main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Anyone have a Windows Phone?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I've been anxiously waiting months for T-Mobile to introduce the flagship Windows 8 Phone, the Nokia Lumia 925, to the US. It's already released in Europe and China and supposedly was supposed to be released here in the States in June too. Obviously, that wasn't the case. [face_plain]

Anyway, everything I've read and heard about Windows 8 phones has me really excited for it (as excited as one can be about a smartphone, I suppose). While I do think that Windows 7 performs better overall on PC, I am nonetheless drawn to Windows 8 with all its vibrant colors and features.

Anyone here have the pleasure/displeasure of using a Windows phone? How do you think it compares to Apple/Android products that you've used?

While I appreciate Android's ease of accessibility, I'm just ready to try something new!

2. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I have a Lumia 820 (AT&T) and I rather enjoy it. Of the 3 brands, I think WP has the best user-interface with their live tile design. If you're looking for interconnectivity (sharing photos/files across your other devices via cloud) you'll need to be using other MS services (specifically SkyDrive). There's also the "being different/new" factor (if that appeals to you). That said, WP does have the smallest app market, so somethings you're looking for might not be available (Istagram and snapchat are big ones that don't have an official app).

3. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I read about the smaller app market. From what I've read, the WP app market should be seeing a gradual boom over the course of this year. At any rate, I'm not a big app user. I mean, I use Pandora while driving, Facebook, Web browser, and weather apps--all of which I could expect to find in the WP app market. Plus, Xbox smartglass looks pretty sick.

EDIT:

I only use Pandora while driving. Not the other apps. :p

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Nope, don't have one

5. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009

As long as you're aware of it going in. (Smartglass, iirc, is available for both ios and android)

6. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Yeah. I could definitely see many a consumer getting riled up about buying a shiny new Windows device only to find out that it has half the apps of Android devices.

7. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    No time for new phones. Still rocking the classic. Vintage baby!
    [​IMG]

8. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I have an LG Optimus 7 (Wikipedia link) - it was originally released in late 2010 and I go it early last year in a sale (when all the new Windows phones were coming out and LG were trying to get rid of all their outstanding stock).

I like it a lot. It's a tad bulky and heavy (it's made of metal) but it gives a good feel. As mentioned above apps can be a bit hard to come by but since I really only use my smartphone for calls and SMS as well as a Wifi hotspot it does everything I need it do quite comfortably. Only (small) downside was the upgrade to Windows Phone 7.8 (an update for phones that couldn't upgrade to Windows Phone 8) - the phone now lags everso slightly but you quickly get used to it.

As I said I enjoy it. :) I'll probably try and keep it for at least another year or so, and will strongly consider another Windows phone to replace it with (though I will also consider iPhone and Android as well).

9. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Funny story: When I was younger and some rental storage units were being built in town, they had a sign that said "Rent A Space Phone (phone number here)" and, in my little kid logic, I thought that meant they were renting out space phones, something kinda like Captain Kirk's communicator from Star Trek, but this being the 1980s, a bigger bulkier version.

It didn't take me long for my parents to set me straight.

Souderwan likes this.
  10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    is there anything else you don't have? a porche? a gold encrusted knuckle duster? a colony of ants that do your evil bidding?

tom and heels1785 like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I have a friend who owns a boot legged version. It sucks and is impossible to use. I'm not getting one.

[​IMG]

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  12. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I have a Windows phone. It doesn't suck or anything but I can't say I did any research on it before buying. It came with the cheapest monthly plan so I signed up. :p

13. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    So I got the Nokia Lumia 925 Windows 8 Phone on launch this week. It is just as awesome as the cnet reviews claim. Really vibrant and innovative device.

14. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I've recently got a Lumia 920. It's my first smartphone and so far I'm very pleased with it.

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Everton does not give good gift.

:p

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Haha, no, it wasn't from him. :p My parents promised to get me a smartphone of my choice for my graduation, and I chose this one.

17. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    You chose poorly.
    [​IMG]

jp-30 likes this.
  18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    The 920 was also praised by cnet iirc

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I don't think I chose poorly. It's a good phone that fits my needs, had good reviews and wasn't overpriced like some. I don't need a huge amount of apps, I mostly use it for calls and internet, anyway. Plus I like Nokia. :p

20. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Aren't you and Nokia of similar nationality?

Xenophobia ITT.

21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    No, and what the hell does nationality have to do with phone brand preference?

22. JediJeffro

Jun 23, 2001

You tell me, Racist.

Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    ... and otherwise you're feeling okay?

24. JediJeffro

Jun 23, 2001
    My coffee is really strangely bitter today.

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    It's been almost a week and I am in love with this thing. So much better than my galaxy s and much cooler than my gal's iPhone.