to assume it'll take months or years of fairly dedicated work (let alone the PT's decade-plus) to get Leia up to Knight-level. All that's really missing is a trial, but surely Luke could think of something, even if it's a trip back to the cave... or consult with the Ghostly Trio for ideas on what Leia's "Jedi trials" could be.

Darth_Pevra and agentkrycek like this.
  5. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Any mission with legitimate danger would do. Luke had to confront Vader, that's one hell of a trial, with Sidious there to boot.

Hando likes this.
  6. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I still like the idea of Luke being in a self imposed exile, and maybe Leia has had the title of Grand Master thrust on her. When a new threat presents itself she is unsure in her own abilities and confers with Anakin's ghost who reveals where Luke is and she dispatches two of our new heroes to go find him.

Hando likes this.
  7. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    To be honest the more I think about it I don't mind their being some politics in the new movies but I really want to get back to basic feel good "Star Wars"

I hope she's a kick a$$ knight / master, whatever really, who dabbles in a bit of politics like all good Princess' do but mainly she's taking names.

Something like that. I like that. :)

agentkrycek likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The saga is named Star WARS, not Star Taxation of Outlying Trade Routes. Lock S-foils in attack position and activate sabers!

9. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    She has to be the face of the Senate. She's too old to run around swinging a lightsaber. Leave that to Luke and the new Jedi. And then we still have Han, Chewie, Lando and Wedge for the space battles.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Leia is too old, but Luke isn't? o_O

Hmm, I wonder if Yoda, Windu, Dooku, Palpatine, and Old Ben were too old too...

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's the same age as Luke. Being twins and all. ;)

12. Hando

Hando Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 7, 2013
    Exactly, the likes of Gillard and his team could make anyone a Jedi Master.

13. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    I don't think Leia would cut it as a politician. We should all know by now, based on historical experience, that rebels, guerillas, terrorists, etc., who attain power usually make lousy governors, dictators, etc.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We know that Leia was a politician before A New Hope though- Senator for Alderaan.

And from the RoTJ novel (and the prequels), we know Mon Mothma was a Senator during the time of the Republic.

15. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    ...tho we really only have the credits (and novelizations, I guess) that even tell us Mon Mothma's name or that the lady barely glimpsed in the non-deleted scenes of ROTS is supposed to be the same character as the un-introduced lady who kicked off the ROTJ briefing.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea that Leia's the political liaison between the Jedi & whatever government is in place, and an ambassador. More of a Jedi that mediates disputes than engages in 'aggressive negotiations', and takes requests from the government to the Jedi when the government wants Jedi aid in a given matter, tho the Jedi mostly operate independently and can respond to requests for assistance from smaller parties, system governments or whatever, rather than waiting for such requests to work up thru bureaucratic levels on Coruscant.

That, or maybe she's a Jedi AND serving as Chancellor or whatever, allowing the Senate to put whatever checks & balances they feel are necessary in place to ensure she doesn't become another Emperor Palpatine, showing that a Force-user can be in a position of power and not let it go to their head, maybe. But if that's the case, she might also be pestered too much by Borsk Fey'lya-types who constantly question her & try to obstruct anything she seeks to accomplish because they think she's got some 'religious' motive or something, as well as have her parentage thrown in her face, too, and that kinda thing probably brings too much 'political' stuff into the mix, too similar to the PT.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I hope there's a Borsk Fey'lya type in the ST–we need a character that we love to hate and yet when he dies, we feel a sense of sadness because we loved him without even knowing it. Borsk's death was overshadowed by Anakin's, yes, but it was still very meaningful–especially after the character changes he had in early Star by Star, endorsing and even encouraging Jedi assistance.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Jedi, like she is in the EU as it belongs.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Maybe she should be a Jedi politician? The right honorable Leia Solo MP working for the Ministry of the Force.

19. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    She should be a politician by day and she puts on the suit at night. And she accidentally force chokes her political enemies in debate. "Sorry. That was just my father coming out of me again". Time for anger management.

BigAl6ft6 and StoneRiver like this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I vote both Jedi and politician.

Toonimator and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  21. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Neither. Retired, maybe doing a little consulting on the side.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If Leia doesn't have any sort of Force power, I think that would be a definite cheat considering how Chosen One-y Force-powerfully her father was and Luke being strong in the Force, so Leia gets the short end of the Force stick once she knows what her family connection is?

Is she a full Jedi? Probably not, I doubt it, and don't really want to see her as a part of the new Jedi order. But there should definitely be an acknowledgement of her having the Force or else it completely eliminates the point of Vader's whole speech in ROTJ about "If you will not turn to the dark side then perhaps she will". Because if Vader thinks that she had potential and in Ep. 7 there's nothing there, what's the point of making her a Skywalker in the first place?

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I really hope they don't hedge on her Force powers though. If they're going to make her a Jedi (which they should) go all out and make her a powerful Jedi Master. I see no reason why she shouldn't be a full Jedi just like Luke since she has the same potential as her brother. I would love to have her Force powers hinted at near the beginning of the film and then at the end some baddie can try and take advantage of the matronly chancellor and that's when she unleashes her full powers on the poor soul. :D

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Hmm... the chancellor unleashing full Force powers on someone. Where have we seen that before? :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    fixed