main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Lapti Nek Controversey

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SlashMan, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    The original band in Jabba's palace looked and sounded dumb, but they were easy to forget and ignore. The new version was just the old one done louder and more annoying, with more members who looked like relatives of the crew getting a chance to be in the movie.

The music was terrible, too. The 1983 music sounded like bad 1980s pop in the background, but Jedi Rocks was like something a little kid came up with on a dodgy app using about three different songs.

2. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    The added shots of the Weequay(i think) drummers seem really awkward to me. And I hate how they do super close ups on the singers.

Huttese 101, Darth Basin and Sarge like this.
  3. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Actually the original music better suits the atmosphere, is far more low-key tone and less in-the-face that poor "Jedi Rock". A better song to me as well.

It is also the one we were used to hearing before the SE, therefore completely belonging to the scene as well as the rest of it.

Indeed Lucas couldn't help to tinker with his movies and change them as the new CGI technology was becoming available....Allowing him to test it for the PT to come on the more.

Definitely the biggest "crap" of all SE's change.

A big relief there will be no more changes...Hope so.

Poe loves Rey and Mr. K like this.
  4. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I think I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed Jedi Rocks.
    And that's coming from someone who grew up watching the unaltered edition (or rather, the original versions) of the movies.

5. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Oh, so YOU'RE the one. ;)

Heroic BB-8 and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  6. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    The OS says that Lapti Nek is "dated"? Then what's not the awful Jedi Rocks with the very dated CG? Heck, all SE CG would've needed a make-over before they released the movies on Blu-Ray.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  7. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    Interesting to hear that people growing up with the original version fully accepted "Jedi Rock" and enjoyed.

I wish I could "WISH AWAY" my O-OT bias ans memories as easily as some can. :cool:

8. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    I wish I could wish away Jedi Sucks...I mean Rocks.

9. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I never said I've wished away my memories or anything, and I didn't. I just said I enjoyed it.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

Giovs likes this.
  11. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    Was just trying to make some humor with WISH AWAY (notorious AOTC's line)...Guess I miss the point.

I fully understood you simply enjoyed it as well. :)

Giovs likes this.
  12. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Having grown up with 'Jedi Rocks' (and having never actually heard Lapti Nek until this thread), I can honestly say I like 'Jedi Rocks'. It sounds otherworldly, and it really helps frame the palace for me. Judging by the lyrics on page 1 of Lapti Nek, the song does sound painfully dated and it's good that they cut it (judging purely by the 'Work it Out' lyrics).

Thoix Heoro likes this.
  13. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    This is obviously a matter of personal preference, and/or whether or not you grew up watching the '83 version of ROTJ with the original Sy Snootles band, etc. Since I grew up with the originals, I don't mind the puppet work in Lapti Nek (or in any of the other OOT films, for that matter). This is just me, but I don't find the lyrics dated, mainly because they're alien & non-understandable. It wasn't until the Internet that I was made aware these alien lyrics were based on?! lyrics that were originally writeen in English.

As has been said, the CGI is so glaringly bad/obvious in Jedi Rocks. Heck, even if you prefer the song to Lapti Nek, you have to admit it looks awful. It looks even worse on the Blu-ray since the picture is so crystal-clear, making it look even more artificial. I know many will disagree with me on this, but IMHO this is the worst change of all the changes in the '97 SE/2004 DVD/2011 Blu-ray releases (closely followed by the young Anakin ghost in 2004 DVD). Heck, at least they improved the "Greedo s. first" scene for the 2011 Blu-ray....

Re: Lapti Nek, because of this thread, I've actually gone back and re-listened to the Meco version of the song, but not the original original. And, this Meco version has now become my favorite version of the song ;) (I've got the 2006 DVD's with the half-a$$ed version of ROTJ on there, but the picture quality is so bad & it's non-anamorphic, that I can't stand to watch it). In any case, I think it's unfortunate that, because of these SE & subsequent changes & because there is no good version available of the original '83 ROTJ for viewing, the original Lapti Nek song is fading into obscurity. Most kids these days, even if they are SW fans, have probably never heard of the song...

14. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I would love Jedi Rocks if it had that fat synth bass and was more of a keyboard jam. I like any song sung in the language of a slug mafia.

And I will say I love the new CG Snootles. Weequay drummers....I wouldn't have put them in there but I'm happy to say my childhood nostalgia remains intact.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I like all versions of Sy Snootles better after seeing her episode of TCW. The big "Anything Goes" musical number had me in stitches.

16. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Her voice in TCW is way different from her voice both in Lapti Nek and Jedi Rocks.

17. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Which episode is that anyway? I think I missed it.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  18. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Trust me, you didn't... The Da Hutt Moda dance sequence appeared in the ninth episode of the third season, "Hunt for Ziro".

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

That's because ROTJ had such significant changes that it required new music, to fill the screen time. ANH and TESB just extended, or reused existing cues to fill the void.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. Matt Frame

Matt Frame Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2016
    I don't know if people are still interested in 'Lapti Nek' vs 'Jedi Rocks' but, for fun, I edited a version using the original 1983 song (Lapti Nek) with some of 1997 Special Edition Sy Snootles footage. It's below if you are interested. Thanks!

21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Jedi Rocks brought the sequence closer to the spirit in which it was originally envisioned:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the closest Lapti Nek ever comes to giving us a shot like that:

[​IMG]

The OOT sequence doesn't contain even a smidgen of the sense of unrestrained energy and Dionysian excess communicated by the McQuarrie original.

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
  23. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I always loved the Jabba Palace scenes in ROTJ and it's one reason why it's my fave movie of all time. I like Jedi Rocks but Lapti Nek is classic and it doesnt have all the stupid CGI shoved in your face

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Lapti Nek fits Jabba's Palace far more than Jedi Rocks imo. Jedi Rocks is still fun to listen to at times though.
    The aliens are pretty bad in Lapti Nek but they are way too obnoxious in Jedi Rocks.
    Leapt Nek is available on I-Tunes. Look for the original ROTJ soundtrack with the blue lightsaber on it.

DarthCricketer and theMaestro like this.
  25. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    It is a shame. I think Lapti Nek is played in Battlefront II though.