main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST George Lucas confirms (almost) Big Three return!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree that the Big 3 will have smaller roles than they had in the OT but I don't think that quote is any indication how large or small their roles will be. I think GL said that to them while the script was still in a nebulous stage so at that point any character could be written out for whatever reason. I think the Big 3 will have supporting roles but large supporting roles similar to Obi-Wan's role in the OT or Yoda and Mace Windu's roles in the PT.

Trebor Sabreon, Echo-07, Lee_ and 2 others like this.
  2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I agree with this, too. And I hope you are correct.

3. jedilips

jedilips Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2013
    I think their involvement (and seemingly excited attitude of being involved) may have "forced" adjustments to the script to make their presence stronger, but I agree overall they are not going to be the focus of the trilogy.

4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if their roles started out bigger in 7 (not as the main stars per se, but quite notable in stature) and then gradually dwindled (or even perhaps died) by 9. I think the idea is to phase in the new stars, which makes sense.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke being in all 3 would be nice (assuming he doesn't bite it in Ep. 7 ala mentor characters tend to do in the opening movies of Star Wars trilogies), I would hope he would be as central a character as Yoda was in the PT (which would be the Biggest Secondary Character in all 3 movies). Han and Leia are nice, definitely fun to see Ford again playing Solo and having Han and Leia bicker at each other, but Luke I think is the most important piece you need.

6. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Oh they'll bicker. like an old married couple.
    actually that would be pretty entertaining.

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I think Carrie is already looking much better, and this is from a month ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8NEs4_eTcY
    Her hair is back to her Star Wars era shade and she's growing it out. There is no doubt she's working with a trainer and nutritionist to get it together, so I think she'll look amazing by the time filming starts. Carrie had a mature look even in her younger days so Leia likely will not look all THAT radically different with a slimmed down, long haired, older Carrie Fisher.

Mark Hamill however is another story...

JainaSoloYJK and Immortiss like this.
  8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That would be cool if done right as far as Luke being like Yoda. That is pretty much the type of position I had envisioned him in. They may kill him off though; it probably depends on their larger vision of the story and other characters (I personally think it will help the popularity to keep the Big 3 as at least having SOME role throughout the new trilogy).

I must say though, I am most interested to see Harrison. He has come so far as an actor and star. I am fascinated by the idea of seeing him, all these years later, back where he started as Han Solo. I can't wait for the moment I first see him on screen again as Han.

IMO they will both look like older, but recognizable versions of themselves in the ST. Losing the weight will do a lot to make Mark look like Luke again.

Immortiss and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

I still remember being in awe when I first saw this and how excited it got me about finally seeing him back as Indy. Now I'm imagining the same thing happening with the Big 3 only the excitement will be tenfold. To get that first picture of them on set as Luke, Han and Leia again is something I won't soon forget. Filming can't start soon enough! :D

10. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I'm not interested in recapturing the spirit of the OT. I'm not Jay Gatsby - someone who longs to recapture the past. I would prefer if this new trilogy create its own style and spirit, just as the PT did. And I don't think the story does not require all three - Luke, Leia and Han - to set up the tale for a new generation. One would do, as far as I'm concerned.

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not really about capturing the spirit of anything, but the TV miniseries Lonesome Dove did a splendid job with a main cast that was mostly over forty.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope it's not about recapturing the spirit of the OT either because I want the ST to tell its own story and have its own tone. However, I think the Big 3 are important to this story just like Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, Yoda and Palpatine are important to the OT. Especially if they are the parents of the new heroes (which I think is pretty obvious) because that's a relationship that needs to be established onscreen and not just told to us. Star Wars is a generational saga so IMO there would be something missing if the past generation isn't present to hand off the torch (or lightsaber ;)).

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

So what? That's "LONESOME DOVE". It's a different story. I'm not interested in a SW movie about the aging Luke, Leia and Han as main characters.

You don't need all three to tell this new story. And considering that Disney and Kathleen Kennedy went out of their way to hire all three actors only tells me that they are trying to "recapture the spirit of the OT" and that is a big mistake to me.

14. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    We don't know this. They may have written a great story that gives the Big 3 a dramatic purpose. It's a sequel after all.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Really? How can you be sure unless you've actually read the screenplay? There is every possibility that Luke, Han and Leia are indispensable to the story they're going to tell in the ST. And George, Kathleen and Disney going out of their way to resign them tells me that it's a good possibility that that is true.

16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    But isn't the spirit of the OT what made Star Wars....well, Star Wars?

I don't see a mistake in going back to their roots and focusing on what made the series successful in the first place.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep, that is where the essence was formed of everything that would come after in the SW universe. The ST needs to have its own personality, but continue in the SW spirit; there is a certain flavor that SW movies should always have.

BTW- they are making new SW movies, are including the Big 3, and yet people are finding a reason to moan, complain or stress about that possibly being a bad thing? Wow.

18. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Not for everybody. There are fans for whom the PT made "Star Wars"...well, "Star Wars." Quite a few of them. My 11-year-old nephew is a huge SW fan, and he loves all the movies, OT and PT. He doesn't care who shot first, either.

Besides, one could say that it was the original SW movie that made SW what it is, and neither of the other two OT movies, including the holy, sacred ESB recaptured its spirit. [sarcasm] But that would be heresy. [/sarcasm]

I don't believe you can go back and focus on what made the series successful in the first place. It's decades later and the movie industry, as well as the tastes and attitudes of the filmgoing public, have undergone massive changes...some of which can be credited, or blamed, depending on your POV, on the original SW movie, ironically enough. The ground SW broke can't be rebroken. SW has gone through many cycles of popularity...I recall that in the mid- to late-80s, it was the most uncool thing around, and if you said you liked the movies, you got weird looks.

We're supposed to think that SW was always loved and respected until the prequels came along, but that was nowhere near the case. We're also supposed to think that there has been a mass exodus of disgruntled SW fans to LOTR or "The Matrix" or some other media- and fanboy-anointed festive of pretentious tedium "masterpiece," although frankly, I wish that more of the people who claimed to have fled SW for (fill in the blank) would actually have put deed to word instead of hanging around SW boards talking about it for a decade or more.

JJ Abrams is of the generation that grew up watching the OT. I hope he doesn't try to recapture lightning in a bottle, because he can't. No one can. That Lucas was able to do it was a unique occurrence, and not because he's a talentless hack who was surrounded by gutsy, tough-talking naysayers who forced him to care about quality (aka the alternate history that has become scripture to the PT-haters). Actually, it was because of the unflagging support of Alan "Laddie" Ladd Jr. that Lucas was even able to begin filming SW in the first place, and it was because of the unexpected financial success of "The Omen" (another 20th Century Fox project that "Laddie" passionately supported) that he was able to finish it.

I would definitely like to see the Big Three return, but it wouldn't be very practical to have them be main characters...not for a new trilogy.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Seeing Harision Ford again as Solo will be a freakin' blast, I do admit that. I just wonder how much he can be used and how central to the story he can be. I think the only one who actually needs/could be central is Luke. However, on the flipside, with the possibility of killing Luke off early (or relatively early in the ST like Ep. 7) it could create an interesting conundrum for the next generation characters. Like, let's say Luke is running a mini-Jedi order then, bam, he gets all dead and stuff, so then the series could follow this nascent Jedi Order trying to fight off the Bad Guy without the help of the Master who put them up to it in the first place. (Imagine if Yoda died about right when Luke started his first day of training on Dagobah or something. Yoda dying in ROTJ does leave Luke alone but he's kinda got himself together). That could be good drama but, as a fan, I'm down with the Luke as Yoda in the ST scenario.

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't think Solo will be the main character, but it is worth noting that he needs SW the least of all these actors, and has vastly more clout given who he is (he is the only one with massive star power outside of the hardcore SW fans); certainly, when you judge by the larger picture of your typical moviegoer, he would draw the most people to see this movie; thus, he would have far more negotiating power for his character. I don't know what he would want for his character though, or how exactly that would translate to the ST.

This may be far different than Yoda in the OT as you describe here. Luke was very green in his Jedi power, and needed Yoda. However, Luke will have been a Jedi (and presumably passed on Jedi training/formed a new Jedi order) for over 30 years (in all likelihood, I am sure they will try to match the age of the actors to the time that has passed in the story since the OT); it wouldn't seem they would need him like Luke needed Yoda at that point.

This is one of the great unknowns though, whether they will hold on to the Big 3 or pass them through quickly to focus more on the new heroes. I am with you though, what a massively cool thing to have Luke as a Yoda-type character for 3 movies, guiding the new Jedi.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If he lasts for 3 movies

22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    His new fitness regimen will make that more likely....

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I meant Luke Skywalker, maybe he gets killed in the first movie.

24. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Thank you for your thoughtful post. I like it.

One could argue that it was the success of "America Grafitti" and the consequences of that success that allowed GL to take the time to write SW in the first place and give Laddie the confidence in Lucas to green light SW.

Saying the PT is what "makes" Star Wars only makes sense if we ignore SW in historical context and, as you correctly point out, fail to consider the cultural phenomenon of the original. Yes, that will never to be repeated.

I think by "spirit" we can point to some of the stronger elements found in the OT, perhaps lacking or even absent in the PT. I grant you, the PT is a different story. But I don't think it was told as well, for numerous reasons (one criticism is the preoccupation with the visual over the story).

What are some of the elements in the OT that make it strong? Is it so mysterious and elusive that the OT is no longer instructive for storytellers and filmmakers? Kasdan believes in that "spirit". Based on his speech given on ANH, it's evident that Michael Arndt thinks so.

Yanksfan and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  25. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    What critics have called the "preoccupation with the visual over the story" fans have always called Star Wars. Anyone growing up when the OT came out remembers well.

I will also say this. If critics *don't* accuse VII of being preoccupied with visuals over story, then it's not the movie we're hoping for.

I also don't believe just having actors reprise their roles will necessarily make for a proper Star Wars movie in the spirit of 1-6.

jaqen, Darth Chiznuk and Immortiss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.