main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comic-Con, CE, and D23 News Thread - The Expanded Universe, the Sequel Trilogy, and other stuff!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Jul 19, 2013.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    The one retcon to undo it all: Have JarJar learn flowwalking!

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That works for me.

3. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Will of the Force? Fate? Confluence of events? The EU writes stories about how he was actually a vergence in the Force similar to Anakin, fated to revive a dead Sith Order and didn't realise his dark inspiration came from the Force itself, as did his caretakers' inspiration for his name? Subliminal messages? Manipulation by a third party who had a vested interest in him thinking it was an idea that was just his? It was never actually his name but rather a name he felt compelled to take later in life due to Force visions?

I mean, we can play this game all day, but really my only point is that we can play this game all day. The ST would have to get much more deeply involved in these areas to be a threat to them, which is why it's the post-ROTJ era that I'm worried about.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  4. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Some retcons would be worse than decanonisation.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    You know, Phineas and Ferb is the only bearable Disney Channel show. This'll probably be quite funny, actually.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    beccatoria, how about a flashback to 5000 BBY that show's all of Korriban and there's no tombs anywhere?

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Please note that what I am about to say is speculative only, but what if the case was that Marvel paid for an early buy-out of the contract and only the current year novels are going to be borne out, with everything moving to Marvel Press / Hyperion Books (in-house) for 2014 to ramp up for 2015, when the novelization of the new film comes out (typically a very large selling novel printing, I believe)? This then allows Star Wars, Agents of Shield, etc. to generate extra profit...

Why they would still do business with DHC when having, y'know, Marvel comics and moving books in-house I wouldn't begin to speculate on, but it's a potential tinfoil-hat theory.

Grey1 and darklordoftech like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Surely you can do better? Easy fix: Different part of Korriban - it's a BIG planet!

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I said all of Korriban

11. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't mean any offense, but...what are you doing? Why are you looking for ways, increasingly implausible ways, for things to go irreparably wrong? No one knows what's going to happen, but there have been fixes before and there can logically be fixes again. But until a potential problem becomes an actual problem, there's no point agonizing over such out-there ideas as thousand year flashbacks to worlds the movies have never touched.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tell me how you're going show ALL of an ENTIRE planet in a visual shot that ALSO shows enough detail that you can tell there's NO tombs.

EDIT: Quite seriously, Mia's nailed it - what is the point of this? To support your doom-mongering outlook?

13. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    A movie long shot of Korriban... [face_dunno]

WMIRTUTSF and Malachi108 like this.
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    What if there's a flashback to JJ Abrams sitting at a desk saying, "I am interrupting this movie to tell you that all the pre-ROTJ EU is fully canonical and in-line with this new film. Thank you for your time." What then?

KamSolusar, WMIRTUTSF, Danzo and 4 others like this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Everyone was assuming that pre-ROTJ is safe.
    1. Luke flow-walks and explores the entire planet.
    2. The camera could be near the planet's surface and pan across it.
    Then all pre-ROTJ EU would be fully canon.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Won't work, you wouldn't be able to see anything of the surface to see if there were or were not tombs, the most you could see, at any one time, in a planet shot, is HALF the planet!

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That'll be a very boring movie! Also how is he going to walk over the entire planet without going back on himself?

18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Pre-RotJ-EU is mostly unsafe because of the Spinoffs, imo.

Mazzic likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    How dare you waltz in here with logic! We're seriously doom-mongering here!

cdgodin and Darth_Pevra like this.
  20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I've since edited the post.
    A Darth Ruin spin-off!

21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    darklordoftech, why are you so obsessed with making pre-ROTJ EU non-canon? Just curious. I doubt a) they'll flow-walk, b) Luke will explore all of Korriban, or c) they'll actually come out and say it's a planet with no tombs. That'd be the cheesiest line ever. Besides, maybe the Valley of the Dark Lords is something you have to know the coordinates of to find, so even if Luke explored all of Korriban, every last step, he wouldn't find it because he didn't know the coordinates.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Because everyone else was so sure that it would all stay canon.
    See my post edit, and some retcons would be worse than decanonization.

23. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Okay, so, we could play this game forever and I think that would be boring, so I think it's best if this is the last example? But how, pray tell, would they show absolutely all of Korriban so that we could know for sure there were no tombs? Including throughout all of the last 5000 years just so we know that they weren't covered by sand drifts, or moved inside of caves or something? Or is this as drastic as suggesting a planet might have more than one environment?

Also in case it's reassuring or helps clarify, I don't think anyone was sure the pre-ROTJ EU would remain safe at all. I think we were just saying it had a much, much better shot at remaining canon because of the difficulty in something set when the ST will presumably be set (vaguely) introducing a seriously hard-to-retcon piece of canon without really trying to.

Also I agree with Darth Pevra - it's the spin-offs that might be set during the PT - OT era that might cause more problems.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    But the reality is, unless they make a spinoff pre-TPM movie, it probably will. The chances of seeing a flashback to pre-TPM times in the ST is very unlikely, because we've never seen a flashback in a Star Wars movie, period.

Some retcons would be worse than decanonization yes, but it's still plausible.

25. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    What if the sequel trilogy has a flashback to the Alderaan being destroyed by a superweapon other than the Death Star before Episode IV and the OT is ruined?!

WMIRTUTSF, Malachi108 and Grey1 like this.