main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Red Sith darkside inclination: Genetic or Cultural?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Jul 17, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What about Sith philosophy?

Ulicus

2. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    Look to the Sorcerers of Tund and their history?

3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm not clear about how The Sorcerers of Tund differed from the Red Sith who banished them. Are you, LivingJediDream?

Ulicus, LivingJediDream, I wonder who "Typhojem, the Left-Handed God" is. (sorry about the font inconsistency)

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Agreed.

Heck, that is a big reason I like Kel'eth Ur so much:

Frankly, with all the focus on the need for detachment and control in order to avoid the dark side...well, the force started to feel less like the wonderous thing it was supposed to be, and more like the Warp from Warhammer - something awful and twisted. Additionally, the fact that the Sith always came back whereas the Jedi were barely able to cling on really made the dark side seem stronger.

But his speech - it is short and simple, but there is something stirring and serene about it - and it shows that even if the Sith were to win a war and wipe out the Jedi, the lightside would return in time just as surely as the dark side does in canon.

A simple thing, but it makes the universe seem to be a better place.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    I think the idea of detachment and control is completely at odds with the films. What is "let go your conscious self and act on instinct," or "try not. Do or do not. There is no try," or "feel, don't think. Use your instincts," in there for?

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    LivingJediDream, Ulicus, I still want to know about Typhojem and why the Sorcerers of Tund were banished.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'd argue that letting go of your conscious self, and learning to feel, rather than think, are examples of detachment. Specifically, detachment from one's Self. Both principles reflect the Jedi's holistic approach to reality and the Force; their acceptance of the interconnectedness of all things, and their belief that where the "One" ends and the "Other" begins is ultimately a meaningless distinction.

The paradox of the Jedi path, I believe, is that the only way one can begin to "control" the Force is by surrendering to it. It's kinda like... "effortless doing", I guess. The Jedi aspire to get to the point where "going with the flow" and "doing what one wants" are identical.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
  9. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    Effortless action. I wouldn't say that it's detachment from oneself, but acting by one's own nature, which is why self-knowledge is important and why we've gotten katabasis stories for Anakin, Luke, and Jacen.

10. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Light side = saidar, dark side = saidin, got it. :p

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The only thing I'm getting is that poor old Typhojem is getting ignored.

12. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Love to help, but I've never heard of the guy.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    A left-handed god who the Red Sith believed in and believed Ajunta Pall to be a manifestation of (this is in Book of Sith). Dan Wallace said he comes from some unpublished Sith backstory.

14. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Neat! I've always thought that Star Wars should have more IU mythology. What's with the left-handedness?

15. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    According to Wookieepedia, Typhojem is the offspring of Tilotny, a character from an Alan Moore Marvel Star Wars comic which involves time travel. The adjective "left-handed" is evocative of the idea that there's left-handed and right-handed magic, and that left-handed is evil and right-handed is good. Sinister is derived from Latin for left-handed. I assume that Typhojem is also one of Darth Vader's immortal gods of the Sith that he always swears by in Marvel Star Wars.

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, that's what I was trying to get at with the final sentence. That's it's... kinda... both.

I think one of the best examples in the literature we have of what I'm getting at is probably Obi-Wan's POV scene on the Invisible Hand in the RotS novel.

Anyhoo, we're kind of digressing from Dloft*'s topic at this point. If you'd like, we can continue (or not!) via PM.

(Though I'm not sure I have much else to say.)

Had to google that, I'm afraid! :p

*This is my nickname for you, now, darklordoftech, since having to write out "darklordoftech" all the time is too much work.:p

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Actually, I think the left-handed thing is based on the Red Sith themselves being left-handed. Wookieepedia says that Typhojem is suggested to be an offspring of Tilotny.

18. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    The Red Sith are left-handed for the same reason.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    This I agree with.

20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Typhojem was suggested to be an offspring of Tilotny in a cancelled story. So it should be taken with a grain of salt.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What I want to know is if that cancelled story mentions the Red Sith.

22. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    Probably not because Tilotny has nothing to do with the Red Sith.

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Darn it. I'm hungry for Red Sith info.

24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    From what I gather, Typhojem was one of those ridiculously powerful entities who masqueraded as gods to oppress and enslave planets. That cancelled story apparently mentioned that Typhojem was also worshipped on Mimban under the name of Pomojema (remember Splinter of the Mind's Eye?)

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Are you implying that he enslaved the Red Sith? (LelalMekha, in case you didn't see my edit)