main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Just Saw RotJ in Theaters for the 1st Time!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Vladimir777, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Yes, that one line was really cryptic and mysterious. I too wondered what it was really supposed to mean when re-watching the film time to time.

To me, it was either supposed to convey that Vader was so corrupted by the Dark Side and its powers that he couldn't go back, or as you mention, that the Emperor was so powerful and would retaliate in such a way that he couldn't bring himself to turn against him....Who knows. And I kept wondering for a long time what Lucas and/or Kasdan had in mind when they came up with that particular line.

So far, it's still a mystery to me.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You are so very lucky to get the chance to see ROTJ in the movie theater! I would love to see it one day, hopefully whenever they release it in 3D.

3. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Was also stunned that ROTJ had been screened somewhere recently in the US (live in France).

Big news indeed. Even with that infamous SE.

I'm pretty convinced OT and PT movies will be re-released someday before Episode VII comes out in 2015 or after.

I think you'll get your chance to see ANH and ESB on the big screen

4. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Yup. Disney/LFL will milk this for all they can, and rightfully so. There's $$$ to be made.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. Vladimir777

Vladimir777 Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2013
    I hope you guys are right I'd love to see them all in the theater again. Hell, I'd go back to seeing the PT films on the big screen, too.

I'm going to see The Sound of Music there next weekend! Plus Samsara sometime in the future. That movie supposedly looks absolutely stunning. It was shot in 70mm and converted to 4K digital.

6. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I agree with you completely. And while I loved that the 'real' Palpatine was added to ESB (which in my opinion was needed if any changes were going to be made to the OT at all) it really bothers me that the dialogue in that scene has been changed. We all know the EU story of how Vader learns a kid named Skywalker blew up the first Death Star, but in that new ESB scene, are we supposed to believe he learning of Anakin's son for the first time? Or is he acting surprised to throw off The Emperor from the fact he already knows? Are we to think he is only on Luke's trail for destroying the Death Star and doesn't know that this Luke Skywalker is his son until Palpatine tells him?

I must have played that new dialogue over and over in my head a thousand times, and I am still not sure what GL's intent is supposed to be.

Not meaning to hijack the thread; I am sure this has been debated millions of times.

7. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Yes. As I mentioned in another recent thread, hopefully at some point in the future something like a theoretical "Purple-Ray" DVD will come out, which will enable to viewer to pick which changes to keep & which changes to discard when watching the films.

SaintKenobi1322 and Sarge like this.
  8. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I'd like to see the original versions, or 'Classic Edition' released along with a 'Saga Edition' that would tie the prequels and OT together with changes like inserting McDirimid and Christensen into ESB and ROTJ and having the galaxy-wide celebration at the end of ROTJ. With Disney calling the shots, I think we'll eventually get the OT on Blu-ray or whatever comes next.