main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rate The Six George Lucas Films, Favorite to Least Favorite (poll added)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by kenobifan1999, Dec 29, 2012.

?

Which is your favourite Star Wars film?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

26 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

22 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

147 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

75 vote(s)
    12.4%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

245 vote(s)
    40.5%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

90 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. Maizel

Maizel Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2013
    1: Empire Strikes Back 9 Easily the best of the lot. Many awesome locations, battle of Hoth.
    2: Revenge of the Sith 8.5 The best of the PT, awesome saber fights and CGI. Anakins fall into Darkness, and a pleasant surprise after AOTC
    3: A New Hope 8.4 Awesome film. Aged really, really well. It holds a 10 in my heart, but the PT, despite being 'lesser' movies overall are more watchable to me.
    4: A Phantom Menace 7.8 Good film, but could only disappoint after the crazy amount of hype. Gets pulled down by the ridiculous JarJar Character
    5: Return of the Jedi 7.5 Not bad, but alot of the film is a Deja-vu from ANH. Death Star fight etc.
    6: Attack of the Clones. 5 Too much drama and stupid love scenes.

DarthDuckie likes this.
  2. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    1 Empire Strikes Back
    2 Return of the Jedi
    3 A New Hope
    4 Revenge of the Sith
    5 Phantom Menace
    6 Attack of the Clones - this film is the worst.

3. oxidious88

oxidious88 Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2013
    1. ROTS - Because, obi wan and anakin fight? amazing.

2. ANH - The first time seeing the death start was like...woah...

3. AOTC - Visually the most amazing war scenes hands down. Seeing the origin of the trooper was awesome too!

4. TPM - Qui Gon Jinn, battle droids, naboo? All so awesome to see. Plus I will never forget playing the opening scene in the ps1 game.

5. ESB - Hoth. Nuff said.

6. ROTJ - Although the duel at the end in the dark was visually awesome, the story felt like it could have been taken so much further but they didn't end it with a cliffhanger or some kind of "wait...what if that wasn't the end??" kind of feeling. Obviously now we know they are expanding this, but back then I was kind of disappointed by that

4. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    1. Empire Strikes Back: Has arguably the most iconic scenes, yes it's a cliche choice but it's also the best choice.

2. Return of the Jedi: I always have loved the Jabba's Palace scenes as well as the final battle (Endor/Death Star II Assault/Luke, Vader, and Palpatine)

3. Revenge of the Sith: Epic story.

4. A New Hope: The beautiful introduction.

5: The Phantom Menace: Really not as bad as everyone says.

6: Attack of the Clones: Worse than everyone says. The love scenes in this film are an atrocity, and the intorduction of Hayden Christenson solidifies the PT's dark legacy.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    4 5 6 3 1 2

I can choose any of the OT as my first choice depending on what I'm in the mood for. PT is well behind and my choices are much more definite.

6. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I've done this before, but I've probably changed my mind since then, so I'm doing it again.

Attack of the Clones
    Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Clone Wars (show)
    Revenge of the Sith
    The Phantom Menace
    Return of the Jedi
    The Clone Wars (movie)

That's right. Attack of the Clones is my favorite and I included the animated stuff. Whatcha gonna do about it, huh? Yeah that's what I thought. GET SOME

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Well, you certainly have courage. But what good will it do if you get yourself flamed?

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth Eddie like this.
  8. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Why would anyone flame him?

His opinion's just as legitimate as anyone else's. And there's nothing wrong with disagreement.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth Eddie like this.
  9. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    Only the courageous get flamed.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    This is a strange statement simply because you are stating your opinion and this thread isn't about arguing.

11. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    1. Episode 2 : Attack of the Clones
    2. Episode 6 :Return of the Jedi
    3. Episode 4 : A New Hope
    4. Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith
    5. Episode 5 : Empire Strikes Back
    6. Episode 1 : The Phantom Menace

Davak24 likes this.
  12. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    It was just a joke! I like having fun while talking about my favorite movies.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Carbon1985 like this.
  13. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    as ive said before, even tho AOTC is my least fave it has some of my fave scenes and it closest to the saturday matinee that is the heart of Sta
    rWars

Darth Eddie likes this.
  14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

You did not just go there :p

SpecterSquadronLeader likes this.
  15. SaberTerra

SaberTerra Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2013
    1. Episode 2
    2. Episode 3
    3. Episode: 6
    4. Episode 5
    5. Episode 1
    6. Episode 4

16. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    1. V
    2. III
    3. IV
    4. VI
    5. I
    6. II

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    V
    IV
    VI
    III
    II
    I

18. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    Return of the Jedi (except all the Emperor and Vader/Luke scenes, those are actually my fav of the entire trilogy)
    The Phantom Menace

Darth Eddie likes this.
  19. JourneymanFett

JourneymanFett Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2013
    1.AOTC
    2.ESB
    3.ANH
    4.ROTS
    5.TPM
    6.ROTJ

Darth Eddie likes this.
  20. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    Best to worst:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Revenge Of The Sith
    3. A New Hope
    4. Return Of The Jedi
    5. Attack Of The Clones
    6. The Phantom Menace

21. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    1. The Empire Strikes Back - It used to be my second favorite of the OT as a kid, but after rewatching the film as an adult, I realized that it was definitely the best. The film took what made ANH great and fleshed it out even more, exploring more into the mystical side of the Force and had that presence of darkness through out the whole film, building up to that moment. Quite simply, a cinematic masterpiece.
    2. Return of the Jedi - For the longest time, this was my favorite film in the series, but having watched it again as an adult, I see rather noticeable flaws in the film (ex. Ewoks defeating Stormtroopers). However the film's peaks (namely Luke vs. Vader) are some of my all-time favorite moments in any series ever, putting it above ANH.
    3. A New Hope - One of the most fun movies to watch on just about any given occassion. Great story, great characters, great film.
    4. Revenge of the Sith - Definitely the best of the PT, and the closest any of them got to matching the quality of the OT. Not perfect by any means, but certainly not inherently bad.
    5. The Phantom Menace - I haven't seen this film in its entirety in years, but I remember it a bit more pleasantly than I do AotC. It also helps that TPM has one of the best fights ever in SW history.
    6. Attack of the Clones - I remember seeing this in theaters for the first time as a kid, and it was the first time I watched a film and truly did not enjoy it. It was just flat-out boring most of the time. However, I give it props for the memory of a theater packed to the brim with Marines and seeing everyone in the whole theater rise in standing ovation when we all saw Yoda fight with a lightsaber for the first time.

Sarge likes this.
  22. darthwannobi

darthwannobi Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2013
    ^ CP, loved hearing about the Marines' standing ovation for Yoda!

1. ROTS - It gets personal for every Jedi in this one - Mace, Yoda and even the younger ones. Sideous betraying Dooku was cool. It's really intense.
    2. AOTC - Jango and the intro to the clone army. Arena battle was awesome and loved Obi-wan scolding Anakin after Padme falls from the ship. Also first time Mace and Yoda got into the mix. Awesome.
    3. ANH - I saw this when it was first released (5th grade maybe?) I watched the film, left the theater and got right back in line to watch it again. Loved Luke's story here - From farm boy to death star destroyer.
    4. TPM - It was so cool to finally see the Jedi Temple, Yoda at work, young Obi-wan, more Tatooine, the Senate and Darth Maul was awesome. And Jar Jar was fun to joke about. ... Still is
    5. ESB - Until the PT, this was my fave of the OT. I think because it was so gritty. But now watching the saga in order, ANH is my fave of the OT - maybe because of how well it unites the trilogies.
    6. ROTJ - Not sure why this is last on my list. Maybe I just didn't want the SW story to end.

I could probably mix up 3-5 in any order depending on what type of movie or what scenes and characters I felt like watching. But ROTS and AOTC are my top two favorites of the whole saga.

23. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013
    It was quite memorable. My family was stationed at Okinawa at the time, and back then you usually had to wait a month or two after a film had already been released state-side to see it in theaters on-base, unless one of the several American military stations there was having a special screening at one of their theaters. In which case, you had to stand in line for hours outside the theater to get your tickets, since it was first-come-first-serve. My dad was in the Navy, but we were stationed at the Air Force base there, while it was like a twenty minute drive over to the Marine base.

You could really tell that most of the people in the theater, my 9 year old self included, were incredibly bored watching most of the film. It was entirely packed, but it felt pretty dead most of the time. Then Yoda hobbled onto the screen to save Obi-Wan and Anakin from Christopher Lee and the mood in the room brightened immediately. It was really electric. And then he whipped out his lightsaber and everyone stood up and began to cheer and clap through out the entire fight scene. Then after that, the mood was dead again and it just switched right back to that flatline vibe again.

Interesting list! =D=

darthwannobi likes this.
  24. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    This is such a common opinion among the our age group who grew up with the OT from 77-83. I loved ANH in 1977 (and that has never changed) and loved ROTJ in 1983 (that has changed as it didn't age well) and did not like ESB in 1980. It was too dark for me at 8 years old, as I still remember being freaked out when Han cut the guts out of the Tauntan. I wasn't expecting the good guys to get their butts kicked for 2 hours, and at the time questioned why there wasn't a true ending like the original in 1977?

Then around highschool I started to change my views towards ESB. As I got older, everything I hated about it I started to understand as part of the grander story now, and the 'darker' tone appealed to me. I still remember watching it on SciFi in highschool on a holiday weekend marathon and for the first time marveling at how great ESB was and how much I had changed in 10 years. I still say the last 40 minutes of ESB (When Han lands on Cloud City) and last 30 minutes of The Godfather (When Michael takes full power) are as good as it gets when it comes to great movie-making.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  25. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Well truth be told, I wasn't around when the OT originally came out in theaters. RotJ pre-dates me by a decade. [face_blush] However, I remember a time as a young boy where those were the only Star Wars films out there and I watched all three of them many, many times before I was even five years old.

Your point on how seeing the heroes lose almost entirely to the bad guys through out the film in TESB being something that wouldn't work right for most kids makes a lot of sense. Part of what I loved about RotJ growing up was how good finally triumphed over evil and so on and so forth. Like you also pointed out though, RotJ has not aged well. I actually just watched both TESB and RotJ back-to-back last night and that was the thought that ran through my head. TESB holds up insanely well today, but there's a lot of shaky things about RotJ. However I still stick to my guns that RotJ's peaks are some of the absolute best moments in SW history. :)

Carbon1985 likes this.