main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Just Saw RotJ in Theaters for the 1st Time!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Vladimir777, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Vladimir777

Vladimir777 Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2013
    Just saw Return of the Jedi in theaters for the first time this past weekend. While I saw the original Star Wars when it was re-released in the Special Edition format back in '97, I didn't see either of its sequels when they were re-released in the subsequent months. This was the first time I ever saw the final film of the trilogy in theaters, and I had a good time, although I was somewhat disheartened, since the movie theater I went to had the film cranked up so incredibly loud that it hurt my ears. Also, the audience was quite vocal through a lot of it (not in a good way), and kept laughing at a lot of the lines ("I feel the anger swelling up within you," by Palpatine; the scenes where Luke reveals to Leia their true relationship; and, most annoyingly, during Yoda's death scene). I mean, really, how immature can the audience get? Still, it was a great privilege to get to see this movie on the big screen.

Watching all of the Special Editions (I'm showing my GF the movies for the first time), it's pretty annoying to see the CGI changes that Lucas has made. They are so glaring, and the original SFX holds up so beautifully, even on the big screen, that it makes one wonder what the hell Lucas was even thinking when he added them in. They were so pointless, yet so glaring.

So what are your guys' experience been with the OT on the big screen? I'm hoping they maybe do 3D re-releases or something to get the other ones on the big screen, since I'd love to see Episodes IV and V as well (and VI without the volume up so high!)!

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw all three of them as a kid, when they were originally released. My main memory is of hearing "I am your father" for the first time.

Saw them again in my college campus theater, which did a marathon one night starting at 9 p.m. and running until 3 a.m. That was in 1991.

And saw them again when the SEs were released, one per month.

If I had to pick one best "big screen" experience, I would say the moment the Star Destroyer appears on screen in ANH.

I'm with you in that I would love a 3D release.

3. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I saw ROTJ in it's original release in 1983. I was 5 years old and it was about the coolest thing in the world. The feeling in the packed theatre was electric. It was cool seeing the SE in '97, but it wasn't quite the same experience. Everyone was, like in your descript, already very aware of the story and dialogue and audience behavior was compromised accordingly. If I had a time machine, I'd live the '80s again. It was a great time to grow up.

Totally agree. I understand the restoration was necessary and it indeed was. ANH probably did benefit from some of the fx enhancements, but the tinkering with the other two films were just a money-grab. The only logical change was branching out Cloud City so it looked like they're walking through a real city and not a futuristic shopping mall. Also the new finale to ROTJ makes better sense to wrap up the saga (although I still prefer the YubNub song!)

4. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    It must have been a great experience indeed. All those years after.

Like Anakinfan, saw each movies in their original release back in 1977-1983 as a kid (6-13 years old), plus some other time thereafter, and for the SE.

Anticipation was particularly high before ROTJ in 1983 (Summer), as it's around that time that I really became fascinated by those movies, and the Saga as a whole, with the PT (previous trilogy at that time) looming ahead.

I enjoyed the film very much (despite the Ewoks...), although ESB has become my favourite since the mid 80's. But ROTJ's not far behind, at par with Star Wars/ANH for the OT.

Mr. K likes this.
  5. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    So do I.

for Star Wars/ANH, the only understandable change to me was the "new" scene featuring Luke and Biggs conversation before taking-off (as well as brief talk with Red leader...), expalining why Luke and Biggs seem to be good friends during the DS battle. Only a real cut scene reintroduced that serve some purpose.

For ESB, Vader talking to the Emperor also had a good reason to be modified (although I personally like the original scene very much, with the Emperor's awesome and chilly look). But the 2004's modification was a real letdown, with Palpy looking more like an eerie ROTS's Sidious than the Emperor in ROTJ.

Mr. K likes this.
  6. Ord-Mantell70

Mar 9, 2009
    lingering memory of ROTJ when I first saw it in 1983 :

Yoda's line : "Don't underestimate the powers of the Emperor, or suffer your father's fate you will..."

Couldn't forget that phrase.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I never had the fortune of seeing the OT, or TPM and AOTC in theaters. I was hoping that the 3D conversions would pan out and I'd be able to see them finally, but nope.

8. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    What the....how did you see it on the big screen?

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm wondering this too.

10. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Or when Vader says to Luke on Endor, "You don't know the power of the Darkside...I must obey my master!"

I always took those statements that The Emperor put Vader in his place right after Episode III, (probably electrocuting him) so he would obey him and never try to take him out. I also thought The Emperor was the only one who could use lightning until Dooku used it in Episode II, and that made the Emperor much more powerful then anyone.

11. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    see im wondering you complain about the cgi but want to see 3D which is the ultimate in tinkering for me.... i saw all the originals when they came out (im 41) they really dont need 3D, hate 3D

12. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Saw ROTJ on it's initial release in '83 several times in the theatre, and also saw the ROTJ: SE several times in the theatre in '97. Obviously the '83 version was the most iconic for me since it was the original & since I was a kid at the time.

Seeing the film during the SE releases in '97 was very nice, since the picture & sound quality had been remastered/improved. And, the old Sebastian Shaw Anakin ghost at the end was still intact (he was only replaced by the young Anakin in the 2004 DVD). In fact, IMHO THE ROTJ SE would have been perfect if not for Jedi Rocks...

Sarge likes this.
  13. Vladimir777

Apr 30, 2013

To answer this, I saw it at the AFI Silver theater in Silver Spring, MD. They show old movies there all the time. I'm sure they have a similar theater nearby if you live near a big city (LA, NYC, Boston, SF, etc.). I also just watched Lawrence of Arabia and Patton in their original 70mm on the big screen, which was a lot of fun.

14. Vladimir777

Apr 30, 2013

Mostly I just want to see the others on the big screen, and I figure 3D might be my only way to do it. I would never want the "final edition" that you get on Blu-ray to be only 3D, since I want a "pure," original version to serve as a reference copy of the movie, as I'm sure most on here do. But I'm not sure when I will get to see Episodes IV-VI on the big screen again (which is a great experience especially for epic movies like LotR, Star Wars, 2001, and Lawrence of Arabia especially) unless they re-release them in 3D, like they did with TPM, which I unfortunately missed (did anyone else go to this? Was it good?). I don't care too much about that, though, since I saw the entire PT in theaters. Had a lot of fun doing it, actually, especially RotS...but I digress.

15. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    I did get to see Lawrence. And Raiders last year.....but I hadn't heard that Jedi was being projected!

16. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Lucas's endless tinkering with those films is maddening.

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  17. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    RotJ is the movie I've seen more times in a theater than any other movie - a total of 17 times (13 in 1983, and an additional 4 in 1997). It's my personal favorite Star Wars movie, so I'm always up for seeing it again. Nothing like it on the big screen.

18. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I would like to see them all in the theater again, maybe they will do something like that to promote the ST.

I want to see them as is though, not 3D or enhanced in some way

19. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    To answer your question, Vladimir, about TPM....I saw it in 3D. It was awesome to see it on the big screen again (it's one of my favorite movies) but the 3D was underwhelming. And the sound was subpar but for that I fault the theater who probably had some mouth-breathing Jar Jar hater at the sound board. It was very low and not shaking the theater as I expected Sebulba's podracer to do.

20. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i see the altered versions as purely what GL wanted to do in the first place, lots of the added bits make perfect sense, Biggs, Hayden at end of ROTJ, More X Wings... its so trendy to knock the new versions, ive not seen the blu ray versions but happy with the last dvd release - they are SW to me now

21. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i hate it when they dont give you a 2D alternative, tho i did enjoy 'Dredd' as im a massive fan, but anything else i dont go there

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

I'd prefer 2D but I'll take 3D.

23. Vladimir777

Apr 30, 2013

Haha, I was posting on Rotten Tomatoes about my experiences seeing this movie in theaters, and honestly the audience was a bit...much for me. They were a bit geeky for me, even. And I'm bringing this up because someone on RT used the phrase "mouth-breathers" to describe them, so your comment reminded me of that.

Yes, the podrace should be blasting. I remember it being quite loud when I saw that in theaters originally.

24. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes! I really felt cheated. The sound design and music in TPM is such a treat that to not have it at the appropriate levels is criminal.

25. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I can't speak for the rest of the board, but I don't knock the changes because it's trendy. They just don't make sense (except for $$$). ANH benefited from the SE, and Cloud City looks better, and the galactic ending to ROTJ is a better fit for the end of the saga (even though I miss the Yub Nub song)- but most of the changes were completely unnecessary and, in some places, glaring and awkward. In the (updated) words of Vader, "Nooooooo!"

Ord-Mantell70 and Sarge like this.