main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comic-Con, CE, and D23 News Thread - The Expanded Universe, the Sequel Trilogy, and other stuff!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Jul 19, 2013.

1. MrNomAnor

MrNomAnor Jedi Master

Sep 17, 2001
    I find it contradictory that the book line are almost paralysed from going forwards in the timeline (SOTJ, Kemp duology, etc) whereas the comics keep chugging along, even with post ROTJ materials such as Legacy vol 2. Its almost like both areas are working at opposing viewpoints (novels = we're afraid so we'll stop; comics = lets just keep going anyway).

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Again, you just totally ignored my post. If we see something happen, it happened and there's no way around it.

3. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    They aren't detailed at all though, so they could be rewritten to be anything.

4. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    So, just to be clear, we got essentially nothing novel-related today? No information on Sword of the Jedi? No information about Stover and Imperial Commando 2? Nothing?

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    But this was already the case from the TPM novelization and Lucas's clear intent, and the retcon explaining it has held up pretty much fine since it was established in the Essential Chronology 13 years ago.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    DHC has a brass pair, DR lost theirs in a lava-related accident.

CooperTFN likes this.
  7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It was Lucas's intent, but it was only included as a passing mention.

8. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    Del rey's cash cow is the post-film timeline. They haven't really put effort into developing stuff like Dawn of the Jedi. LOTF was supposed to be that, but they opted to make it a Big 3 thing to ensure sales. The ST has really upset their apple cart.

Valin__Kenobi and Grey1 like this.
  9. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    The TPM novelization specifically says:

Right there, it makes it explicitly states that the Sith originate less than 2000 years pre-TPM. And the retcon fixing it has held fine with the EU ever since.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was really talking about a flashback, in which it would be seen, not just stated.

11. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    I'm willing to bet my life that Episode VII will not have a flashback depicting Darth Ruin.

DarthBoba likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless we a Cult of Ruin or something.

13. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Unless it's a scene in which Darth Ruin specifically says, "I am inventing a completely new dark side cult that has never existed before, which I am naming the Sith, a name which has never been used before, with no inspiration from anything else" there's no reason the exact same retcon wouldn't still stand, because it's still the exact same situation, whether you see it or read it.

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    My vote is for NT. Either New Trilogy or Next Trilogy. And it makes for a reverse alphabetical order of PT OT NT.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    New or Next Trilogy or Sequel Trilogy...........
    Sequel Trilogy hands down.

16. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Okay see, I did read your post, it just never, ever occurred to me that seeing something rendered it immune to being retconned.

I mean, the entire point of a retcon is to keep the same events but change their meaning based on additional context, right? Why on earth would this be any different just because we see someone stumble around going, "I, Darth Ruin, have invented the Sith from scratch!" instead of someone else saying, "Darth Ruin invented the Sith from scratch!"? Sure one is easier to retcon, but being drunk with power, trying to push a propagandist agenda, being actually insane, or what he says being true "from a certain point of view" are all totally viable retconning options. Sure they might be lame or obvious bandaids to continuity, but I really don't understand how seeing it makes any difference.

Mia - you are correct, based on information we currently have at this time, which is basically like...one short report, that no information was given out on either SOTJ or IC2. :(

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    New idea: If the ST destroys the EU, the EU responds by having the Vong invade after the ST and destroying everything the ST creates.

:D

KamSolusar, credar, Danzo and 13 others like this.
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What if he gets the name "Sith" from a something totally unrelated? Like say, letters in his name.

Make "Far Outsiders" refer to something else.
    Onimi: Viewer of Star Wars release date calendars.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    This I like. They may have a Mouse, but we have an extragalactic horde.

20. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    imagine the Sequels working perfectly fine with the post-ROTJ EU in the end... Episode 7, fitting seamless, Episode 8 being even better, and then Episode 9 ruins it all when our hopes are highest with its post-credits scene alone :p

21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Reading this I see the EU and ST playing Halo and the St kills the EU with an assault rifle and then the EU comes and respawns and assassinates the ST and teabags it.

22. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    PS: for all hoping for news on Celebration Europe... sequel news, maybe at closing ceremonies with surprise guests? but so far no scheduled panel even remotely hints at any Lit or EU news. Stradley will be coming but Delrey won't even attend CE2 at all!!! no authors there. that sucks. so do not get your hopes up for CE2 news.

23. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks, Becc. That's incredibly disappointing. [face_sigh]

Heheheh.

24. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    But then TCW will come back and take down the EU. :p

Something interesting from the DR panel that I haven't seen mentioned here yet (maybe I missed it?): Kenobi was originally going to be a graphic novel, but was then transitioned into a novel once it got long (from ClubJade's reporting).

25. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Then clearly that small incongruity will result in the entire PT being invalidated, all of the pre-ROTJ Eu being destroyed, the Sith history being irreconcilably damaged, and the franchise to end.

Either that or there will be a minor retcon made to address that minor issue.