main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

1. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Slow down rook... it's a long season

J/K :p

Sent from a Galaxy far away via R2-N6

2. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I'm designing Ylesia's uniforms (I missed Illustrator so much) and I think I've sorted out how I can 'backtrack' into last season without writing a novel. Because if I went with the novel it'd take weeks or more and I'd never want to write for Limmie again because I get annoyed when I'm forced into writing something long. But I have a better idea... which I'm working on.

3. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Good. Get hopping because I have something planned for you in Week 3 when the Miners come to town. [face_devil]

Also, because I always forget what the various limmie shows are that we've established, I made a nice little page for Sports Media on the Wiki today. And I got a little inspired to add a relatively reference that Bardan_Jusik to certain holoprogramming that is out there. It was too good to resist. ;) However, I may have now created the next NPC team in the League. As usual, I'm my own worst enemy.

4. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Monday night meshgeroya may have to hire away Krik Weedstreet from the college game... :p

[​IMG]

5. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    May I add 'Agamar Sports Roundup' (another local programme that covers the Packers games, as well as the Collegiate sides, in its Limmie section)?

Host: Dev Tann
    Limmie Correspondent: Vima Moondancer.

6. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    Add away Tim... the Wiki is open to all members

Tim Battershell likes this.
  7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    And editing the game Wiki is a lot like eating Pringles. Once you pop, the fun don't stop!

Tim Battershell likes this.
  8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I added the three shows I established during Marte's run as a sportscaster. I'm pretty sure I had established Elite League Replay as a show on the galactic HSN channel, not on HSN Euceron, but I'm too lazy at the moment to look it up.

And really, Trieste? Stewjon? :p

9. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    I'll hold off the Lightning-referencing portion of my post this week until then.

10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Well if Bardan_Jusik is going to reference the Nightly Show... ;)

jcgoble3 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  11. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006

I may not get this up until Saturday so don't wait on my behalf - I can roll with anything at this point.

12. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    YES to an All-Star Game.

But I think we should have 15-player rosters due to our larger league (compared to having fewer teams back in 270).

And I'm away for two days, and everything goes to hell in the game? I like it. [face_devil]

13. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    What ever do you mean? [face_batting]

14. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I also like having a full roster for the All-Star Game. But no need for reserves. Everyone starts and plays the entire game and we just hope we don't have injuries. :p

[​IMG]

15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    A 15 person roster would mean that many teams would have 2 reps, some would have 1, and other would have 3. It would all depend on their season. I'd probably have the NPC teams under represented and claim that those teams were at best riding one star player all season. ;)

Injuring yourself in an all-star game would be the stupidest thing to ever happen in the history of sports. I mean, that's like building a massive space station and then having it destroyed by proton torpedo that goes into an actually rather large exhaust port.

16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I figure if each of us that wants to participate gives you three names off of our roster that we feel are worthy, you could mold a pair of All Star teams where most of us had two players on the team.

Which means one of us will write it into the game. :p

[​IMG]

17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Injuries do happen in all-star games because accidents happen. Case in point: In the top of the first inning of the MLB All-Star Game three days ago, Robinson Cano was hit by a pitch and had to be removed one batter later. So yes, I think we need reserves, though not a whole lot. Six reserves, one for each line (full/corner forwards, half forwards, midfielders, half backs, full/corner backs, and goalkeeper), should be sufficient.

18. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Just a suggestion,

How about seven-a-side, with two halves of ten minutes each?

19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Also, since our season is ridiculously long already, perhaps we could toss this ASG onto a Wednesday so that we don't shoot an entire week of the game. This is so that we don't have to slow our season down, and those who want to participate can (and those who don't want to or don't really want to go in-depth don't have to sit there for a week).

Tim Battershell, we did a version like that previously, but there are too many teams now.

20. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I was thinking this could be thrown in after the playoffs, but yeah a Wednesday during the season might be better.

Probably a good idea. We would also have to think about venue (make it a bid system like the Galactic Cup or put it at neutral non ELL locations) and coaching staffs.

[​IMG]

21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Oh, I'm sure injuries do happen. But they've got to feel like the stupidest, suckiest injuries ever because they happened in an all-star game.

Regarding team size, as the roster watchers know, I have not cared much about reserves for the Miners (or in general in limmie at all). As a result, my personal inclination is not to have reserves in an ELL all-star game, though that would make a lot of IC sense. If you do that there's a little OOC juggling of "who's playing when, how much time does player X get," and all of that. Expanding the team size to 15 starters + 6 reserves would mean that half the teams would get three players on the squad, the other half would get four. That actually strikes me as a really large number of all stars for a 12 team league. I pulled some comparison numbers:
    • 2013 Pro Bowl: 42 players on the AFC team (16 team conference), averaging 2.625 all-stars per team (however, 3 teams did not have any Pro Bowlers in each conference). 11 players on the field at any given moment.
    • 2013 MLB All-Star Game: 40 players on the AL team (15 team conference), averaging 2.667 all-stars per team. 9 players on the field at any given moment.
    • 2013 NBA All-Star Game: 12 players on the Western Conference team (15 team conference), averaging .8 all-stars per team. 5 players on the court at any given moment.
    • 2012 NHL All-Star Game (no 2013 game due to shortened season): 21 players on the Western Conference team (16 team conference), averaging 1.3125 all-stars per team. 6 players on the ice at any given moment.
    • 2013 MLS All-Star Game: 20 players on interconference team (19 teams total), averaging 1.053 all-stars per team. 11 players on the field at any given moment.
    Just pointing out that even the substitution-heavy NFL only averages 2.625 all-stars a team (and is completely merit-based, unlike the NHL where every team is required to have an all-star and fan balloting is only for 5 of the 21 slots on a team). Food for thought.
    Also, the idea of a Wednesday all-star game has some appeal. ;)

22. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    I agree we shouldn't go beyond two or three All-Stars per team, so we will have to limit the All Star roster in some way. Either a smaller starting lineup or play the game with no reserves...

[​IMG]

23. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I like this idea, though it gets complicated if we pick them ourselves - namely that my all-star is definitely my keeper, but you can only have two of those.

Anyway just let me know what you decide... *works on post*

24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Limmie sevens (which I just checked is seven players plus a goalkeeper, so 8 total) with a full slate of reserves would give two all-stars per and some teams three. It'd be the same as having one starting line up and no reserves, essentially.

I'd take self-nominations and work with them as much as possible, though some people would go home happy. A full all-star ballot would be interesting if we could pull it off and all be objective enough about it. I will admit that the Miners may have more season award nominations than other teams because I'm just plain more familiar with their plots (and you guys remind me of this when Miner characters I think would be shoo-ins for an award get roundly defeated by other nominees [face_laugh]) so I admit I may not be the best voter in this instance.

25. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I think our illustrious GM will make sure everything works out just fine.

But if there are 5 Miners on a fifteen-player team, I think there will be problems. ;)

And it's hard to do a consensus "fan" vote in this game because we don't have actual stats. And because we all think we have the "best" players, we end up with a Brethren Court scenario. Except then someone needs to be Jack Sparrow to break the tie. :p

Trieste likes this.