main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I think this is everyone's thoughts!

A new game has popped up and now everyone is going to scramble to get in on it! :p

2. Shereshoy Cabur

Shereshoy Cabur Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 2, 2013
    Haha I thought of this when you said that

[​IMG]

3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    SUPERMAN/BATMAN MOVIE CONFIRMED.

4. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Ooh fun. I can't wait to see them trolling each other and giving away each other's secret identity. :p

5. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    *Walks in, and orders a drink...*

Applauds a new game was launched..
    But will wait, and bide her time.

But yes, I do wish for a new game..or perhaps one of the many OLD ones Im in to .. do something. But ahh, tis the summer. And I know of the summer...

So I am busy writing. But since the thing know as DRAGON*CON will be swiftly approaching... it might have to wait until after that...

But I am plotting....
    2 ideas.
    Gotta pick one.

Maybe.

Another Drink, Bartender!!

greyjedi125 likes this.
  6. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think of it more like a dance party.

Which I believe makes me the Dance Commander.

Fortunately that's such an obscure reference I can make it without spoiling the plot. :p

Penguinator and Shereshoy Cabur like this.
  8. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    Now play that song while watching the World War Z gif...EPIC

9. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    *Whispers from her table*

Anyone interested in a Pre clone wars game?

:cool:

10. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    Mehbehhh, like after Episode I before Episode 2?

11. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    How about pre Episode 1.
    Before the folks start dying off... lol.

;)

12. Shereshoy Cabur

Feb 2, 2013
    Well so far I'm interested

13. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    :D good. More to follow shortly.
    ;)

*has another drink*
    and starts scribbling madly on notes....

14. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, I finally got to the end of my self-assigned fiction reading list by closing the book on First Among Equals. I still have to make some notes about that, but it was about as diametrically opposed to Portrait of a Lady as you can get. Brief sketches of the protagonists with most of the insights into their characters loaded at the front end, and the rest of it was a straight Formula 1 plot race to the end. He had four "protagonists", though, which I want to look at more carefully since he got the balance between them much, much better than George Martin does, of course.

But anyway, this means I have to compose up my new list. Means I took a look over my mad buying rush over the past few months and actually make an order of reading. Sooo...

The Forever War, John Haldeman
    The Odyssey, Homer
    Wizard of the Pigeons, Robin Hobb writing under a pen name (this one was recommended by Dean Koontz, I've always wanted to try it)
    Moll Flanders, Daniel Defoe, a.k.a. Robinson Crusoe With a Vagina (Moll, that is, not Daniel Defoe)
    Hyperion, Dan Simmons - this one has a reputation up there with Dune in science fiction.
    The Remains of the Day, Kasuo Ishiguro, I got the edition with Anthony Hopkins on the front ;)
    A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens, for it was the best of times and it was the worst of times.
    Icerigger, Alan Dean Foster. You might remember him from Splinter of the Mind's Eye mentioned further upthread.
    The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.
    A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula K. LeGuin.
    The Quiet American, Graham Greene. I have vague memories of A Burnt-Out Case from miserable Year 11 English Literature, maybe this one will be better.
    Seven Pillars of Wisdom, T.E. Lawrence, a.k.a. Lawrence of Arabia's biography
    Lonesome Dove, because you have to have cowboys in there somewhere
    The House of the Seven Gables, Nathaniel Hawthorne, because I'm willing to risk disappearing up Hawthorne's ass
    Chekhov's Essential Tales, because this guy was a master of the short story form, even if Hemingway thought he only wrote 5 or 6 good stories.
    The Secret Agent, Joseph Conrad, because I want another one-night stand with the guy who was a master of the language that was actually his third one spoken.
    Essential James Joyce, because I've still got Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man to read.
    For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway again
    Moby Dick, Herman Melville
    Crime and Punishment, Doestyevsky, and I'll probably learn to spell that by the time I get to the book
    The Old Curiosity Shop and other short stories, Mark Twain
    Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre in a compilation by the Three Furies, the Brontes.
    The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner, whom Hemingway hated.
    Les Miserables, Victor Hugo.

This is likely to be a hell of a year.

15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Meanwhile I'm stoked to learn who will be voicing Rocket Raccoon.

16. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    So I'm working in the air shed today (I fill up the air tanks on people's guns when they run out). It's hot out and the shed is in the middle of the treeless, shadeless parking lot but I have air conditioning in here so that's cool. Got my phone too so I can surf the webz. Still, gonna be stuck in here by myself for five hours which is gonna be a pain so-

Wait, what be that in the corner?

I pick it up. Its an old Gameboy Advance.

I pull out the gaming cartridge in the back and check the label. Pokemon: Leaf Green.

I slam it back in and pull off the battery cover. Two AA batteries in the back.

Put the cover back on, flip it back over, slide the power switch to "On".

Screen turns on. I found my entertainment for the next five hours.

Rampani, jcgoble3 and s65horsey like this.
  17. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I've got game ideas floating in my head. And it is very tempting to launch another one to try and combat the summer slump, especially since several characters for Rebirth went MIA (to the point where more people are missing than are here), and I can't move forward easily in there.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    God, this just reminds me of how nasty my backlog is getting. All my spare time this month has been devoted to studying and the vidya. Mostly studying. Hell, I've got comics in my backlog, and that never happens. Someday I'll get Sea of Fertility read. Someday. [​IMG]

For some weird reason I really couldn't stand any of the GBA Pokémon games, including the remakes, and I'm not sure why. I'd chalk it up to excessive polish, but I was perfectly happy with the DS games. [​IMG]

19. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    My handheld gaming experiencence was rather limited. I only got into the Game Boy when Color was released and I really only played Pokemon Red on it. Then GBA came out and I extended my reach to the Pokemon Trading Card game, Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Ages, Golden Sun, and Advance Wars. Then I gave my GBA and games to my former-neighbor's young son.

I got a Nintendo DS only because I wanted to play Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Funnily enough, after beating it, I got a couple more games and a kit for the DS to try and make it worthwhile.........and then I packed everything up and sent it through the postal service to Teegirl!

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Ah yes, Dark Dawn.

[​IMG]

This is actually applicable to the entire franchise, those games are garbage and haven't held up in the slightest. I had fond memories of them in my youth, but playing them now is a painful, painful slog.

I only just sold my DS when I got my 3DS XL, actually. Given the advances in... um... alternative GBA playing methods, and the fact that the XL displays the old DS games at a much larger resolution (Perfect for my increasingly picky eyes), it was time to upgrade, anyway. The bigger view is especially nice since I still play SMT: Strange Journey. Why? Because SPEHS MAREEENZ!!1!

Sarge221 likes this.
  21. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Maybe it was because I was young as well and my own RPG experience was a bit limited by I remember enjoying the two Golden Sun games a lot. While, yes, the time they devoted to characters reacting could be a bit much, during my first playthroughs I enjoyed them and found them to be my favorite games.

Dark Dawn...was rather disappointing. Mostly when it comes to the length as there were two characters introduced when the game was pretty much at the end. It tried to do too much with too little time and the game was a bit too much on the easy side as well. Definitely wasn't as engaging as the first two were as they allowed each half of the eventual eight man/woman party to have their own game before meeting up at the finale.

All-in-all, I really enjoyed the series but I don't think I'll be buying the next version of the DS to play the sequel to Dark Dawn that's for sure.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The 3DS has a lot of great IPs and games. Hypothetical GS4s are not amongst them. :p

23. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Sarge, Golden Sun was the bomb. *fistbump*

Also, holy crap, Fire Emblem: Awakening is amazing.

Sarge221 likes this.
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Any game where Commander Bright yells "CHECKMATE!" when I get a critical hit is GOTYAY.

... Were this any other year. Unfortunately, SMT4 came out. I still love FE:A to death, though.

25. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    *fistbump* :cool:

Penguinator likes this.