main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    So, has anyone read Crucible? Sarge221, maybe?

I've heard some pretty nasty things about it and the reviews on this site haven't been great. I'm pretty leery about it myself and wasn't even going to purchase it, but I managed to get a deal on it and it finally arrived in the mail this afternoon. I plan to start reading it tonight, but I was curious if anyone else has read it and what they thought of it.

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I've read it. I don't think it is as bad as people are saying as far as entertainment value (which is what I look for in a book) however it...ugh...I love Troy Denning and I really hate to say this, but the book is not a Star Wars book. It read more like a straight sci-fi book. It is something that would fit better in the Star Trek universe and that really bothers me. I definitely had several wtf moments. I appreciate what he was trying to do, but I think he failed at doing it in a believable way.

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks for the response, sey! :)

And blah...I was afraid you were going to say that. So, does it include a lot of the 'wonky' stuff from FotJ - such as Beyond Shadows and things like that? That just didn't feel like Star Wars to me and it was one big reason why I couldn't finish the series. I'm trying to stay optimistic about the book, but it's hard. I guess there's only one way to find out for myself if I like it or not - that's to actually read the darn thing! :p

4. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    It is even worse... I think you should read it because the best written character is Han Solo, hands down.

5. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay...that restored some hope! :p

6. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    I actually haven't read it but I think that's because I've finally given up on the EU. Between FotJ and the new Star Wars trilogy coming out, I've just stopped caring about anymore new books <.< Unless maybe we get a new X-Wing series though I wonder if that'll be enough since, admittedly, there were a couple things about Mercy Kill that made me hope that, as good as the book was, it would remain as one book and not a series.

7. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    :(
    All is lost when sarge has lost hope.

Sarge221 likes this.
  8. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Well I think the big problem with the EU nowadays is that its free territory now for authors to do whatever they want. I mean FotJ was a disastrous case where you had multiple authors that wanted to do their own storyline and put most of the focus on it. That and when you combine it with new technologies and politics...its just a mess now and I can hardly call the EU Star Wars anymore. From what you say, Crucible has that problem where, despite having the Big Three, it doesn't feel like Star Wars.

See, back in the old days of the EU, it was still clearly Star Wars mostly because the setting was still Star Wars: you had a Rebellion/Republic and Empire/Imperial Remnant. There was still a conflict that can still be traced back to the movies where you had Rebel X-Wings and TIE Fighters swooping around while a revitalized Jedi Order took to the field.

But with things how they are...its just Sci-fi and not Star Wars. It's near impossible for me to invest in it anymore.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Wait wait wait.

We aren't talking about that thing about the Salem Witch Trials?

Ramza likes this.
  10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    [​IMG]

The old days of the EU.

Saintheart likes this.
  11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Dammit, they made the side characters too entertaining in this game. I have no desire to kill these party members, they're consistently amusing. Forgive me, Walter and Jonathan, I'm fully aware of what I do. [​IMG]

Shook up the canon too much. Everything after From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker is apocryphal.[face_not_talking]

12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'm just saying the EU literally stretches back to the months following ANH's release - the earliest EU stuff I actually remember is Young Jedi Order stuff, which came out when I was five. Basically 1995-2000 was prime for EU media, but there's always been EU stuff, so are we hankering for early EU or golden age EU?

13. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Anything that's not modern****everything EU :p

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Whills it is, then.

I like my EU the way I like my Melee - No items, Final Destination, Whills only.*

I'm kidding of course, competitive Smash Bros. is a cancer that should be consigned to the flame.

Unlike the Whills.

15. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    [​IMG]

:p

Ramza likes this.
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    ZOMG SARGE YOU CAN'T PLAY BRAWL BECAUSE METAKNIGHT IS OP!!!1!!1

METAKNIGHT IS ONLY OP BECAUSE WE BANNED THE STUFF THAT BALANCES THE GAMEPLAY BUT THAT'S BESIDES THE POINT!!1!!112!

Sarge221 likes this.
  17. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    It's now the 18th of July in my timezone - which makes me 23!

Ramza likes this.
  18. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I just bought something off of steam. You've all corrupted me (and they've finally got some of the old star wars games mac compatible!)

19. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Happy Birthday Peng, I'm 2 years and 2 days older than you. :p

Penguinator likes this.
  20. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I don't hit my birthday till September :p

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Happy birthday, Peng!

Penguinator likes this.
  22. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    Happy birthday, Peng!

(For some reason I always thought you were older than me. :p Maybe because I tend to assume everyone on the internet is older than me despite that not being the case.)

Penguinator likes this.
  23. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    I tend to assume that I'm at least a year older then most people here.

....I think Peng is the only accurate case here though so happy birthday Peng!

Haha, what did you end up getting?

Penguinator likes this.
  24. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Happy birthday, Peng!

Penguinator likes this.
  25. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I got the two Jedi Knight Academy games.

Mobile sock of s65horsey