main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Dunes will soon bury Mos Espa set

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vthuil, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Some interesting news here. Not sure if I specifically have anything to say about it, but I figured some people might be interested in seeing it.

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Oh well.

3. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    so it goes.

4. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    My nephew's band (The More I See) have just had thei EP released; their video was shot at the the sets of Lars' homestead, and Mos Espa. If you're interested, the song is called 'The Eye That Offends'.

5. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Nobody cares.

6. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    Wow, how great it must be to be able to speak for everybody.

7. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    It really is.

8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Congratulations. Hope things turn out well for them.

only one kenobi likes this.
  9. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    As Luke told Leia in ANH: "I care."

10. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013

I found a link for only one kenobi 's nephew's band's music video. Of course my internet is slower than a sandcrawler right now so I can't evenwatch it, but from the stills, it looks like some totally dope footage from a significant and soon-to-be-buried film set.

Give grats to your nephew on the effort. (though I'm sure you already have...)

11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    That's absolutely brilliant. I mean, it's not really my music (my music is mostly the soundtrack to "American Graffiti" -- THAT's how much George Lucas saturates my life), but I really appreciate the cinematography and the choices that went into staging the video (such as can be guessed or glimpsed through the video itself). What an inspired use of Star Wars locations! Moreover, it brings those locations to life in a new way, making them seem more real, and adding more depth to their mythic "otherness". And the homestead portion even thoughtfully emphasizes how the homestead dome itself is like a celestial body setting against the horizon in ways the films themselves have more cautiously -- albeit, ingeniously -- hinted at. Really enjoyed that. Thanks.

only one kenobi and FRAGWAGON like this.
  12. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    the phantom menace tattooine set is getting eaten up by a dune? yay :)

lol, no but in all seriousness if anything was cool about ep1 it was that set (even tho the plots of the prequels shouldn't of involved tattooine but whatever).

13. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Tattooine seemed central to the plot for me, always has and always will

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Then we wouldn't have had Anakin if Tatooine wasn't part of the plot

15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    You can't stop the change any more than you can stop the suns from setting...
    Even so, this makes a small part of me sad :_|
    Oh well - Don't mourn 'em, don't miss 'em.

In the hypothetical scenario where LFL wants to make use of this set while shooting one of the new movies, would it be way too troublesome to get rid of all that sand?

- That face you make... Look I so old to young eyes?
    - You seem sad.

/LM

SlashMan likes this.
  16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    A bit, certainly not impossible. I've contacted the guys who restored the Lars' homestead and they said the place with the Mos Espa set is privately owned (therefore they, as fans, couldn't do anything). He didn't mention Lucasfilm, so I assume the owner is a third party/person.

17. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    In my opinion, Anakin could've come from somewhere else and Owen could've been Obi-Wan's brother like in the original EU. We didn't need to see Tattooine so much. That room should've been used to introduce new worlds so that Tattoine's uniqueness from the original Star Wars could've been maintained. But again, that's just my opinion!

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    We should do something to preserve the set!

19. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I think it will be restored or preserved. I heard a story on NPR that said that Americans and Europeans are increasingly going to Tunisia to visit the old sets. At first, the Tunisians didn't know what to make of it and thought these Westerners were a little weird, but as Star Wars became more well-known in Tunisia through DVD's and because people always want to make a buck, the Tunisians have tuned it into a little tourist industry. So, since people can make money off it now, I would bet that they'll protect that site.

SlashMan and darklordoftech like this.
  20. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Someone should go and grab a broom. Time's a wastin'!

But yes, I'm sure the set would be useful for tourist purposes.

21. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    The Lars Homestead wasn't threatened by a 50 tons lump of windswept earth.

Owen and Obi-Wan as brothers was never actually canon, but a protracted series of misunderstandings (in addition to making no sense at all). Everyone knows Obi-Wan is from planet Stewjon and his brother Owen is a totally different and unrelated dude. (He runs a car wash and does battle with Chad Vader on weekends.)

Unfortunately I must eviscerate you in regards to your misguided opinion of Tatooine. It is a lifeless world, but it is where life is given to Anakin. It's a world of slavery, and Anakin is a slave 'til his end. It's where Anakin experiences most of the pain in his Pre-Vader life. If Tatooine wasn't Anakin's homeworld, Luke wouldn't have family there, or live there more or less exiled until adulthood. There are such poetically thick links to be built between Anakin's and Luke's experiences, particularly with Tatooine, that to "preserve the uniqueness" of 'planet Dune-ripoff' by *not* taking advantage of its iconographic goldmine would've be one of the dumbest missteps in the making of the PT, and then the haters would have something real to complain about for a change. Thank the Maker, we got to see Darth Vader whining in the same garage and storming away from the same dinnertable that Luke did in '77.

On a tangential note, Attack of the Clones is rad. Just rad as all hell. I love that movie. Sentimentally my favorite Star Wars movie.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, it wasn't.

23. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    This is actually really really cool. I loved it. Thanks for sharing=D=

24. bellatroll

bellatroll Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 21, 2013
    I always knew Dune would bury Star Wars eventually.

25. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Buried by dunes? What if future archaelogical digs uncover it not unlike Taniss in Raiders of the Lost Ark and think this was part of some past civilization?