main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming One Step Closer (and I'm about to RROD): The Xbox One Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, May 21, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's usually safe to say that if a piece of hardware or tech is integrated into a system so that all of the install base will have access to it, then you will see it used better than an optional peripheral.

I think Rumble Paks were the only optional accessory for a console that ever achieved widespread adoption beyond a only a few games (though it didn't hurt to have it packed-in with a top-selling game like Star Fox 64*). Heck, even the memory cards for the N64 were only really used by a handful of games due to the cartridge format (thus making them optional as opposed to PSX, PS2 or GCN where memory cards were required).

*If they had made it so a Kinect came with, say, Halo 3, it'd be a very different story right now.

07jonesj likes this.
  2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I still find it amazing people are creeped out by the camera watching them even though it's off and isn't actually watching them. Then they go post incriminating stuff on Facebook.

Darth_Invidious and Jedi_Matt like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it's only off if you physically turn it off/disconnect (diskinect?) it. By default it'll always be on (since it's listening for you to tell it to turn the system on).

I don't think people really think it's being used to spy on you, but are more concerned that it could be, given what the tech can do, how it's hooked up to an online system to a company that supposedly has provided information to the NSA, etc.

(Or, at the very least, are concerned someone might be able to hack it to allow it to do so without Microsoft's intent)

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hopefully I'm probably just being pessimistic about future gaming. Its just interesting watching how things go up and down. A generation ago the PS2 was supreme and the Xbox was struggling, then the 360 took the lead with the PS3 playing catchup for years. Neither next-gen console has launched yet, but now the Xbox reputation took a big hit from the XB1 intro, while Sony has seemingly learned a lot of lessons from the PS3 launch.

Heh, I remember picking up a Donkey Kong N64 with its expansion pack, that seemed fancy back in the day. Now its all about future cloud computing (at least for the XB1). And oh yeah, the Super Game Boy, that was classic, although the Gamecube Gameboy Player was pretty neat too.

Speaking of connectivity, did they say if XB1 controllers ran on batteries or rechargable? Its one of the more minor details, but just curious. I'm paranoid by now about leaving batteries in any of my gadgets too long as sometimes I open them up after a few months and fine them corroded (probably from being careless from where I leave them). Both the Wii U and PS3 (hopefully PS4) at least both have rechargeable controllers, so hopefully the XB1 will follow that trend.

I never liked the Kinect, which is why hearing its included with every XB1 is a major reason for me not to bother with that system, especially as its driving up the cost too. At least Sony hasn't forced its motion controls on consumers and even the Wii U has moved away from it mostly. The camera thing is probably partially privacy (that NSA thing is still in the news) and probably annoyance at how there's no option to just throw the Kinect in a closet after buying an XB1. Though personally I would be more paranoid about the webcams many computers have installed these days, but I'm too lazy to care that much. Well, even if the camera can't be used that way, with how Microsoft was acting during the XB1 intro, with online connection required for installing games and 24-hour check-ins required for gameplay period, spying would seem like the next step. Well, it would actually be a huge step and they probably wouldn't go that far, but people were annoyed enough by everything else already so the required Kinect didn't help matters much and just made them more paranoid.

5. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Batteries, bizarrely. I mean, how hard can it be? Rechargable controllers are hardly ground-breaking technology. The competition's had it as standard for 7 years, for crying out loud!

6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Wait, really?

That is bizarre. They've spent how many millions on R&D for the hardware and for the Kinect 2.0, but the controller still uses AA batteries?

7. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I honestly prefer controllers with AA batteries - if they die, I swap out in a second. I mean, as a starving student I invested in a charge and play adapter for my 360, but really, the habit of buying AA batteries is already there for me.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it - why wouldn't they encourage AA battery use? That way each controller they sell can bring them added revenue when people get fed up and buy rechargeable packs.

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    What, really? Huh, how... old-fashioned. Another reason not to buy then. Its a minor hassle to keep controllers plugged in to recharge, but I barely use AA batteries for anything anymore. Everything else is rechargeable or wired or something like that. But then guess its another way for Microsoft to make more money, either people buy more AAs or they buy the optional rechargeable battery. I don't think Microsoft is even including a headset with the XB1? Not that I ever used one, but I've heard its a big thing for multiplayer.

9. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Why would you need a headset when you've got a microphone in the Kinect?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I would imagine for situations where you wouldn't want the comm chatter coming through the TV speakers.

11. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005

As someone who does take part in in-game chat, let me be the first to say that having a Kinect is worse than having no way to communicate at all, and the ultimate way to get yourself muted. I will barely be able to understand a word of what you're saying, and will be getting a lot of useless background noise I could really do without. At least no mic lets the rest of us carry on without you.

Penguinator likes this.
  12. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    They have said that you can turn Kinect off, unless it's actually needed for kinect features. I'll just have mine off and use a headset. I never did like the headset that came with the 360 as it's only one ear. I don't like have voice chat only in one ear and it muffles the game audio in that ear too. I have a nice one that does game and chat audio quite nicely. They're bringing out adaptors so I can still use it. As for why I'd rather use my headset? I'm going to use a headset for game audio and mine has a built in mic, plus it's easy to mute. I'm hoping the mute options will be easier to use though. I sometimes play with people I don't have added as friends so I can't really use the 'mute all but friends' option, and changing that means signing out and then signing in every single time. That's if I remember to do it before I start the game, otherwise I have to exit the game.

On the subject of the batteries, I much prefer it that it's not got a built in pack. I keep the charge cable in all the time and only use a battery pack when I want to use my mic. I'd rather be able to quickly swap out a battery pack than hunt down a cable in the middle of a game. It doesn't make any difference during single player as the 360 pauses the game, but you can't pause a multiplayer game. I also know that if I keep my controller plugged in with the battery pack in it'll ruin the pack. If that happens then I can just replace it, but if it's built into the controller then the whole controller has to be replaced. With the X1 I can just have an empty thing in the controller and only use the battery pack when I want and nothing gets ruined.

Also, if you only have one controller with built in batteries and you've just broken your cable, then you'll be stuck until you can replace the cable. If I break my cables I can just shrug and use AA batteries. The nearest shop that sells those is 2-3 minutes walk away, and the nearest gaming shop is an expensive day trip or a few days waiting for delivery from the internet. I'd still have to replace the cable, but I can save money and buy it on the internet and keep gaming in the meantime.

13. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Has the tech spec for the new Kinect sensor been released? It might have noise cancellation built in?

But the Xbox headsets were terrible... I think MS are probably of the opinion that everyone who wants a headset has a headset rather than their crappy one...

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I generally game mic-free when I do play online multiplayer, so either way it's not a big deal for me.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Penguinator: I'm the same, I'd rather be mic free. The only exception is when I'm playing with friends, and that's not often.

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Mejor Nelson did an unboxing of, which I'll add below. It's not the most exciting of videos as there's nothing really new. It is good to see it next to someone though as it gives a better sense of scale. It looks like it's about the same size the the Xbox 360 S, which is fine. What's also worth noting is that he says the headset is included in both Day One and standard editions of the console. Not sure if that's a recent thing or not as I seem to recall them saying it wouldn't be in there. It's good news though.

17. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I think it's hilarious that Microsoft thinks we're all waiting for an unboxing as opposed to, say, a release date.

Draconarius and Darth_Invidious like this.
  18. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I actually shook my head every time he said how beautiful that fugly VCR of a next green console looked.:rolleyes:

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I kinda like it. I would say it's beautiful but it's far from fugly. It looks a lot nicer than the PS4. That's just blech.

20. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    I think they're both hideous, actually. Good thing we'll be looking at the TV, not the consoles.

Penguinator and Darth_Invidious like this.
  21. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Yeah, they both look like... black boxes, except the PS4 is in italic.

Fortunately I don't care even a little bit about it's appearance. It's what's inside that counts. :)

Draconarius likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The retro late-90's tech look of the XB1 was one of the things I liked about it most ;).

The headset is a useful detail to include. I think the PS4 is including one too, no? If so, with the Wii U Gamepad basically being a built-in headset, it would have been really strange for the XB1 to be the only next-gen system to not have one included, particularly with XBL/online gaming being such a core selling point of the brand.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  23. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Why the hell do folks even care about the appearance of the physical console? It'll get placed in some unobtrusive spot or in a home entertainment centre alongside the generic black DVD or Blu-Ray player you already own, not to mention your satellite box.

If it's plain and black, then it will be totally neutral in any room, regardless of decor.

Jedi_Matt and Draconarius like this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    An appealing looking device will compel more consumers to look at it. Though the substance of the machine and it's content is ultimately king, an appealing style can make something either fit in without being invisible or help it "pop" amongst similar devices. There's also a factor at work in terms of the brand presentation one might identify with.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It's a small detail in the grand scheme of things, but it helps if it looks nice. I wouldn't have bought the Halo 4 edition 360 if it didn't looks so good. It doesn't affect it in any way but it does look good on my desk where I put it. It's like a book in a way. The outside won't change the inside at all but you'd still want to design a nice cover for a book because that's what people see first.

The2ndQuest: yeah, the PS4 does have a headset but it's a one of those horrible ones that goes into your ear, like an old style phone handsfree set. Although, looking at it, it seems like it'll sit in the ear rather than going right in like a lot of earbuds do. The mic is still in the wire though. Like this:
    http://themodernmage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/PS4-Mono-Headset.jpg

I think the reason why MS originally wasn't going to include one was because Kinect would be able to do voice chat. Turns out that people didn't want that and there was a lot of fuss because old headsets won't work so they've now added it to bundles. I still won't use it but it'll nice to have until I can get an adaptor for my Gioteck EX-05s or the Gioteck EX-06 headset.