main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub X-wing Series Fan Club: Home of the Dancing Gamorrean

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi-Knight-Corran, Jul 12, 2004.

1. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I agree. So far, it does have the feel of the Wraith series. Long way to go yet though.

2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I think you'll find that feeling continues throughout the story! Hope you continue to enjoy it :)

CrazyOldHermit likes this.
  3. wobafett

wobafett Jedi Knight

Feb 17, 2012
    I just started with the X-Wing books a few months ago (mostly audio-book format) and when I got to Mercy Kill I was a little disappointed by how long it was drawn out, how boring it seemed to be and how little it had to do with the rest of the universe when it came down to it.
    I never finished it, but does it get better later on? Should I try the actual book vs. audio format?

4. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I had read the x-wing books back in the late 1990's. I quit SW after the NJO ended, seems I wasn't alone there. I only came back when I heard the Mercy Kill announcment. I re-read the x-wing series just all within the month before Mercy Kill was released and I loved Mercy Kill. I've never been able to stand audio books, they tend to put me to sleep. Or my mind wanders and I forget to listen.

To be fair I read LOTF and FOTJ before reading Mercy Kill as well (thanks to my local library). After reading the last several books in FOTJ anything could have been good, but I did read Mercy Kill twice. I rarely read a book twice. :)

5. CrazyOldHermit

Aug 22, 2007

Yeah, I read the X-Wing series when they were brand new too. So far, Mercy Kill hasn't disappointed. Of course, like you guys say, NJO changed everything. LotF just continued the change, and not really for the better. From what I've heard FotJ hasn't helped any, but I'm going to get through those too. However, after Mercy Kill, I'm thinking of going back a little ways and catch up on some older ones that I missed before I try to tackle FotJ.

6. wobafett

wobafett Jedi Knight

Feb 17, 2012
    I think it may have been the audio format, though the rest of the installments were fine as audio books. I also read all the comics before I stared the book series, and those were fantastic.

7. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    I think I've listened to maybe two books on tape in my life. It doesn't have the same feel, and reading the story to me feels better and more relaxing. Plus I can read really, really quickly. :cool:

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  8. CalaelAzasar

CalaelAzasar Host of Quick-Games star 5 VIP - Game Host

Mar 11, 2003
    I happen to love listening to audio books, if they are done well. I think it goes back to being homeschooled and my mom reading books to us. My dad read us The Hobbit and it was glorious. I managed to find one Star Wars audio book at a local library years ago, it was pretty well done.

9. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    My parents used to read me novels too! But nothing that advanced, the book I remember my mom reading to me most was James and the Giant Peach. That was a strange book.

I also love reading to my son and when I read to him now the baby can hear me too, so it's like I'm reading to two kids.

And in an attempt to sorta bring the subject back...We found a book about the adventures of Han Solo at the Library Sunday. I've read it to my son twice already :)

zarkinfrood and CalaelAzasar like this.
  10. CalaelAzasar

Mar 11, 2003
    I think having books read aloud to you is a great way to experience books! There were several books my mom read to us, that I've bought and still read. I really wish my two area libraries had more Star Wars books. The one has most of the X-Wing books, and then some older books, but only about 15 books in total for Star Wars. The other library has maybe 20-25, but some of those are the same books in both libraries, and this one has the X-Wing books the other doesn't. Although nobody had Star Fighters of Adumar....good thing I own that one.

SnubJockey likes this.
  11. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    I was homeschooled too. And my mom used to read us the Wizard of Oz books. That only worked for a year or two though, because I wanted to read a lot more than they wanted to read to me. They just couldn't keep up. ;)

12. CalaelAzasar

Mar 11, 2003
    The curriculum my mom used had a lot of other reading as well. Plus I did a lot of non-school related reading. I love to read. I just got about 12 books for my Kindle to add to my list of unread books. I really should work on that. Thanks to my Kindle I was finally able to get a couple of the NJO e-books, now I just need to get the other NJO books I don't have and finally finish the series. I don't think I'm going to read any SW stuff that takes place after NJO. I'll go with reading everything else.

13. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    Yeah, same with our curriculum. A lot of reading. Twas fun though.

Can't wait to read another x-wing book.

14. CalaelAzasar

Mar 11, 2003
    I'd love to read the X-Wing books again, too many other books to read for the first time right now.

15. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    I wasnt home schooled but my mom was a teacher so whenever my sister and I wanted a book she would buy it for us. Anything else we had to buy for ourselves. So needless to say, I read a lot of books. And gotta say my favorites were the X-Wing series, especially the Wraith Squadron ones. And I thought Mercy Kill was good.

zarkinfrood and Runjedirun like this.
  16. CalaelAzasar

Mar 11, 2003
    I have yet to read Mercy Kill

17. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I bought most of my SW book collection when I worked at Borders. That was a very long time ago, I miss that job and that store in general now that it's gone.

You should read Mercy Kill Calael! It's even in paperback now :D

18. FortunateFool

FortunateFool Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2013
    X-Wing series was awesome! I will admit though, that I liked Wraith Squadron more than Rogue Squadron. **hides from impending onslaught**.

adaml83, SnubJockey and zarkinfrood like this.
  19. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    No onslaught from me. Old Aaron is one of my favorite SW authors. I havent found one book of his that I havent loved. Hell my favorite book in the entire SW universe is SfoA.

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    FortunateFool, most people seem to prefer Wraith Squadron over Rogue Squadron, so that's really not that surprising.

SWBob and zarkinfrood like this.
  21. CalaelAzasar

Mar 11, 2003
    I tend to like Rogue Squadron better. I do like them both, but Rogue probably a bit more.

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I love them both, and don't like choosing between things like that, its part of the reason why I view the films as a six film saga instead of two trilogies.

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  23. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    I read to my brother Luke - he became blind after a head injury, so I read the entire X-wing series to him, and the Thrawn Trilogy, and various others. Last one I started reading to him was Vector Prime. Didn't finish that one, we both got busy.

CalaelAzasar and SnubJockey like this.
  24. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    I like Allston's characters better. They feel much more "human" (for lack of a xeno-friendly description) and very distinct, while many of Stackpole's characters feel like they speak with the same voice. And then there's the fact that Allston wrote Starfighters as Wedge's "Day in the Limelight."

Revanfan1, Katana_Sundancer and SWBob like this.
  25. CrazyOldHermit

Aug 22, 2007
    Both squadrons are a lot of fun, and for different reasons.

Mercy Kill is still keeping me entertained. ;)