main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What Do You Think Of Padme Giving Birth to Luke & Leia Scene?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SkywalkerJedi02, Jul 19, 2013.

1. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    I thought it was great how they perfectly captured all the different emotions goi g on inside her I loved watching Her name the babies and of course who can forget the there's still good in him lines at the end, overall a great scene I thought.

Cynicalx likes this.
  2. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    I thought Padme is made from steel.

Hardly any fuss at all giving birth to twins

(however I appreciate it's a childrens fantasy film, so realism probably wasn't what they were going for)

and I usually love Ewans acting, but him being there doing absolutely nothing in emotional range was awkward to me.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Contrary to what crap Hollywood films show us, not every woman is screaming bloody murder as she gives birth.

I actually thought Padme fussed too much, considering that the droids said they were "operating," which implies C-section, which means she would have been given a spinal anesthetic to numb her from the chest down. The pain of a C-section comes afterwards and even then, that's what painkillers are for.

I did like Obi-Wan bringing her the babies and her naming them. But I thought the rest of the scene was crap. Don't even get me started on her "losing the will to live." Sorry Merkual, but as I see it, if she were "made of steel," that wouldn't have happened.

4. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Padme passed away moments after the birth making it impossible for Leia to remember that, "She was, very beautiful, kind, but sad." Here's a preemptive eye roll for the apologist retcons that will surely follow :rolleyes: .

Cynicalx likes this.
  5. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Another lost opportunity for the PT. After that line from ROTJ, I figured that after Anakin went dark, Obi-Wan & Padme went on the lam w/the twins. Padme would have taken Leia and sought refuge on Alderaan with Organa. Obi-Wan would have taken Luke to Tatooine to his brother Owen (yeah, in the ROTJ novelization, they were brothers). I thought I had the PT figured out pretty well when I was a kid, but in the end not so much. I would have had the events of ROTS happen in Episode II and the third film would have been about escape and evading Imperial forces.

6. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I thought the scene was excellent. It contrasts the birth of Darth Vader with the birth of the twins. Anakin on the verge of death lives but is epitome of death and Padme on the verge of death dies but is the epitome of life. It is an apt emotional end to the PT before the beginning of the OT. It is also the emotional climax of the last hour of the movie or so from Order 66 to this point. I remember in the movie being totally gripped by this last hour. Both Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman act well in the scene aswell. (Also I loved the Polis Massa visuals!!)

Incidentally, I thought it was good that SW had a scene where a birth took place (in contrast to all the battles etc). Especially since the story is a Saga about a family. It was also done simply and tactfully as SW tends to be. As such it was well written IMHO.

7. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Well said, Wattamborwoo. I believe the scene was awesome, and the babies were so sweet. Just after the twins are born, Padmé dies, and Vader takes his first breath, announcing his existance to the galaxy. I never get tired of watching that part of ROTS.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The whole thing is pretty much crap. On top of the terrible writing, Natalie and Ewan did some of their worst acting.

The only positives I take out of it are the medical droids.

arwen_sith likes this.
  9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It's a black hole of logic, and leads to ridiculous conversations about force memory and newborn babies knowing their mothers, Lucas didn't respect the story he had already given us

10. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The births were too quick. It's a boy...Luke. A girl....Leia. Imagine if they were done while on the run without proper facilities, and R2 having to assist in the delivery. Oh well. The whole thing, the whole Episode still feels surreal from when I first saw it because that anticipated stuff was actually happening.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Delivering twins via C-section, the babies would have been about a minute apart. Her having to push them out would mean it would take longer.

The babies being brought to her was too quick though; there was no time to clean and swaddle them first.

I would have been OK with the scene if Padme hadn't been screaming and if she hadn't died afterwards. It would have been better if it had played out as Mr. K said, with Padme giving birth earlier and then disappearing with Obi-Wan and the twins and possibly Yoda.

12. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    She didn't want to do that she loved Anakin hence why she didn't want to live without him.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And that's pretty damn pathetic. I have no respect for anyone who allows his or her very existence and the entirety of his or her happiness revolve around another person.

And as that portrayal has been allocated mostly to female characters, I'm going to add that in the 21st century, women can be and deserve to be portrayed better than that.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  14. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I've figured she's just misinterpreting visions from the Force as actual memories. (Remember, Yoda said those strong enough in the Force could see visions of both past and future.)

15. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Not enough Jedi afterbirth.

16. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    lol didn't take long, KilroyMcFadden

17. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Well, let's consider.

She's in the midst of a difficult pregnancy. Her friend Palpatine, whom she supported for the Chancellorship, has been revealed as a Sith tyrant. Her allies the Jedi are getting killed left and right. The Republic she fought for has effectively ceased to exist. The man she loves has killed men, women and children, and says he did it all for her. Then, he assaulted her while she was pregnant.

I've seen people in real life just collapse when dealing with things far less traumatic than this. Add to it that all these things happened pretty much one after another over the space of only a few days. I can believe that, adding the physical, mental and emotional stresses, she'd just want to give up, and would probably think that everyone would be better off without her. She obviously got to figure Yoda and Kenobi blame her for part of this, and that can't help.

Besides, if you're going for tragedy, what could be more tragic than a strong and good character getting utterly destroyed by evil events.

18. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Roll your emoticon eyes, if you wish, but it makes sense from my perspective. Or should we now start complaining about the retcon that turned the Emperor from a weak, paranoid Nixonian figure into a magnificent b*****d of a Sith Lord.

kainee likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, I know what happened, and I still find her reaction pathetic and I have no respect for her character throughout ROTS, other than the deleted scenes.

20. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    What?

21. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Check the prologue to the ANH novelization, along with the annotated screenplays book, for the original interpretation of Palpatine.

22. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    And that constitutes a retcon?

23. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    This scene made my mother so angry when we saw the movie together in 2005. As a mother of four, she couldn't swallow the idea that Padme would just die and leave newborn Luke and Leia behind. I believe she said something along the lines of, "no matter how much you've gone through emotionally, if you truly love your babies, you're gonna survive and fight for them." It's a bit hard to argue against that.

24. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I see your point, but I think that has been the nature of their relationship all the time and in the case of ROTS, it's not exclusively allocated to the female character (I know you didn't claim). Anakin even says "I can't live without her.". They have been living a lie. The don't have anyone else than themselves to be what they are.
    They have been portrayed as being extrasensorily co-dependent since Episode II at least. Remember when they both recover at the same moment (Anakin from Dooku's lighting, Padmé from her fall)? Then there is Padmé sensing Anakin's atrocity in ROTS and their unique comminication (rumminations) right in the middle of that film.
    So I just think it was a logical way to conclude their story. And if you see it like this, the "medically she's completely healthy" suddenly makes perfect sense, because it's not all about medicine or science here. It's all a about something unique that can't be explained. It's about magic.

I see your point too, but I don't think that's true. I think if you truly love your babies, you want the best life possible for them - not the best life possible with them.

kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  25. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Again, given her depressed and guilt-ridden state of mind, coupled with the certainty that Palpatine would go after her and anyone who helped her, or (worst of all) go after her kids through her, she may have figured they were better off without her.

I know from experience you can say to someone, "I love you very much and want what's best for you, but I've had it. I just can't do this anymore."

kainee and SkywalkerJedi02 like this.