main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My brother used to watch Transformers almost religiously. That, GI Joe and He-Man.

For overexposure reasons I was turned off from anything Transformers for awhile. I can still hear the theme song from the late 80s in my head.

"Transformers...more than meets the eye. Transformers...robots in disguise."

I think the concept is cool though, as is that ride.

2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Look, this is England. It's supposed to be cold. Why has it been so damn warm for 3 weeks? I. Can't. Cope. With. Heat. Above. 10°C. Never. Mind. 30°C.

I don't know how people live in these conditions all year round.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    30°C.
    Cute. :p
    Though coming from Germany where it was in the 30s to here where it is currently around 5-15°C has taken me in a way I didn't expect; normally I love the cooler weather.

4. Dathomir-Witch

Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master star 2

Jan 2, 2013
    For some reason I read '... every time Optimus comes on the radio and threatens to destroy Orlando.' [face_hypnotized]

Meh, my attempt to demontage my laptop on my own was stopped by two tiny screws. Now I have to give it away to get it cleaned. No AC for me in the next few days. Or weeks.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Found this fascinating proposed transportation technology involving maglev trains in pneumatic tubes allowing for rapid transit between cities and even countries separated by thousands of miles (or kilometers):

You can read more about this here.

I must say, this is a wonderful technology that can really revolutionize ground transport between distant locales while being both fast and energy efficient (that's the big thing nowadays, no?). Plus, if it existed today, it would make traveling to visit my parents on the East Coast faster than my commute from my permanent residence to the university I'm currently working in! "Space travel on Earth", an apt name indeed!

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Today while working at my zoo internship, I'm walking through the primate building and hear someone exclaim "what the hell kind of exhibit is this? This is terrible. I sure as hell don't approve. Look how depressed they are! I'm going to complain!" I just turn right around and head through the nearest employee only door before they can see me.[face_relieved]

I really do hate people sometimes, when they don't have any idea what they are talking about and are looking to pick a fight over the treatment and accommodations for animals that they know nothing about and especially when they start projecting human emotion and motivation onto animals that are not human, which is a big no-no in any kind of animal study. For instance, when the gibbons swing back and forth hooting as part of a territorial display. People think that it looks like fun and therefore project the assumption that the gibbons are playing and having fun, when they are really putting on a display because they feel agitated by the growing crowds of people that are hooting back at them (essentially presenting a challenge over territory). Or when a colobus monkey comes up to the glass and people stare at it in the eyes (a challenge) and the monkey then begins pacing along the glass or reaching out and touching the glass, and people interpret that as though they've made a friend, when really they've made an enemy.

That kind of ignorance is understandable. But when it's 97 degrees out and the monkeys are all pretty much just laying about because it's just as hot to them as it is to us and they tend to be more active in the early morning or evening when it's cooler, and someone is going to project the idea that they are bored/depressed/mistreated and then try to lecture the keepers about that, that irks me. Ignorance is one thing. Trying to sell ignorance like you actually know what you're talking about gets to me.

I can't speak for every zoo, since there are going to be some **** hole zoos out there. But all of those accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums have to meet certain standards, undergo periodic inspections and provide adequate facilities for their animals. The USDA does inspections too to ensure that sanitation is maintained. And in the two zoos I've worked with, I can say first hand that all the keepers pretty much love their animals, I've seen them cry when they lose an animal. A lot of the animals are given affectionate names and in their spare time (when they are done with mandatory duties) keepers devote their time to projects to help stimulate the animals. For instance, freezing fruit, insects, meat drippings, etc. into popsicles that the animals love on a hot day.

And recently a monkey was sent to another zoo because her mate died and she was all alone, which is terrible for a social animal. So she was given to another zoo to be with another group, because that's in the animal's best interest - forfeiting an "attraction" that would benefit the zoo because of concern for the animal. It's not some money grubbing business where every corner is cut to save money, animals are abused and kicked and mistreated. There ARE some ghetto, unaccredited zoos that are little more than road side attractions where animals are abused, then again there are also some unaccredited zoos that are actually quite nice just because they are run by individuals that sincerely care for their animals.

Can I ensure that an animal is NEVER bored? No. Nor can I ensure I am never bored, nor my domestic house cat. Can I ensure the animals have unlimited space? No, nor do most animals have unlimited space in the wild, they carve out territories that are large enough to contain the resources they need to survive. All of those resources are provided. I can ensure that those animals are given the best medical attention possible, that they are given enough food and never go hungry, that they do not have to worry about becoming prey to another animal, and that if the species is endangered, the Species Survival Plan (SSP) will provide recommendations for ideal breeding partners to keep the species as genetically diverse as possible.

And when it comes to education and simply allowing people to see these animals relatively up close, I think that goes a long way towards getting people to care about them. I don't think the majority of people are going to make a trip up to the Arctic to see polar bears in their natural habitat in their lifetime. They do get to see them in zoos though. And when an animal like the polar bear faces extinction, I can't help but think that people being able to see them up close, in person is going to make them care about the fate of that animal more so than reading about them in a book or seeing them in an Animal Planet show. It's not a flawless institution. But I think overall they do more good than harm, and that overall the people that manage these animals genuinely care about them. So a woman that jumps to a conclusion in two seconds about an animal she doesn't understand, and then is going to bash the zoo over that.... It's better to walk away, because I have not been trained in customer service and chances are if she spoke to me, I'd give her this rant in an irritated tone and probably lead her to file a complaint about how the intern chewed her out.

/rant

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Why are people who are so against zoos, paying money to visit one? That's stupid.

There was a JCC or Senate thread a few months ago about zoos and I posted this there at the time: I was teaching third graders how to use an encyclopedia and they looked up an animal of their choice. A few of them picked lions, and the information in the encyclopedia said that the average lifespan of a lion is 10 years in the wild and something like 25 years in a zoo.

I'm really, really against circuses, can't believe they're still legal. The polar bear in the North Carolina Zoo was rescued from a circus, where he was kept in a tight pen in 100 degree temperatures. Obviously we don't have polar-bear weather here but he has a large pond and an underground air-conditioned cave, and he's actually at the Detroit Zoo right now because the NC Zoo is expanding his area.

I've taken my kids multiple times to both the NC Zoo and the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia and the animals seem very well treated, and particularly in the NC Zoo which has an eight-minute walk between exhibits, they have plenty of roaming space.

And geez, anyone with half a brain ought to know that any living animal isn't going to turn into Salacious Crumb or Colonel Gascon when it's hot; the animal is going to be about as energetic as we are.

8. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I just thought I'd give everyone an update on how I'm doing at university. I've almost been there for half of the course already, and it's been going pretty well. For everyone who doesn't know, I've been doing a graphic design course everyone Monday to Friday for almost four months now.

I've done heaps of assignments, which were poster and pamphlet design (which I uploaded a while ago on the fan art thread here), brochure design, magazine design, logo design and book design, with a few smaller assignments in between.

I was the only person in the class to pass the magazine design on the first attempt, because apparently it was exceptional, and everyone always says that my work is either the best or one of the best in the class, which is always great to hear.

For my book design, I created my own character guide to a new sci-fi graphic novel series that I made up for this project, called Cybo Systems. I got inspiration for all of my characters from Star Wars characters, which isn't very obvious, but if you know your Star Wars characters well, you'll probably be able to tell where my ideas came from. I'll upload all of the characters to the fan art thread here sometime next week.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Good to hear, JK. :)

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    TaradosGon: Random question for you: a friend and I were at a zoo recently, and they had just acquired a new penguin exhibit a week earlier. The penguins (and presumably their tank) were all on temporary loan from another zoo. A little over half of the penguins (there were about 10 in total) kept scratching the tank glass with their beaks. You could tell they had been doing it for some time, since the glass was severely damaged in some areas, and usually in the same spot. I know next to nothing about penguins and had never seen one before -- is this something they're known to do? Or was it some sort of peculiar quirk as a result of their move? Usually I would assume the latter, but since so many were doing it, I was wondering if it was related to some natural behavior.

(I know penguins might not be your area of expertise.-- I just wasn't sure if I should be weirded out or should shrug it off as penguins-doing-their-penguin-thing... :p)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I just have to go this next summer. I just have to. It's not a want, it's a need. I even have a costume designed, for heaven's sake!

07jonesj and JackG like this.
  12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Well its not Europe or Hong Kong but I'm a year older and got a week to stare at my favorite view. The beach. Feels good. Hopefully I'll have a better job in a few weeks..

And way to go Jordan1Kenobi

13. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

That's not something I've ever heard of. I have little experience with birds and no experience with penguins outside of getting to feed some. The zoo I'm at now only has jackass penguins (real name - their vocalizations sound like those of a donkey). At this time at the zoo, a lot of the birds are nesting and becoming aggressive. The jackass penguins are getting really "bitey" as their keeper puts it, and they can draw blood if they peck you in the l.egs, if you're not wearing rubber boots. My only guess would be maybe that they were pairing up to mate, getting aggressive, and perhaps trying to ward people off? None of ours have done anything similar to that AFAIK.

But from the birds that I have worked with, I know that what are otherwise shy/skittish birds become absolutely vicious when they have an egg. At the moment we have a pair of gray crowned cranes with eggs, and I can't get into the exhibit to clean and can barely feed them, as soon as I open the door to the exhibit, they come running over with their wings open wide and make a belch-like sound that reminds me of a sound that Jabba makes. They try to jump kick me with their sharp claws, if I don't have a broom to hold out and keep them at bay. Pretty much just open door, drop food dish, use foot to kick out old food dish, and use broom for protection.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    THE KING IN THE NORTH!
    Seriously, best show on television. Did you see the deleted scene?

15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Apparently news is that Batman will make an appearance in the "Superman sequel" (at that point isn't it just a Batman/Superman movie, and not a sequel to Man of Steel?)

I'm wondering how that's going to go down since they have to reboot Batman again, since neither Nolan nor Bale seem interested in keeping their universe's Batman going.

What I wrote on the subject on a different forum:

Otherwise, just do like Burton's original Batman in which they jumped right into the movie with Batman in action and did not bother to show how he became Batman.

16. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Wasn't a big fan of this song, and then I heard this cover. I think the nature of covers being sometimes more enjoyable than the original song is intriguing.

17. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011

I haven't seen it yet. I do know what it's about, though, and it seriously sounds good. I'm hoping it shows up on the Internet somewhere sooner than later.

18. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011

You're welcome.

19. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011

I just got back home and started looking for it and boom, there you are with the video!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JackG:
    I love how Tywin calls Tyrion his "son" and in a way acknowledges his son's intelligence and skill in maneuvering Pycelle off of the Small Council. It's also refreshing to see someone call out Pycelle again. And when I see the fish, I think of the Tullys.

Barriss_Coffee and JackG like this.
  20. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, definitely symbolism there. It's much like when he was skinning the stag in season one...

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

I wasn't crazy about Burton's Batman and prefer Nolan's; I enjoy seeing character origins and therefore really liked seeing how Bruce Wayne became Batman.

Man of Steel, OTOH...visually it was fantastic and the story had a lot of potential, which was then wasted by showing Superman and Zod fighting and tearing down buildings for over an hour. Literally.

All that said...if Bale isn't interested, I could get on board with your idea of bringing Keaton back as an older Batman. Just don't bring Michelle Pfeiffer or Kim Basinger back, please.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, 'cause Kim Basinger is still in stuff. :p

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The last time I saw Basinger she was still ridiculously hot for her age. That was only a few years ago in that movie with Zac Efron.

And Michelle Pfeiffer is the hottest Catwoman of all time. OF ALL TIME.

I like the idea of Batman Beyond coming to the big screen, especially as a way of avoiding telling Bruce's story all over again. But as TG said, Burton's style doesn't fit with Snyder's style, or anyone else's.

24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    What's Adam West up to nowadays besides Family Guy? He could always come back to the role. [​IMG]

25. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Wow the new episode of falling skies was excellent as always. Excellent idea to do a dream in a dream ! Pure science fiction !
    The SDCC revealed the trailer for the last three of the season :

For any Revolution fan, the trailer of season 2 :

Season 2 looks as good as season 1 ! It's going to be epic.

SDCC 2013 so epic : Tom Cruise ( yeah he was there !!! ), Emily Blunt, Samuel L. Jackson, Harrison Ford, Falling Skies cast, Revolution cast, Person Of Interest cast, The Vampire Diaries cast. It's bad that there was no clone wars panel for the bonus episodes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.