main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph I am addicted to television.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Aw, and so soon after I won it at the JC Awards?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Rogue Ten's doping, he'll be literally stripped of it in about a decade.

MASTERPRENN and tom like this.
  3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    im doping myself with prune juice. its like steroids for negativity

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    TNG hasn't aged very well. Especially the first two seasons.

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    So, I heard that the X-FIles Blu-Ray transfer has been pushed back from 2013 to 2014 (via Comic-Con). I had been holding out for the remastered set, but today found a 57 disc DVD set of seasons 1-9 plus the 2 movies. It was almost half price (NZ$180 down from $300).

So I bought it!

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/DVD/X-Files-Seasons-1-9--2-Movies/8818197/

[​IMG]

Ever since Fringe ended (and Lost ended) I've been looking for something to fill the void in that well written sci-fi field, and as nothing is hitting the spot, have decided to go back to the classics. I've not watched it since it originally aired on TV.

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Season Two wasn't good when it debuted. But seasons 5-7 still work pretty well IMHO.

I'm on a the New BSG kick right now. Great show.

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Several months ago, I started TNG season 1. I'm still less than halfway through. The problem is, I'm really stingy about watching a show from the very beginning, even if it doesn't "get really good" until middle seasons, but holy god, is TNG really pushing it. Should I just skip to season 3?

8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    There are important seasons 1 and 2 episodes that provide background for later stuff, but I'm too lazy to go through and list them all. At least watch "Measure of a Man" and "Q Who?" from season 2. They're actually good.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    QMAOFT

Watching out of order>Watching shows in order

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I, too, like not knowing what the hell is going on a show.

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Lost fan, then?

Saintheart and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It was one of my favorite shows in the last two years or so actually, yes.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

If you're about watching the whole thing, I say stick with it if you can laugh at some of the episodes. I mean come on, you can't skip Skin of Evil. You just can't, you have to watch that. The episodes with moral messages, like Tasha's Just Say No speech in Symbiosis are like those "movies" you watched in school about drugs, bullying, etc. It's like watching Reefer Madness.

Don't skip to season three, the quality actually starts to pick up significantly in season two, it still has that primitive sense to it but it's starting to become what it becomes later, you can easily see the transformation. The transformation alone is worth watching, imo.

If you really can't stomach it, maybe Darth Guy and I can make you a list of essentials.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You should watch it in reverse order.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well Season Two got hit hard by the Writer's Strike that year and the inexplicable decision by Roddenberry to replace Crusher with Pulaski (I liked Pulaski, but yeah, I can see how she's not liked for replacing Crusher).

Especially watch "Q Who" as that has an impact on several episodes of the series going forward.

Infact, you need to watch every episode Q is in.:)

17. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Never quite understood why McFadden left and then came back. Yeah the writers strike did force them to pull out some old scripts(from the old unproduced tv show in the 70's that never happened? Can't remember) from what I remember.

And as mentioned by Darth Guy, Season Two does have the intro of The Borg. Season One intros Q with some solid shows. So it's not a complete loss. There's actually a few episodes from each of those that are some of their best. Measure of a Man is a great episode reminiscent of the OS. But the show really started come into its own in S3.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It was Roddenberry's decision from what I understand to fire McFadden and hire Diana Muldur as he wanted a "Bones McCoy type of Doctor" to antagonize Picard. When everybody realized it wasn't working out, McFadden luckily agreed to return.

Measure of a Man is probably the best episode in Season Two and probably one my top ten episodes of the series.

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh yeah, that's right. McFadden didnt leave the show. That's in the TNG Chronology book. Nice read.

I think season two also intro'd Guinan did it not? Not my favorite character as she sort of did what I thought Crusher was supposed to do: be the soundboard for Picard.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes, Guinan was introduced in that season. And I'm guessing (just guessing) having the Guinan character on board is partly what lead Gene to decide Crusher would be the character to leave to make room for the 'Bones' Type character that became Pulaski since, as you said, Guinan was pretty much being the soundboard that Crusher and Troi were for Picard, minus the UST that Crusher and Picard had.

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Isn't there a Star Trek thread? This one I thought was more for those shows that didn't already have a dedicated discussion?

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't own a TV anymore. After Firefly was cancelled, I just gave up on TV.

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Californication! Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge! Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown!

I love Winter television.

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Ok. So Californication has been sliding since the 3rd season. This is the final one so I'll stick it out. And I do love the Marcy and Runkle scenes

Jim Hensons creature shop is good, but too many pair challenges, and they don't seem as skilled as the artists in Face Off.

Bourdain is as good as ever.

Have just finished the end of Banshee season 2. Dumb, sexy, violent cartoon of a show. Love it.

Other shows I've just started on (Game of Thrones and True Detective) have their own threads I'm reading through episode by episode.

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    That must be a chore for the GoT thread. :p