main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Excactly what I think.
    Luke and Anakin Skywalker are related, but they are both strong and unique characters in their own right. In fact, I'm pretty sure them being related was something added in later, and not initially intended. The next main protagonist should be similar in this way. They should not ride on any other character's accomplishments or fame. If Luke had a clone son that resembles him in any way, that would defeat the purpose of making an entirely different character. I think having a student as a successor would make it easier for the next main protag to be unique.

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Luke's kid need not be protagonist.

Many good stories are about family. Back to the future for instance is another classical all family movie like the original Star Wars and heavily dealt with family.

kainee, Trebor Sabreon and Toonimator like this.
  3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I'd prefer widowed and don't mention her name. This allows Mara to survive the EU slaughter that is to come. It also keeps the focus on Luke and not on having to develop his wife.

If he can have a son and his name is Ben, great. If not, oh well.

4. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Just had to respond to this, because I wanted to snark at Mara some more: not only did she act like a drama queen during her pregnancy, she also broadcast her labor pains through the Force all across the galaxy. If by some miracle she isn't the center of attention at any given time, she makes it so she is. And she was a Jedi master at the time, as opposed to Leia, who was "half trained and uncertain in the Force," as the NJO never tired of reminding the reader. Some 20 years earlier, when Leia was in labor with twins, she didn't broadcast her labor pains all over the damn galaxy, and she wasn't even "half-trained" at the time.

5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Worst scene ever was when Anakin died and Mara only cared how it affected her unborn child, not how it affected the entire family. She came across like a psychopath in that book.

6. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Exactly! My feeling is that either the early-20s 'witty/smart' guy or one of the teen women will be the "Luke"-type character, the main hero. The late-20s handsome guy or the 30-ish intellectual could easily be Luke's son--or his kid could be someone who is NOT a "lead character" like the 7 in the casting call! Could be a supporting character a notch under the rest, or someone who MIGHT become 'promoted' to a 'lead' role in the following film (for instance, an early/mid-teens character, perhaps, not listed among the leads... more like EpI Anakin, only not so pivotal to the plot, accidentally or otherwise)

A theoretical situation: late-20s is Han & Leia's son. One of the teens is their daughter. Early-20s is one of Luke's first Jedi, who is LIKE a son to him, and has had a friendly rivalry with Luke's nephew, a few years his senior... Solo Jr and Faux Skywalker (Early-20s) might be somewhat similar to Biggs & Luke back in the day, and Han & Luke later, but a different dynamic than Han & Luke had--perhaps more like Anakin & Obi-Wan supposedly had based solely on ANH, before we knew Obi-Wan trained him (I know, we didn't even know the name 'Anakin' back then). And then Luke's got his own son or daughter, several years younger than Faux Skywalker, a bit jealous of all the attention their older 'brother' gets and chomping at the bit for full Knighthood & the chance to go out & explore the galaxy like Solo Jr & Faux get to do--which the young Skywalker WILL get to do in VII, set a few years later, partnered with Solo Jr, Faux, or the Solo Daughter. I don't really think we'll see decades-long apprenticeships, tho, so it doesn't mean any of the youngsters need be attached to any of the slightly-older young Jedi as Padawans or anything; I expect Luke's Jedi go thru something closer to what he went thru, but not quite as accelerated during the 'formal training' parts. I'm kinda tired of the "Yes, master... no, master... master, I think we should" blah blah blah Anakin & Obi-Wan went thru in AOTC & even somewhat in ROTS & TCW. Whether we see it in VII, VIII, or IX, it'd be nice to see a couple young fully-trained Jedi out being PALS, no master/apprentice (current or former) relationship between 'em.

Anyway, veering off topic there a bit. Yeah. No reason Luke's kid NEEDS to be the protagonist--or antagonist--in any of the ST films. But I do love the idea of Luke having a family...doing what Anakin kinda wanted to do, but succeeding.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yep, there are almost infinite possibilities for what a Luke child could be. I said before I'd like to see a flesh and blood medic, someone who uses cool gadgets to heal people (or the force as a Jedi healer). This person could be Luke's wife but it could as well be Luke's kid.

Toonimator likes this.
  8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

And people wonder why I don't read the books....

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've come to really like Anakin Solo so I'll have fun going into rage mode over that one.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Tbh it is baffling why Denning wrote it like this. As selfish as Mara could be before that point, she was never that bad.

11. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Well, whether Arndt decides to keep Mara as Luke's wife or make up a totally different character to be his wife, I think we can agree that the character(and all the other characters for that matter) are in good hands with Ardnt(sp?).

12. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I find it a bit strange that people have this kind of "eew icky" thing about Luke having a younger wife. It happens ya know? My fiancee is 20 years younger than me and all is fine. If Luke is early 60s and his wife is early 40s then no stretch there, a 20 ish kid would mean he was early 40s and she was early 20s when she gave birth. Its not like he's cradle snatching.

13. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Mara Jade or I wont watch it. No joke.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I guess the theaters will only make money off one of us then.

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Even if she's a totally different character with totally different characterizations and not even red hair, and the only similarity to EU-Mara Jade is her name and her being Luke's wife? Would you even give it a chance? Just curious.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm going to watch Episode VII no matter what. Even if they cast Carrot Top as Mara Jade!

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I know many people who would prefer Carrot Top to Mara Jade.

18. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Maybe Luke should be a eunuch?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Maybe at the discount theater several months after its release. The same way I saw ROTS.

In the meantime I would entertain myself watching the Jade fans blow up the Internet over the retcon.

Immortiss likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Meh, I wouldn't care either way. I know EU's mostly done for, so if they keep the name, then it's a shout-out. If it's not, did we really expect much anyways?

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Just a reminder... this thread does not need to return to being the "Mara Jade battle" thread. [face_peace]

22. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Yes, he should be all of the above at some point in the film.

In fact, the entire film should be about Luke's tragic love life. After 60 years of Jedi self-imposed chastity, Luke can't deal with it any longer, and he marries a Russian bride he finds over the Internet. They try to get along the best they can, but it's hard because she speaks Russian and he speaks Galactic basic. Their marriage slowly deteriorates. She becomes an alchoholic, and he smokes three packs of death sticks a day to deal with the stress. Then, Obi-Wan appears and tells Luke that he was actually one of triplets, and that just like Leia, the Russian bride is another sister of his. Luke divorces her, and swears off love forever because every time he falls for someone it happens to be a relative. His ex-wife, who doesn't have a clue why Luke has divorced her since she still doesn't understand a word Luke says, falls into a deep depression and drinks herself to death. Feeling overwhelmed by grief, Luke turns to the dark side so that he can gain the Sith power to re-animate the dead. He succeeds and revives his ex-wife, but this comes with a price, and he becomes power mad. They re-marry, and now guided by the dark side, Luke takes over the galaxy. Meanwhile, his Russian wife studies Galactic basic for Dummies, and she is finally able to figure out all the horrible things that Luke has done. She divorces him again and moves back to Russia. Luke withdraws in isolation into his grand palace and becomes a Howard Hughes-like recluse. Years later, as he dies, his last words are "Womp rat... womp rat..." The reporters at the holonet news try to learn the meaning of these words but, in the end, conclude that they are just the incoherent ramblings of a deranged mind. Only we, as the audience, know their true meaning, as we see Luke's childhood T-16 along with many of his possessions moving slowly down a conveyer-belt to an incinerator, and we realize that his days of bulls-eyeing womp rats with his T-16 were the happiest days of his life.

I told you it was a tragic story...

kainee and Pensivia like this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe there's a Crying Game twist and Luke is actually a woman?

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Does the casting call mean anything as to whether or not Luke will be married?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.