main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Emphasis on "doesn't need to protect one completely".

The "arms race" between armour and weapons- means that one will never have completely weapon-proof armor for very long. But if it changes "shot dead" to "incapacitated but will make a recovery" - it's done its job.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    1. Symbol of The Machine of dystopia.
    2. Mass produced as cheap, basic uniform.
    3. No need to make something more protective as the Empire rules through fear and have large planet busting things like SD's and Death Stars. Or at least that's the way they see it.

CaptainRegor likes this.
  3. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    This begs another question entirely, (yet I still dont have a answer to the one stated above.) Stormtrooper Armor if Mass Produced on the cheap puts many soldiers of the Empire at risk due to them going into battle, so do they use the sheer force of numbers to overwhelm their rebel opponents with little care to their own losses.........?? and furthermore, where do these numbers come from, It is not Clones ?? How does the Empire recuit millions of humans or humanoids to wear this armor and endanger themselves by doing so........??

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    This can go in the "ask a question" thread...merging.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Exactly the same questions could be asked about any modern soldiers and their flak jackets- and the answer would be the same- they don't think of it as "endangering themselves by wearing poor armour"- they think of it as "protecting themselves sufficiently for the job at hand".

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  6. mvk

mvk Jedi Knight

Jun 5, 2013
    How did Leia know who Obi-Wan was in ANH? When she gives the recording to R2D2 and he goes off to the escape pod to Tatooine?

"Help us Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope"

Is he just a legendary figure that all of the rebels know about? If Obi-Wan was hiding away, watching over Luke from afar all of those years, Leia would've obviously not have known Kenobi.

7. The Laserbrain

The Laserbrain Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2013
    I always assumed Bail told Leia about Obi-Wan. Not necessarily that he was watching over her twin brother, but just that he was a heroic Jedi Knight who was hiding from the Empire on Tatooine. Remember, he was there with Yoda and Obi-Wan aboard the Tantive IV when Obi said he would take Luke to Tatooine, so he probably told Leia Obi-Wan could help her deliver the Death Star plans if anything went wrong with the mission.

SlashMan likes this.
  8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    But really, it's just "What the" and a scream. They couldn't be bothered to redo that? Ugh <_<

9. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    Was it keep his body clean or something to keep him alive , I'm assuming that I'm right in thinking that He did this on a regular basis, but I've always wondered why he did that.

10. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    im guessing it would be pretty warm in that thing

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's a life support/meditation chamber that allows him to breathe without the helmet and mask. I imagine it probably maintains a high oxygen atmosphere, much higher than normal, so it's basically giving him oxygen therapy. It also works a bit as an isolation chamber, which is good for meditation.

It may also be a bit of a hyperbaric chamber, which is sometimes used to treat burns and infected skin, like skin grafts.

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Or maybe he was thirsty.

13. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    or feelin a little peckish

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Armor chafes, even if it is professionally custom fitted to the wearer. Taking it off at the end of a long hard day is one of life's simple pleasures, and Vader didn't have many of those since the incident.

DarthBoba and Darth_Pevra like this.
  15. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    But the chamber was open, so the whole idea of being able to breathe inside it is not right..

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Think of it as the oxygen tent that Michael Jackson slept in. He could breathe without it, but it was easier for him to breathe inside it. As we saw at the end of RotJ, removing the mask was not instantly fatal, he was able to carry on a conversation without it, but he'd be in trouble if he tried to run or fight or do anything strenuous that requires a lot of oxygen.

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Merging into "questions? ask it here"

18. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    It heard the knocking noises of the compactor about to start up and knew it had to get out of Dodge.

19. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    In the Star Wars novelization, Ben says that that lightsabers were "once widely used," in line with what we know of the extinction of the Jedi, but goes on to say that they "still are, in certain galactic quarters."
    What was intended by this statement? The novel still goes along with the fact that the Jedi were hunted to [near]-extinction, so he couldn't be referring to Jedi. Maybe he was taking about agents of the Dark Side? Possibly the McQuarrie sketches of Stormtroopers with lightsabers is relevant.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In the early drafts of the saga, almost everyone used sabres, as seen in the McQuarrie art. As the story evolved, GL decided only Jedi and Sith used them. I assume Ben's line is a holdover from early drafts.

But that hasn't stopped people from coming up with alternative explanations for those "certain galactic quarters." You might want to see what Wookieepedia has to say about Tapani Sector.

21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    There's some Marvel material that deals with non-Jedi who have sabres-one of the members of the Tagge family (turns out the scummy tool Vader chokes on the Death Star is from a snobby Core World family :p) duels Vader and loses his eyes in the process.

Cause Vader don't play dat game. :p

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I feel like he doesn't.

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    This'd be more appropriate for the "ask a question" thread. Merging.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Awkward merging. Could I edit my post to include the question that was asked in my thread title?

25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Well, to put it bluntly, I can't imagine he wouldn't be bothered by it, but it's more like a minor setback to him than an actual defeat.

I mean, come on, he's the frigging emperor of the galaxy. He has literally unlimited powah funds and materials at his disposal. It took them less than 4 years to build an even bigger and better Death Star.

Overall, no. His real concern was "the young Rebel who destroyed the Death Star", not the fact that it was destroyed in the first place.

EDIT: Sorry for the random timing, I started answering this while it was still its own thread, then had to paste it here