main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Well I am looking at more how the different format could effect the EU. But I guess it would be a mods call.

2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    There's no reason to assume that it wouldn't be able to work as a TV show, given the limited info made available about it. But it clearly isn't going to be given the chance to, since from what we know it definitely doesn't seem to be the sort of Star Wars product Disney is going to want to put out.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Direct to DVD mini-series set! All online streaming! Chance to do something different with such a strong brand as Star Wars could open up new profit ventures!

4. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Well I would like to see more than just a mini-series. But I would not mind a Band of Brother type mini-series based around the Galatic Civil War.

5. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Double Post. Sorry.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    The scripts for the live action series were set during the dark times. The new animated series is set during the dark times. I'm pretty sure you're not getting a live action series.

Kay Suhyun likes this.
  7. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    From the sound of things, Rebels isn't going within a mile of the stuff that was in the LA scripts.

spicer and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It could if done right

9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Its possible to run two shows the the same era so long as they cover different enough material. That sounds particularly if the discussion Underworld is suppose to be fairly mature I vaguely recall has any validity. Yeah, give it 10 years and a live action show could totally come along and replace Rebels.

10. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I could see Underworld going from 14 BBY to 4 BBY and Rebels 3 BBY to 0 BBY.

So the Dark Times era would go like this in my mind:
    Droids (15 BBY)
    Underworld (14 BBY-4BBY)
    Rebels (4 BBY-0 BBY)

11. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    Source?

12. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Well the basic plot is supose to be set around the Rebelion not the crimnal underworld (sorry for any misspelled words there auto-correct is not working and I suck at spelling).

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  13. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The live action was supposed to an M rated show following the scum of the underworld. Rebels is airing on Disney XD... I'm pretty sure there won't be any plots revolving around drugs and prostitution.

spicer likes this.
  14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Yea, cause Disney won't allow it.

15. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    They could as a show on ABC. But they are still going to have to tone I down a bit. But ABC's other like Once Upon a Time is a bit dark for its genre.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Old quote from EW article linked from the wiki page re. ability to produce / comparison with "SHIELD" (short version: "Daymn! This looks expensive!!")

Lee said he wasn’t sure if the project was still viable. “It’s going to be very much up to the Lucasfilm brands how they want to play it,” he said. “We got to a point here with Marvel, a very special point, where we’re in the Marvel universe, and very relevantly so, but we’re not doing The Avengers. But S.H.I.E.L.D. is part of The Avengers. So maybe something oblique is the way to [approach the Star Wars universe] rather than going straight head-on at it.”

If there's 50 friggin scripts sitting on a shelf, that's why I'm saying mini (okay, maxi) series. 5 seasons. 10 episodes each. ABC can get into the HBO style "event" mini blast of programing style (TV seems to be generally trending that way anyway). Stick it on the summer so ratings won't be a huge thing.

17. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Well as far as I know it would have nothing to do with the Skywaliers so it would not be a head-on takenof the Star Wars francise.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Rebels is going to be shown on Disney XD and feature a "band of teens", thus geared primarily towards that age group. I see no reason why they couldn't do a separate show geared towards adults.

Darth Chiznuk , spicer and JasonW like this.
  19. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012

And they SHOULD do something geared towards adults. I'm tired of the family/kids-friendly side of Star Wars, we need diversity and something for older fans. I had huge hopes for "1313", but it was cancelled...

20. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    They need to show the war part of Star Wars more too. Instad of all this Jedi junk.

21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    This

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Honestly, TCW got pretty dark at times and I don't see a reason why Rebels won't be able to do the same.

Also, between the new movies coming and the announcement of Rebels (and especially the time period that Rebels will cover), I have some doubts that they'll ever seriously revisit the idea of making a new live action TV show... or at least one set during this same time period.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't see why not.

24. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I choose OTHER...

Here is why:

- The easy way is producing a huge series of books and comics. That also requires a budget, but not as astronomical as "Game of Thrones". It will still get George's stories to the public, but it will not kill the production company in the process.

- Speaking of "Game of Thrones", it has been said that their episodes take 5-10 million per episode. That is the same price Lucas suggested for his Underworld series. So a TV series is a possible option.
    Now the question is: Does Disney have the guts to put out such a series out there with such a budget?

There are two reasons I think a TV version of the SW series will never work anymore under Disney:

1. Disney seem to be the ones that choose the easy or lazy and cheap way when it comes to live-action TV series. Look at their live-action shows - low budget, horrible writing, everythings looks cheap and lazy.
    I do not see them pulling the effort that HBO has over the years with shows like "Rome", "The Tudors" or "Game of Thrones".

2. A series like "Game of Thrones" has 30 episodes so far. With an estimated 5-10 million dollar budget for each episode, it turns out that the production of a great show like "Game of Thrones" equals the amount of money a company spends on a blockbuster these days. With the lame Episode VII coming, I doubt Disney would be rushing to make the live-action series any time soon.
    The new trilogy will hit cinemas everywhere and it will advertised everywhere and all the time like normal campaigns do. It is more likely that in that way more people will see the SW of Disney than if a TV series is produced and put on a random Disney channel. Then it will have more competition to deal with, a bigger chance that it could be missed by many casual viewers and so on.

Only time will tell what comes out of the whole situation...

25. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd love to see Underworld and I don't think Rebels is stealing its place or anything. They both seem to be very different shows with very different purposes. Our best hope is to wait until Episode 7 is released; Star Wars mania will be at its highest and hopefully Disney will attempt to capitalize on it with new expeditions into television. Much like the success of Avengers probably influenced the new SHIELD series that's coming out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.