main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I've seen in wookiepeedia that it was printed in the Sacrifice paperback, good, I'll be able to read it.
    Can I read it after Balance point since it happens before Vector Prime? It won't spoil anything?

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm so sad about the lack of activity on Disney Wars.

3. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You're all good. No spoilers to worry about. :)

Contessa likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There's a definite lack of bounty hunter love in the NJO. Bossk has a cameo in one of the books but that and Fett's brief presence is about it, if I recall correctly.

5. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Thanks!

Yeah, Bossk (My favorite Bounty Hunter besides Boba Fett, by the way) is in the first book of the Hero's Trial duology, where he fights Han, too bad they don't show us the fight itself.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Dengar is my favorite after Fett. Both he and Bossk have a pretty good presence in the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy if you haven't read it yet.

7. rincewind86

rincewind86 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2013
    just wanted to add some comics to read.....
    i really do love the Legacy Aera ..100years ABY...they are great storys which much of the feeling you felt in the original trillogie just in a time playing 100 years after the movies.

i just mentioned these cause they are my favs, but they are others very good ones playing BBY.
    mhh where to start:
    ( i will give some timestimations when the story happens...but i did not google it caue iam to lazy, so dont flame me, when some estimations are not quite right)

Tales of the Jedi: one of the first comic series showing the expanded universe and showing a time when Sith fought Sith and the first climps in a time when the jedi where many. (3000 y BBY)
    Dawn of the Jedi: the first time that they began to show a time when the jedi still believed in balance and the duality of the force....showing a time before the jedi and sith became two seperated groups. but i would w8 until they released more storyarcs. (10000 y BBY)
    Republic: my personal fav when it comes to storys showing the clone wars. good charakters, better storys and the best artist-teamup i have seen in Star Wars. and one does not get the feeling "this could not have happend" which one gets watching this ****ed up Clone Wars Animated Series. (50 y BBY)

Star Wars Tales: this series was written "non-canon" as well as "canon" but it is more a playground for different artists to play around with star wars. every issue has 3-4 short storys which play from 10000 BBY till 50

Dark Times: i like the first arc very much...the rest..well, it is nice to see some of my fav chars to survive the republic series and the order 66 but since Blue Harvest they have lost me. (20 Y BBY)

Darth Vader Purge: Not a series but i thought under the title "purge" one can collect some of the more impressive Vader storys. During the last couple of years more and more standalone storys appeard which show how Vader searchs and eleminates the surviving jedi. Many of those show him not only as hard killing machine but often with hints of what is to come. How the Empire solidated their power in the galaxie is interesting to see, too. (20 Y BBY- 1Y BBY)

Then there are some other series and many many good stand alone issues, too.
    Just for mentioning: after Republic , they transformed the titel into "Empire" and after that "rebellion" which shows the time the storys are playing in (from E3-till E4 / E5) but th storys did not really impress me.

I will look in my collection at home and when i find some mor, i will update this post

8. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    I was thinking of (finally) starting a large era read through. I've read books here and there and I love the comics, but never have I actually read the EU in it's intended way, as a continuing story. I was thinking of starting with Truce at Bakura/The Bounty Hunter Wars and continuing through to the comic series Legacy. I was wondering what comics/books from the OTHER eras do you recommend in order to understand/get more out of this era? Would you suggest starting back in The Old Republic or Rise of the Empire or Rebellion era instead?

pronker likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The big story after ROTJ is all about the Skywalkers and the roles they play in galactic affairs. I'd say Truce at Bakura is a good starting point for those stories, and Legacy is definitely a good cap to the Skywalker Epoch. Other stories to read? Maybe Outbound Flight after having read the Thrawn trilogy, Hand of Thrawn duology and Survivor's Quest. Rogue Planet would be good to read right before Traitor. The Lost Tribe of the Sith Collected Stories would be good to read sometime after Omen, since they are a great companion to the story of the Lost Tribe we see in FOTJ.

And there's no real intended way for the EU to be read. It's all what makes you enjoy it the most, whether that means reading everything in chronological order or picking and choosing your favorite stories and reading them together.

pronker likes this.
  10. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I haven't read it yet, but I plan to. Maybe after I'm finished with the NEw JEdi Order, before venturing into Legacy of the Force.

11. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I have a question about the Legacy comics. I know there are two 'prequel' comics to the main 50-issue run, but I also know there's a new series that's a part of Legacy that's been released this year. What's that called and how does it fit into it all? The Wookieepedia page just mentions the prequels and the main run.

12. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    The new Legacy comic is an entirely new sequel series, Legacy Volume 2, which takes place after the original Legacy run, and features an entirely new protagonist, Ania Solo.

themetresgained likes this.
  13. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    Aaah, thank you!

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  14. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    No problem, happy to help!

Gorefiend likes this.
  15. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    The two can be enjoyed separaty without a problem but you should read the Ostrander one first.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There isn't a prequel to Legacy in any official sense.

BUT the PT-set Quinlan Vos epic by Ostrander-Duursema has characters that appear in Legacy, which is likely what the Wook page is referring to.

By the by, for UK-based posters, the Deluxe set of Jedi Path and Book of Sith dropped to £23 on Amazon tonight, that's quite a good price for a oversized, 2-haredback set.

pronker likes this.
  17. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    This isn't necessarily a question, but I got the blu ray complete saga recently and have been casually watching them and have noticed a lot of things I had not before. I know GL went in and added some new stuff but even so, I never caught on that Obiwan mentions Vos by name in ROTS, or that Anakin practically busted in on Palpatine looking at the Death Star plans! I went in knowing of the new additions, but now my brain is just playing tricks on me going "oh that must be new! Cool!" Is there a list of all the stuff that they added to the blu ray set anywhere?

18. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    Gorefiend likes this.
  19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I also only notice a lot of things on the Blue Ray but that had always been there, so you are not alone in this. :) Like that the Palpatine Statue they throw down at the end of ROTJ actually showed Palpatine in his ROTS robes.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  20. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I heard that there is a short story in Insider 143 that ties in to the upcoming Obiwan novel. Does anyone know if it is available for download somewhere outside of the issue?

21. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
  22. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    What order should I read/play the Old Republic in? Should I read TOTJ before all, save it for last, save it for after KOTOR the game, read KOTOR the comic then play the game etc.

VanishingReality likes this.
  23. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    This is a very subjective issue, and I suspect you'll get a number of varied responses. My opinion, however, is to begin at the beginning. Start with Tales of the Jedi, and follow the story to the Knights of the Old Republic comics, then move on to the games. And then, should you desire—though opinions are divided on this subject—you may want to wrap the KotOR saga with the Revan novel, which provides a certain sense of closure to both games while setting the stage for The Old Republic.

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Just play the game and have fun with it if you can, the books are not that relevant or all that entertaining anyway, neither is TOTJ for that matter. The Kotor comics are fun on its own, as are the two games. :)

25. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    So I'm 100 pages into Edge of Victory II: Rebirth. The first volume of the duology was great, it consolideted Anakin Solo as my favorite Solo kid so far, his rescuing of Tahiri (I've never read the Anakin Solo's young adult novels, where does Tahiri comes from? She mentioned being raised by the Sand People, is that true? How did that happen?) was very well done, and he emerged from the experience a changed person.
    I've also read the e-books Boba Fett: Pratical Man and Recovery, both quite decent reads

In terms of comics, I've ordered the Crimsom Empire trilogy and the first volume of Legacy. Can't wait for them to arrive, hope they're as good as people say.