main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    InterestingLurker : Since mav posted this 13 hours ago, I'm wondering...is there some point to your last post?

Even if she hadn't posted this, a back and forth "The Vong are boring!" "No they aren't!" "Yes they are!" "No they aren't!" would be pretty damn idiotic, unless we're all in the third grade and then it might be somewhat expected.

I'm trying to remember how this discussion even started in the first place--I'm guessing we were discussing what villains from the EU might work on screen? As I think I've mentioned before, I would like to see the Vong because they are a unique villain that hasn't been seen before in the SW universe and I think they and their vehicles would look awesome on screen. I'd take out the references to "infidels" though and I'd also take out the inability to sense them through the Force--that made them a bigger threat to the Jedi but otherwise didn't make any sense at all, since the Force flows through all living things and the Vong are all about biotechnology.

I can't comment on Xizor, Kreia or Exar Kuun. Definitely do not want Thrawn. People have said in the past that the other characters' inner thoughts about how Thrawn is the most awesome and fearful being in the galaxy, would not translate to screen, however, I saw what the writers did to Ahsoka in the last seasons of TCW and have therefore concluded that such "let me tell you how awesome this character is" writing absolutely can be put on screen.

C'baoth...I could see his Outbound Flight character on screen, and the audience would probably either love or hate him, there would be very little middle ground. And that can be a good thing. I'd rather not see his cloned self though, simply because I don't want any dead characters resurrected as cloned versions of their former selves.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  2. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008

Just stop bringing it up. If there's anything that's actually legitimately exciting it's the Vong war regardless of if you like it or not. If you think it's boring then you think Star Wars is boring. Like the Mod said though, we're done. Don't bring it up again.

JStepp likes this.
  3. Darth Metatron

Darth Metatron Jedi Padawan

Feb 5, 2013
    Legitimately as used above is a term that implies facts not personal opinion.

Only a fanboy speaks in absolutes.

My personal opinion is the Vong are the most un-Star Wars thing ever grafted onto the franchise and quite possible the most boring thing in the history of sci fi/fantasy.

But again that is just a personal opinion. Although I find the above post ridiculous as it presents a dislike of the Vong as if one is a flat Earther or gravity denier.

4. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I agree with the gist of that. The Vong, with their technology, are a child of the nineties when every franchise seemed to include species or ships with biotechnology,

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, you can't say "This is right and that is all" if it's literally just a difference of opinion about art. It's impossible that one person can more right than the other when it comes to artistic preference. There is no right or wrong answer, that's why it's art.

6. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Hey, don't disrespect, lest I Zerg rush your shebs. Nah, I'm just playin' man. :p

Anyways, I think it's best to steer this thread back to topic about the ST and the EU. Whatever news regarding whether or not the ST will keep elements of the EU will probably not be known until CEII at the earliest, if that. Maybe D23 as well. We'll have to see. Clouded, the future is.

But by 2015 don't be surprised if we do end up with separate continuities. Then this will happen:
    [Yoda voice]The shroud of Disney has fallen. Begun, the Canon War has.[/Yoda voice]

7. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Ha, I got it. [face_laugh]

Oh yes, that's bound to happen. I don't see how the post-ROTJ EU is going to survive the ST without being relegated to either non-canon or set in an alternate timeline (though I don't know how well the latter would work).

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    So, let me get this straight: if I think that a period in Star Wars history is boring, then I must think that the entirety of Star Wars is boring? That Obi-Wan, who is my favorite character in the Saga, is boring? That the Clone Wars CGI series is boring? That the Sith, who I have defended so far in this thread, are boring? That all those novels written by Mathew Stover, which I have recommended to people, are boring?

That's some Insane Troll Logic right there.

I'm continuing this conversation over PM so we don't derail this thread, but don't question my love for Star Wars.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Have a good time in there.

10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    k thanks

11. Darth Metatron

Darth Metatron Jedi Padawan

Feb 5, 2013
    I meant no personal disrespect to darthjulian777. I've been lurking here since the ST/Sale announcement and have been reading hundreds of pages of threads.

I just wanted to point out the extremity of the way the opinion was framed. Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion, and without some lively and healthy debate you don't really have a forum.

But I just wanted to make clear I didn't create account an account to troll or butt heads with fellow fans.

Clearly though as I mentioned in another post, this news void is making us all batty.[face_worried]

BigAl6ft6 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    We have to get used to it, we might get EU news at D23

I think Celebration will be about Rebels, and some ST hints.

Star Wars POST ROTJ is in limbo, until they get a copy of the script for adaptation for books, ans comics.

13. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Yeah, a new character like John Harri--oh, wait...

;)

(the 'fundamental part' being that he's SUPPOSED to be of Indian descent... not a pasty-faced white guy)

If the C'baoth-type villain's an insane old white guy Force-user, then they should keep it C'baoth. Fans would get over that he's not a clone pretty quickly, and only a few blowhard movie-purists would be upset that the EU was acknowledged even THAT much. If it's not an old white guy, if the psycho villain's not even human, then no need to call him C'baoth even if his character otherwise resembles him in behavior. EU fans will get over that, too, and a cool alien villain's far more enjoyable than the parade of boring humans we've had in most of the movies (hero AND villain). It's a space fantasy... I'm surrounded by humans EVERY DAY, I'm tired of seeing them as the most populous species in a galaxy far far away (always wanted Duros to be featured a lot more, since the EU calls 'em one of the galaxy's oldest spacefaring species... Cad Banes & Banniss Keegs all across the galaxy!)

14. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012

No he isn't, and neither are you. It's subjective. I think the Vong suck *** big style. It doesn't make me wrong or right, its just my opinion

DarthBreezy likes this.
  15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Let's stay off mini-modding each other

16. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 9, 2011
    I'm sure this comes up a lot, but why do we assume anything other than 30-50 years after the original trilogy as the setting for the new trilogy? The big 3 returning and their real life ages sort of locks us in there as a starting point doesn't it? From there, it makes the most sense to me to just pick up the core of the EU, such as grandmaster Luke, jedi reestablished, his kid is Ben, etc. Not trying to get into the minutiae, but shouldn't they just pick up where we are since you really don't have to explain anything that came before to meet most peoples basic guess as to where the galaxy would head after the original trilogy in broad terms.

17. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    That would be logical, but If you read interviews with kasdan, you can see that they're not looking at th EU for the backstory, plus the casting call doesn't match any of the eu characters from that time period. Plus when George Lucas let the EU go it's own way, with very little input from him.
    I doubt Arndt, and Abrams, or Kennedy paid much attention to the EU, since they're movie people, and they'd have their own vision for the new movies, and spin offs. It's the job of people like Pablo Hidalgo, and Leland Chee to get the EU to fit the movies, not the other way around.

18. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    But don't we agree that Luke, Leia and Han actors look a lot like the characters as described in Crucible? We're going to have similarities whether they try to or not.

19. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Crucible was written before the ST was announced, George Lucas doesn't pay attention to the story arcs in the EU, he considers them an Au to the Movies.
    In the new movies, Luke may never have married, or he had another wife, or a daughter instead of a son. Chewie will probably still be alive, because disney will want to sell Chewbacca toys. Leia, and have may never have had twins, or a son named Anakin. their might only be a few Jedi, and not an order.
    Boba Fett will probably still be dead, and Vader, and Sidious were the last Sith, because that was the status quo, at the end of ROTJ
    They have movie people working on the ST, no licensing people. Of course they'll want the big three, their the draw, from the ot, just like Vader, Obi Wan, and Sidious were in the PT, and the droids will be in all nine movies. Kasdan announced that they were starting fresh, in February. Look up his interview on google, type Kasdan, expanded universe, he's working with Abrams, and Arndt.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  20. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    Yes, I've read all that, I just disagree with you all that they won't be in a space where the only logical use for the big 3 is as elder statesmen so likely similar to how they are in the EU. The EU developed the way it did because it made the most sense. Next you'll be trying to tell me Han and Leia won't be together? I'm just saying it will be harder to avoid some of the EU than to just use it.

Yes, maybe Leia's a politician instead of a practicing Jedi and maybe Han did a lot more smuggling. I can't even begin to picture what Luke would have done other than work to rebuild the order. Maybe it's smaller or bigger, but still the basic premise will be there. I'm just saying once they set down the path laid out in the OT, forever did it consume their destinies. We're not going to be seeing Luke playing a character like the Joker, he'll be Luke as we've known him throughout the years.

21. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Logic has no place in this thread...

22. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    True, but then we can compare, new, and old eu.
    It's likely Leia, and han will be together, but dhe will most likely have been a Jedi, from right after ROTJ, it was Kevin Anderson, and Tim Zahn's decision to make her a politician, and not a Jedi. Force ghosts will probably appear of Yoda, maybe Anakin, and Ben Kenobi, since ROTS removed the time limit, Zahn introduced in HTTE, so they would have given him them more training. NJO onward was a move from Del Rey to move Star Wars from Space Opera/Buck Rogers/Flash gordon to Hard Sci Fi, with force Mysticism, expect the ST, to return to the Space Opera tone, and to be all ages friendly.
    don't expect the same character names from the EE, for the new main, and supporting casts. Luke will be the same, just older, wiser,and more powerful,
    as for the EU between, it will be retconned to fit between the OT, and ST, with new books, comics, and tv series.
    besides they've finished writing the scripts, they won't be out of character, but the EU was also biuilt around the supporting characters, now imagine the EU without Mara Jade, Thrawn, Jacen, Jaina, Anakin Solo, and their supporting characters, imagine no Bantam era thru Crucible, since each story built off the other. or the current, and past jedi, from JAT forward, and remove them from the stories. Now replace them with the new characters from the ST, and now you have to build backstories for them, you're left with Truce at Bakura to Tatooine's ghost. actually know, Leia would be undergoing her jedi training, and her marriage to Han then, and maybe the birth of the hypothetical child, No Mara Jade, Thrawn, Karrde, C'Baoth, Solo Twins, no Thrawn trilogy.
    all new jedi, eliminate DE, JAT trilogy, onward, no Solo twins, and Anakin, redesign YJK, NJO focuses on the universe built from the bantam era, major events, Chewie, and Anakin die, events happen tp bantam established characters, Disney wants Chewie, No Jacen, Jaina, or Anakin, NJO has to be restructured.
    Luke never marries, no Ben, or he has a daughter, or different wife, Swarm War has to drastically change, no more Sith LOTF to Legacy comics affected

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    *sigh* Alas, my Amazon 'Add to Wish List' button must be broken,,,,

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As aside, my "personal canon" explanation for why they never used therapeutic cloning to fix Vader and why Joruus and the Emperor Reborn were completely mental is that "clone madness" is the invariable result of cloning Force-sensitives.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

It boils down to too much craziness *cough* Del Rey books it's all their damn fault *cough* to wedge the ST in a way that would work because it locks the filmmakers into keeping the exact same kids with the exact same parents and their histories and so on. I mean, if they used the EU, Han & Leia would have a grandkid (from their dead Sith Lord son) and a married mid-30s daughter, that is way too much of the next generation to be skipped over for what is a generational saga. Same deal with Luke and Ben Skywalker. Even the Jedi order is basically fully re-established with a council and Jedis and Padawans and so on which puts Luke's new Jedi order basically at he exact same point the PT Jedi was when we first saw it, thereby skipping over Luke trying to rebuild on screen in the movies because it already happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.