main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The term "Fanboy" is derogatory

Discussion in 'Community' started by Merlin_Ambrosius69, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    The term "fanboy" is derogatory. In every instance in which it's used it's intended as an insult, a criticism, and/or to dismiss or diminish the target's opinions or position. Given that it's used on fansites and sci-fi/superhero/fantasy discussion forums, it seems to mean "a person who may share my general interests but with whose opinions I personally disagree and who I find to be a poo-poo head".

"Fangirl" is generally not derogatory. It tends to be used with a positive connotation.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong in this claim. Anyone?

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    What? Why would there be a difference based on the gender? It's always been the same thing to me.

i.e. Joss Whedon fanboys and fangirls are poo-poo heads

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    23yhn hibl2mgb o0 n932oo ihn93 hh9s3 90vusvn';82 f 9u2hnb.

5. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I've seen "fangirl" used as term of empowerment, pride in one's interests and community. "Fanboy" is always used as an insult or with a dismissive tone. Prove me wrong!

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    No, that's just because you're sexist. Fangirl is derogatory. So is fanboy.

That said, you're a fanboy.

7. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    It's used as a derogatory except by those strange few who apply the appellation to themselves in some kind of misguided attempt to "take it back". But it's still kind of derogatory even in that context.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  8. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    A quick and simple yahoo search reveals that "fangirl" is sometimes but not always used in a derogatory sense. It's frequently used as a self-declaration of identity and solidarity with other fans.

Fanboy is universally critical and derogatory.

10. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Wow buddy maybe if you're so sure about this you shouldn't have even asked us and just kept this gem of a fact to yourself.

11. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm not sexist and I'm not a "boy" but a grown, married, mature man. Or were you kidding? Hard to tell.

12. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    This is a discussion forum. You want to discuss this? Here's a thread for it. You don't want to discuss this? Don't.

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Now you've lost all credibility.

14. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Positive use of fangirl:

http://fangirlproject.com/

Are you a true fangirl? Do you eat, sleep and breathe your favorite comic book, TV series, film trilogy, anime, manga, superhero, sci fi/fantasy novel? Do you go to conventions, play D&D or any RPG, write fanfiction, make fanart, participate in LARP or cosplay? Do you collect something awesome? Are you known around the internets as a pioneer in your particular obsession?​

If the answer is YES to any of the above (and you're female), we want you to participate in our photo book and companion documentary, Fangirl.​

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol fascinating stuff

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Part of the lameness of this argument is that your only evidence for "fangirl" being positive is that certain females embrace it as such amongst themselves. There's nothing to stop you from doing the same. If you want to think of fanboy as positive, you could just start by admitting you are one.

17. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    This isn't really a discussion but a chick telling you that the term fangirl is derogatory, and you a "grown married man" telling me no, it's not, I'm wrong. :/

18. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    On what basis? Or were you just being snarky and unhelpful? Hard to tell.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What's to discuss?

Some people find the terms "fanboy" and "fan girl" insulting, some people don't. I don't have poll numbers on whether the majority of people who find the term offensive are male or female, but I really don't care either.

ETA: And what Jabba-wocky said. You can choose to find the term insulting, or choose not to.

20. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    That's a fair point! However, I'm unwilling to employ the word "boy" in reference to myself, as I'm 43, married and employed. None of those things fits the definition of "boy". "Girl", on the other hand, is used by adult women in a positive way to describe themselves, friends, even elderly women. Do you see the distinction I'm trying to point out here?

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Children learn to get over name-calling at an early age. Why are you so exercised about a derogatory term? Nerd and geek were derogatory once and still are in many contexts, and people got over it.

Or, you know, what Wocky said in the very first reply.

Oh give me a break -- "girl" was a misogynistic term used by men to belittle grown women for centuries. It's just now being reappropriated in a positive context, and you're complaining about it? You're being ridiculous.

Moreover, "boy" has been used in the positive sense by grown men ALL the time. It has plenty of negative connotations, but it's not exclusively negative.

22. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003

It doesn't matter what life accomplishments you have, your attitude is that of a little boy and therefore I'm going to keep thinking of you as one until you put the dunce cap on and do your quiet hour time properly for this embarrassment of a thread.

Ender Sai and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I will readily grant that offensiveness or insult is largely in the eye of the accused. I don't have to accept the derogation that accompanies the term. That is a helpful point.

However, I'm hoping to make fans more aware that the term carries an insulting connotation. It's used as a means to diminish an interlocutor's position. It also casts aspersions on people with whom one disagrees, as though their obsessions are laughable or silly, whereas my obsessions are rational and reasonable."I'm a fan: he's a fanboy".

Also, why do several people seem angry with me for wanting to discuss this? I'm not trying to push emotional buttons or cause a problem. I'm observing a facet of social interaction and trying to discuss it with like-minded folks.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    but but but someone called me a fanboy, waaaaaaaaaah

25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Fine, you make fair points. I'm not a mountain, unmoveable or immune to reason, and I don't feel I'm being ridiculous, I'm having a discussion. Jesus. Make sound points and move on, there's no need to deride me or get angry with me.