main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comic-Con, CE, and D23 News Thread - The Expanded Universe, the Sequel Trilogy, and other stuff!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Jul 19, 2013.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Exactly.

True Colours was!

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

"As to the future of the EU, it’s still in flux, but even before, Lucasbooks and Del Rey did their own EU without concern for films and television. Whether it’s used in those mediums is up to the writers and directors."

Uh-oh. Seems they're prepared to go the old separate universes path.

3. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    So... this was very anti-climatic after all the waiting. No news is bad news I'm guessing.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You'd have thought some skilled PR professional with an eye on the net and knowledge of how valuable positive buzz is would have known keeping schtum isn't smart!

5. scnjedi

scnjedi Jedi Knight

Jul 16, 2009

Damn, how did I miss that?!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    Wizard.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    For Sith's sake. What are we expected to do! Wait here for two years? :(

Giovs, Jedi_Glover, tjace and 6 others like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I want SOTJ!

Apophis_ likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I feel like we're being held hostage.

10. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009

No, we put all of our hopes and expectations in waiting for news from CEII.....and get nothing. Getting desperate, we hope again for news from Disney's D23 Expo....for more nothing. Then we.......... Two years later, midnight showing of Ep7 :p

11. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I will obviously be pretty upset if this is the case, because one thing I liked about Star Wars was the unique way it attempted to keep this stuff cohesive.

However, if I have a choice between:

1) Destruction of the EU wholesale, and starting again, possibly with confused labelling of some existing works as "canon".
    2) Splitting the EU and G-canon (whether that's at the point of the Disney sale or somewhat retrospectively with a view to the cartoon).
    3) A weird, odd situation where the two universes obviously clash in unfixable ways but we continue pretending that's not the case.

I'm almost tempted by that second option. It's a defeat but it's (a) clean and (b) means I'll get to see the stories I invested in and characters I grew to love continue to develop instead of disappearing forever.

What Chee isn't saying, though, is that after the film and tv mediums made those decisions, Lucasbooks and Del Rey then followed suit with the EU.

Like, if they were really that separate even before, then why would this even put the EU in flux?

Ugh. As others have said, I'm getting really tired of no news. I know it's because news would mean hints about VII, and Disney would rather piss off a minority of hardcore fans than spill anything. Doesn't change the fact that it's not fun being actively reminded that you don't matter very much.

Valin__Kenobi and CeiranHarmony like this.
  12. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    I think the ideal situation to hope for is that the EU preceding Return of the Jedi is maintained. I think that is preferable to the EU being separate from the films -- which I don't think that they will do for financial reasons.

13. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    At least if things were made to be separate between the Current EU and Whatever basterdized version rises after the Sequel Trilogy, we won't have to worry about the movies effecting what's currently going on, or anymore retcons from tv series or George Lucas. Hopefully. [face_nail_biting]

darklordoftech and Apophis_ like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, that's the thing. DH and DR are focusing so hard on pre-ROTJ stuff that it's possible they're banking on all that staying intact. And there's no reason why it wouldn't, unless Rebels is worse than TCW ever was.

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012

(ST includes flashback to 2000 BBY in which Darth Ruin starts the Sith from scratch)

TheCIS likes this.
  16. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Totally retconnable. How many different versions of the Sith and Jedi Orders do we have by now?

It's pretty hard for them to wreck the pre-ROTJ stuff at this point because the PT stuff is at least tonally tied to the films already, not that much exists between the two trilogies and the stuff from 25,0000 - 1,000 BBY is all so spaced out that it'd be pretty easy to shift stuff 100 years in either direction and leave plenty of time for events to bridge any apparent contradictions.

But the post-ROTJ era is the one that's actually got characters that are likely to move forward and get development. Which is why I'm keen not to lose it, though I'm increasingly pessimistic about that.

17. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Guys, please remember that even pre-ROTJ stuff can be retconned away due to spin-off movies featuring characters that contradict canon. (Imagine a young Han Solo movie -- blech!)

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The key phrase is "from scratch", as in "without a prior Sith Order to inspire him".

19. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    The writers aren't maliciously trying to find ways to eliminate EU from continuity.

If I had to guess, the spinoff films are likely to be about ST characters than OT. I highly doubt they recast Han Solo for a spinoff when Harrison Ford is already established in the role as a young man.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    There are so many ways that unretconnable contradictions could exist without malicious intent.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Perhaps they're hoping we'll eventually develop Stockholm syndrome toward the ST if they keep us long enough.

22. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    The key word was "retconnable".

Sort of like when the Jedi Order were said to have been the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic for a thousand generations when at the same time the Republic only stood for a thousand years.

We've retconned far weirder stuff than conflicting versions of the genesis of the Sith.

ETA: I should clarify - I don't think this will actually come up - I'm just saying, I think the pre-ROTJ EU is going to be fairly safe from large-scale unreconcilable contradictions due to the ST, is all. You know, for reasons cited.

23. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    The Darth Bane/Darth Ruin already was a new origin of the Sith.

24. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    The TCW retcons things all the time. You can expect the spin off movies to do the same.

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Killing everything post-RotJ isn't going to get rid of the Vong anyway ;) They"re referenced in Rogue Planet and Outbound Flight :p