main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yensid1974

Yensid1974 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2013
    I wouldn't count on that, not when we have the D23 Expo just weeks away in CA. That would be a perfect way to cap off the Walt Disney Studios presentation with a big Star Wars announcement.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    So you don't think the biggest Star Wars convention in the world this year (where the President of Lucasfilm will be) is going to announce anything major but some minor expo is?

If Comic Con doesn't do it, nowhere but CE2 will do it if at all. This Lucasfilm's big thing, Marvel does its own film announcements.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I wouldn't exactly call D23 a minor expo - the thing is huge and it's growing all the time. This is Disney's big event to announce upcoming projects, including Star Wars. In terms of where announcements will be made, I'm just basing my judgement off of what Disney has been saying recently in regards to the convention circuit and that has been that they will be saving major announcements for Star Wars for D23. The reasoning behind that is they didn't want to get buried under all the other announcements being made at SDCC and wanted to focus their time and energy on Marvel for that weekend.

Now, they didn't mention CEII at all at this point, so maybe something can happen there yet, but I can almost guarantee that we will hear something Star Wars-related at D23.

Hitchhiking-Ghost and Yensid1974 like this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm wondering if (and hoping) they'll find a way to announce something at both Celebration Europe and D23. Two different but equally important pieces of information related to E7. More Rebels information is pretty likely too.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This is exactly what I'm hoping for. Concept art and a Big 3 announcement at CEII and perhaps an official release date or a title (or both) at D23. Perhaps some casting news that isn't related to the Big 3 could be announced at D23 too. It's going to be fun.

EDIT: And now that I think about it some news about the spin-offs would be nice. We know pretty much nothing about them other than they're being made. It'd be nice to know what they're about or who is helming them.

StoneRiver and Immortiss like this.
  6. EHT

Sep 13, 2007

And maybe some other announcement at your son's SW themed birthday party! [face_party]

7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You know eht13 next time you ruin a big surprise I'm just gonna stop coming here. JJ already tore me a new one when it got out that I'm the baddie. Jeez. [face_not_talking]

8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Dammit, I did it again! My bad. Just so excited. :p

9. Yensid1974

Yensid1974 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2013
    Well, that minor expo as you call it is the event hosted by the people who own Lucasfilm now so don't discount their desire to milk that fact for all it is worth.

10. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    I just hope J.J.'s screenwriting buddies don't find their way into the sequels.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That definitely won't happen.

12. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    "Confirmed"? By whom?

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Dave Filoni is doing a Rebels panel at CE2, so info on that seems likely.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Don't know exactly who but TFN has confirmed with someone in the know that it's not Episode VII.

Mange likes this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Deep Throat. Or, maybe it's Darth Throat. :)

16. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Thanks! I don't know how 'confirmed' one might regard that though... Out of curiosity, any word yet on what it was?

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    No problem! :) And no, I don't think there has been any word yet on what it actually was.

Mange likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    What's confirmed?

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That the pic of those screenplays that Bad Robot tweeted weren't for Episode VII.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Oh ok, thanks. Thought we had new info for a second, was too lazy to read through the last few pages :p

21. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I just saw Oblivion, and as you know, Michael Arndt penned the screenplay (under the pseudonym Michael deBruyn)

Loved it. Absolutely loved it. I usually don't like a lot of Tom Cruise movies (War of The Worlds, Last Samurai, Eyes Wide Shut, & Vanilla Sky being the exceptions), but wow, I was really impressed with Oblivion.

It almost reminded me of a film that Stanley Kubrick might make if he were around in 2013, just as far as the tone and the atmosphere of it. It was a really good film.

Just wanted to share my excitement and enthusiasm with yall, after seeing this film. I really think we're in great hands. I'll admit, I was skeptical of Arndt, because he had only penned Toy Story 3 & Little Miss Sunshine, and I thought Star Wars might be out of his range... Well.... I'm happy to say, I was wrong. Oblivion is nothing short of a masterpiece for me.

The character development was great, the story was great, the pacing was great, the dialogue was great, and I just enjoyed the film from start to finish. It might be a little slow moving or too desolate for some people's tastes, but I really thought it was done well.

There's virtually NO WAY the next episode of Star Wars can suck. My expectations for it are higher than ever, now. I expect a masterpiece. In my opinion, the creative team of the next Star Wars trilogy, will be the most talented nucleus to work on a SW film, to date. We're in good hands, fellas. Rejoice.

Go see Oblivion. Tell me what you think. Maybe I'm overrating it, I don't know, but I really enjoyed it. But I'm a sucker for dystopian sci-fi films, atleast, good ones.

Also, the casting was great. Morgan Freeman was excellent, as always. Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough were also very well cast, and nice eye candy to look at for 2 hours.

Immortiss and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  22. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I have been feeling this way as well.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I wanted to see this one and missed it in the theater; the Blu-Ray is coming out August 6 in the US.

I'm glad you liked it. The Tom Cruise movies I like are all at least 20 years old, namely Top Gun and A Few Good Men, but I thought the previews for this one looked good.

24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Merging this with the main Michael Arndt thread.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked Oblivion a lot, but I don't know how much credit to give Arndt, because the director (Joseph Kosinski) was also the creator of the story. He was there every step of the way during the creative process. Of course this in no way works against Arndt, it's just impossible to tell how much he contributed and how much was Kosinkski.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.