main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This was my first time playing, after hearing for years how wonderful it was and being endlessly jealous I didn't have a group to play with.

I got to pick characters first, so I picked Roslin. Being President had a nice ring to it -- and I liked that the President's power is to draw from a special deck of Quorum cards. I made some joke about designating my successor, but then the first deck of Quorum cards I got let me designate my successor; which disabled the mechanism that allowed other players to drive me out of power.

Admiral Adama early on got a card that meant she demanded my resignation, or I went to the brig. So I went to the brig instead. The other players were not inclined to help me out since they felt that if I really cared about the fleet, I'd have given the presidency away so I could continue being a productive character -- but I wasn't about to let the admiral and president be the same person.

No dictatorships here! I eventually convinced another player to help me get out, promptly discovered the admiral was a Cylon but couldn't get the other players to believe me, resisted several other attempts to force me to resign (again earning the ire of the players for causing resource losses -- but I considered democratic process more important!). Then I got a Quorum card that let me support a mutiny and appoint a player of my choice as admiral, but I didn't appoint myself because -- again -- constitutional principles! Then I got a card that let me jail Adama.

Now the whole time I was doing all of this, everyone else was like... shooting cylons and repairing the ship and stuff, while I stayed on Colonial One -- the same square the entire game -- only racking up Quorum cards. This annoyed the other players who called me a useless politician, but Quorum cards are useful and I'm the only one that could get them!

The machinery of good government must continue, even in times of war! And so I managed to hold my presidency the entire game, and did nothing but presidential things the entire time except for one time that I was in the brig.

Man, what an awesome game.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Isn't that the game where any of the players can be a traitor? I've always wanted to try that.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yep! That's what makes the game really intense -- luckily we only had one Cylon, and I spotted her early due to a card. I had suspected she was one, but it might also just have been her usual disagreeableness since we don't agree on anything and she might've just wanted the power for herself. That's the great part about the psychological warfare of the game: you can never tell if someone is beign deceitful or not.

Except if I were a cylon I'd have serious issues because I don't like being a bad guy. Except I almost never am -- I am never the mafia in Mafia, but people always think I am because I refuse to make big speeches defending myself. :p

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    That is an amazing costume. I God how I wish I had one! :_|

--Adm. Nick

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Other guy. I can't believe you don't watch Mythbusters. It is hands down the greatest show for geeks and nerds that was ever created.

7. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    And very available online.

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So I just beat a pacifist playthrough of Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the hardest difficulty. Yeah, I'm kind of awesome.

Blithe likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah but the problem is that everybody likes it and talks about it...

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    You should watch this one show. No, I won't say its name, that way you just might see it. But it's great. You are really missing out.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Stop being such a hipster.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know what that is.

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Naturally, because it's a popular term that people talk about.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    They're pretty new, you probably haven't heard of them yet.

15. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003

And a little crazy. :p

RC-1991 likes this.
  16. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Well, the difficulty level is pretty much irrelevant when you're stealthing a pacifist run, so...

:p

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Don't belittle his accomplishment, you meanie mean pants.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, belittle Uli's accomplishments instead!

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, there have to be accomplishments to belittle.

20. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm test-driving a new avi. Not sure how I feel about it, but it's more gender appropriate - might lead to less misunderstandings.

But I really like that Han on Hoth one. [face_dunno]

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    **** gender profiling; make your avatar whatever you want it to be.

Barriss_Coffee, Gorefiend and krtmd like this.
  22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah Jack also has a Girl as Avatar and is a guy. [face_whistling]

23. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I commend you on your choices, Gorefiend -- Hutts are hermaphrodites.

Barriss_Coffee and RC-1991 like this.
  24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I know no need for gender appropriate :)

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm actually a tree.

Gorefiend likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.