main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation OFFICIAL Episode VII/Spin-Off Casting Rumors and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Kez-Iban, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Actually it was the main drive of Luke Skywalker to become a Jedi hero. He always looked out to the sky, imagining his fathers adventures.

"I am a Jedi like my father before me."

Then it turns out that his father isn't the mythological being he thought him to be, but rather a very flawed human. Luke learns not to be dependent on idols but rather forges his own path.

I'd prefer if they focus on evil granddad before they retread one of the OT's most important themes. If you knew Vader was your grandfather it would certainly influence your mind. The hero might think that Skywalkers are more prone to go evil.

Immortiss and Graphic like this.
  2. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    You make several good points, but for some reason I never felt that as an overall theme to the trilogy. Though the idea of the Darth Vader as your grand-dad has its appeal too.

That was what affected Leia the most in the books when she thought about having kids. So it has its possibilities.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  3. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Ultimately whatever Abrams and the rest decide is what we get though. The rumors of Gosling gunning for the role of Luke's son of course opens many doors too. If they have any validity.

4. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Although I said a bit ago it should be taken with a pinch of salt, I wouldn't mind Efron, he's a decent actor and wasn't he already a Skywalker in Robot Chicken? Also that pic in the jedi t-shirt, he has an uncanny resemblance to Jake Lloyd. Anyhooo, Gosling on the other hand, he seems flavour of the month and I'd be less inclined to want to see him in Star Wars, he's alright at acting for sure and I wouldn't implode if he was cast, but personal thoughts, meh.

5. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Funny thing is..I think some people would be adverse to Efron more than Gosling...cause when i hear Efron..I think Disney channel

6. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Now Dicaprio huh? I wouldn't mind if he was cast. He's done a number of great movies outside of the tearjerking borefest of Titanic.

7. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

He wasn't bad in Django Unchained. I was impressed with him there. I'm just having a hard time seeing it...

8. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Wasn't Gosling a Disney kid too? All Hamill had been in was soap opera and he turned out pretty good. Also depends on what these roles are and how they've been written. And of course, none of this may pan out anyway.

9. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    Was he? Well, I guess this is a case of let the chips fall where they may

10. bergstrom

bergstrom Jedi Master star 2

Jan 26, 2004
  11. jedilips

jedilips Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2013
    Efron rumor smells like Disney trying to wedge their tween marketing machine into the movie. No thanks. Let Abrams cast who he wants and leave the tweens out of it - they get enough of a slice of the pop culture world; they don't need Star Wars too.

Graphic and Immortiss like this.
  12. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Efron seems to have moved away from his Disney association over the past few years. As others pointed out already, Abrams is also great at casting. If he picks Efron for a role, he probably knows what he's doing.

Disney trying to wedge their tween marketing into the film would be forcing in Selena Gomez or the like.

13. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    To some extent, but Luke didn't know his father directly. It was a more of an idea than direct legacy to live up to. On top of that, what if the Skywalker doesn't want to live up to the legacy?

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    You mean someone like Cade Skywalker?

I was kinda with Cade on that topic. Just because your name is Skywalker doesn't mean you have to become space Jesus like your ancestors before you. Even a Skywalker should be free to chose his life.

15. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Yep, that is what I am getting at. Especially if 7-9 is the end of the Skywalker saga. It works on themes we know, but provides us a different angle.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  16. HegoDamask

HegoDamask Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2013
    Ryan Gosling as Luke's son I can see pretty well... they look similar and Gosling is, eh a decent enough actor. I think Leonardo D'Caprio would have worked rather well as Luke's son. However he apparently pulled out. I think Gosling is worth giving a chance.

Efron... well I don't quite know what to think. I've not seen him in any films, because generally the ones he is in I avoid like the plague...Disney Channel *SHUDDERS*. Knowing his previous roster of films it seems out of character that he is being cast in this film. I will be have to see if/who he is cast as to form an opinion.

17. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Now remember I told you guys we were going to get rumors like these. Especially at least one "Disney channel actor" rumor. Also I guarantee you we will get at least one "This star trek actor is in talks" rumor. We dont have a official confirmation or denial yet so lets all not freak out. But just think...this is just a taste of what is going to happen soon when we get into full-blown "Casting rumor phase". Lets just PRAY its not like the GOTG casting craze where its tons and tons of "These actors are in the running for a role" and that list just keeps getting worse and worse till they eventually cast somebody who was never mentioned. I HATE casting madness. Here's hoping the SW7 casting is more sane and less "Millions of rumors".

HegoDamask likes this.
  18. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, I would say that this is a likely or 'good bet' scenario. Ahsoka may be instructive for female protagonists in the ST.

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I see. Yes, it is possible. But I hope that if they use that angle they have a better explanation why a Skywalker has to be the hero (maybe a special talent only the protagonist has and that would win the day).

20. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Well, my point was he doesn't have to be the central hero. Obviously, the character would be a main protagonist. But he doesn't have to be THE hero.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. HegoDamask

HegoDamask Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2013
    To be fair they should keep Ashoka away from the ST. It will seem out of place, seeing as Yoda himself said that Luke would be the very last Jedi upon his death. It would just make the Jedi in the sequels seem cliche and ruin the concept of Luke having to rebuild the order from the ground up all on his own. Let Ashoka be that kind of character in Rebels then kill her off, to allow for proper continuity.

I also love the idea of having a reluctant Skywalker character. It would certainly give the story more depth.

22. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I'm sorry to say, fellow SW fans, George Lucas was drunk when he sold his empire to Disney. It was hard after the prequels, ya know? Brings a man down. Then, one sip of Jack Daniels and BOOM. The rest is history. Here comes: High School Deathstar; The Lion Sith; Finding Yoda etc. :confused:

Nah, dude knew exactly what he was doing.

23. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    That's why I would like to see a great lead Female Protagonist. It might help to explain, mythologically, this hero status. A late teen female (there are two) fits the OT formula, getting back to the spirit of SW as Kasdan mentioned. A late teen can grow into the hero for a new generation of SW fans. A 30 something Skywalker also does a nice job of connecting to an older viewer with a protagonist they can identify with. Hey, there can be something for every demographic.

24. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I only meant that her character may provide some insight in to the new female protagonists in the ST.

25. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Is it bad that for some reason I see Gosling more as some emotionless, psychopathic bounty hunter or sith apprentice than a Skywalker? IDK...I've just seen a lot of movies where he plays emotionless bad ass very well