main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How do you know that? Just curious.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If they're gonna crib anything from the EU, Boba Fett's "The sarlacc found me somewhat indigestible Solo." is a pretty easy line to use.

3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Well, I did like Mother Talzin from The Clone Wars series, so Nightsisters in the EU would be a welcome.

How about no Vong War at all?

Me gusta.

Sure, might as well toss a bone to the fans. Although, it would be nice if a reference were made to one particular bounty hunter that's more cool than Fett will ever be. I'm, of course, talking about Cad Bane.

Jeff Zach likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I agree that there shouldn't be galaxy-wide conflicts in between trilogies.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think they're gonna pay 4 billion dollars for the franchise and then call their own films nothing more than EU.

6. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013

Well, I'm currently reading the NJO, and so far am enjoying it, mostly.
    Cad Bane is cool, no doubt about that, but I like Boba Fett better. And if Ford still wants Han to die, well... Fett may just be the ticket. The two could have a nice firefight and both have awesome deaths. But of course, I prefer Han alive.

7. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Or say that the films are only C-Canon and are thus, less true than the first six movies.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In spite of the fact that non-fans wouldn't know or care and fans respect the EU? (many fans respect the EU as much as they respect the movies, in fact)

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Why on Earth would they even consider it even if most people wouldn't know or care. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Darth_Pevra and DarthBreezy like this.
  10. Darth Metatron

Darth Metatron Jedi Padawan

Feb 5, 2013
    I agree with Darth Chiznuk, the EU fans or non fans feelings on the continuity or characters won't factor into any decision making as far as their use or non use.

I doubt they will have a set in stone policy akin to, "That was in the EU it can NEVER be used in a film EVER". By the same token I doubt they will enslave themselves to any aspect or characters' prior history or continuity if they do use some of the material.

I think Cad Bane is a good possible example. He's a well done character, the western motifs he's based in have broad mass market appeal and at least in my mind he fits most expectations of what people will buy into as far a character that doesn't seem out of place in the well established movie universe.

Perhaps Disney ends up being more likely to use a few EU characters or previous plot elements in spin off films as opposed to the ST, but they bought the whole EU too, so I'm sure they mine at least a few bits for use somewhere in their future plans.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Actually, we were discussing whether or not Disney would classify the ST as "EU".

12. Darth Metatron

Darth Metatron Jedi Padawan

Feb 5, 2013
    Well if they are going to number them and call them direct sequels, I don't think that even warrants discussion.

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've quoted this because I think it bears being repeated. The ST is part of the saga of Star Wars... a continuation of the saga, hence them calling it Episode 7.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Vong aren't boring.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    They actually are. But I tire of discussing this topic.

Does anyone think that if they do include EU elements, they might aim for different interpretations of them?

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Yes. For example, they might make Thrawn a Force-user and they might ditch the Joruus's insane clone backstory (especially considering that the insane clone backstory was intended to tie in to a false idea about the Clone Wars).

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Nom Anor, Vua Rapuung, Harrar, Tsavong Lah, his dad, Nen Yim, Mezhan Kwaad. Case closed.
    Nom Anor as a firebrand warlord in the years after ROTJ just like he was in Vector Prime but not as lowly. Top commander.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm just getting into the NJO and so far I think it's pretty good but not everyone is going to think so. InterestingLurker obviously has different tastes and there's nothing wrong with that. It's kind of a pointless argument to have since it's all subjective. Does his not liking it really effect you in any way?

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It's all in good fun. I'd rather have those characters than the villains in the Bantam days or the books since the NJO ended.

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What about Thrawn? What about Exar Kun?

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Thrawn and Nom Anor are the 2 best villains of the EU to me. Exar Kun was pretty good but the ones I listed from NJO were better.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If the post-ROTJ EU gets ditched, does Vergere remain captured by the "Far Outsiders" forever?

23. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008

The Vong are literally anything but boring. Don't get on this grind again, cause you're wrong.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Kreia is clearly the coolest EU-villain, followed by Xizor, Baron Tagge and Odion. :p But then it comes down to personal taste.

25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Continuing to argue over if the Vong are boring or not has nothing to do with E7, so lets not keep that up.
    [/mod_voice]

This is exactly what I think will happen. I don't think there will be a strong EU presence in the ST, but if they do use some elements I think they may change them to fit into what they need... which would be fine by me. Things are never exactly the same from books to movies, and things rarely look how you imagine them when they are on screen. I think that is just par for the course when moving literature elements to film.

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.