main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why Was Palpatine So Happy to Hear Anakin Wants to Kill Him?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SkywalkerJedi02, Jul 23, 2013.

1. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    I mean wouldnt that upset him because his plans for his empire would be in ruins surely or did he have a plan b?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He liked seeing Anakin that pissed off, because Jedi are supposed to be in better control of their emotions than that, and Jedi don't threaten to kill people, they only act in self-defense.

He had Anakin exactly where he wanted him.

3. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    For the same reason he taunted Luke into attempting to kill him.

4. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I can't picture an "upset" Palpatine.

...except maaaaaaybe while he's falling down that shaft.

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Sidious didn't need a backup plan because Skywalker was a hot-mess: "But you aren't sure of their intentions are you?"
    ;)

Jedi Merkurian and hear+soul like this.
  6. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Sidious feeds off of anger and despair, especially in the person who he was trying to turn to the dark side. He had the trump card of 'I can save Padme', so Sidious was never in danger of Anakin actually killing him.

7. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Plus.... Sidious is no joke at hand-to-hand. Even if Anakin attacked him, he'd probably be able to buy time and talk to calm him down. Like Joes said, he had the trump card.

Great avatar, btw, SkywalkerJedi02.

Joe Antonetti p.s.- off topic- your signature is great news!!!! [face_dancing]

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  8. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Anakin would never have killed Sidious. He was happy because Anakin wanted to kill him, which means he has what it takes to be a Sith. Anakin's hatred is what made him want to kill Sidious, not some Jedi ideology.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Falling into hatred and killing your enemy is the first step into the path of the Dark Side... Killing Palpatine would only enable Anakin to fall easily into his trap.

10. SkywalkerJedi02

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes but what if Anakin had killed him?

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Anakin didn't have the stones to kill his mentor and Palpatine knew it.

12. SkywalkerJedi02

Jul 3, 2013
    well if palpatine egged him on I think he would if he gave him good reason to.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin was stupid enough to believe that Palpatine had some power to keep Padme alive so...yeah. Killing him wasn't going to happen.

If we're that interested in playing hypotheticals though, Anakin would have been arrested for assassinating the Chancellor, and the Senate would have demanded his head on a platter. The Jedi Council may or may not have bought his story about Palpatine being a Sith--remember, Mace felt he had to check the story out himself.

14. SkywalkerJedi02

Jul 3, 2013
    Yeah I see that it would be stupid

15. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Palpatine knew the way of the Sith. I think he was trying to lure Anakin in under his watch, but knew that if he was to be killed, it would still send Anakin to the Dark Side. Either way, the Sith win.

16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Doesn't that mean Darth Maul would have to train him?[face_mischief]

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Trolls are always happy to see their trolling is working.

18. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    It showed that Anakin was well on the path to the Dark Side, and therefore to become his servant. Plus,

19. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Palatine was the puppet master. Even as Vader he had no idea until the throne room that he was a punked. Anakin have followed the lie blindly, never questioning anything, as a result of selling his soul for a false promise.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    In my hypothetical, Anakin arrests Palpatine and brings him to the Jedi Temple. That would've fixed everything. :p

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    What about Mas? He was the VC & a Sith puppet...

If the Jedi arrested the Chancellor and took him to the Jedi Temple, then Mas would have made the call and Order 66 would have happened a little bit sooner. Once Palpatine got Anakin a seat on the Council, it was all over for the Jedi... they were painted into a corner they could not escape from.

22. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    I don't think Mace had to check if Anakin's claim was true. Once he arrives at Palpatine's office, he almost immediately ignites his lightsaber and says he's under arrest. And Palpatine did not say anything the least suspicious up until this point to make Mace think he was really a Sith like Anakin claimed, because he only says, "Master Windu, I take it General Grievous has been destroyed?", which actually almost implies the opposite i.e. that his loyalty really does lie to the Republic and Democracy. And Mace said he is under arrest before Palpatine went aggressive and pulled out his saber, so he really had no reason to believe he was Sith other than what Anakin told him. Therefore, he must have trusted Anakin's claim.

markdeez33 likes this.
  23. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I think it is a matter of personal pride among Sith masters for them to see their apprentices want to kill them. I remember reading about how Palpatine, coming from a long line of masters who had been killed by their apprentices, basically dumped Maul on some wasteland of a planet and when he returned, he kicked Mauls ass in a duel, then basically told Maul hat he was dumping him as an apprentice. This made Maul want to kill his master so badly, that he bit Palpatine's hand out of desparation. This had been a test for Maul, as wanting to kill your master was the trial of becoming a Sith Lord. I think that Palpatine had the same malicious test going in with Anakin, only more subtly this time around. He played mind games with Skywalker, molding the guy into his own future apprentice. When Anakin revealed that he wished to kill Palpatine, Palpatine saw that Anakin was ready to become a Sith Lord and that his patience had finally paid off.

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
  25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Although I'm not a big EU man, I found the Darth Bane novels by Drew Karpyshyn to be very useful in throwing light on Sith ideology, including this issue.