main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That seems surprisingly common.

2. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I was 6 years old when "The Ewok Adventure: Caravan of Courage" aired on TV. I thought Mace was Luke and I got really angry that he was suddenly so stupid.

3. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    ...and the Gorax gave me nightmares.

4. Ken Obi

Ken Obi Jedi Padawan

Jul 18, 2013
    I thought Anakin's force ghost at the end of ROTJ was Uncle Owen. For some reason I didn't catch on that Vader had been redeemed and that was Anakin had returned as a force ghost alongside Obi-Wan and Yoda, I just thought, "eh, that's Obi-Wan and Yoda, but whose that other guy?". I ended up coming to the conclusion that it was Uncle Owen. It was probably because we never see Sebastian Shaw's normal face at any other time.

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  5. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    I thought...
    * the face revealed inside Darth Vader's helmet that exploded in the cave on Dagabah was what Darth Vader really looked like.
    * Anakin and Obi Wan were only five years apart.
    * Yoda was Obi Wan's jedi master.
    * captains Needa and Piett were the same guy.
    * That Han and Indiana Jones couldn't possibly be the same person. (Because Han Solo and Indiana Jones are both real people, don't ya know?)
    * That my father was Darth Vader (Because he told me so :( )

6. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Not mine misconception, but back in 2005 after the screening of Episode III, a kid said: "Boy, I can't wait for the next one, ep IV is going to be great!", and his mom replied: "Ep IV was released way before you were even born".

Seagoat, Binder-lover, DL44Jo and 7 others like this.
  7. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    I thought Vader was a robot first time I saw him :) That's probably one of the most common misconceptions. Speaking of common,
    any idea if GL ever got it in his head to make the lightsaber a more common weapon as well, or was Ralph just embellishing here?

[​IMG]

kind of reminds me of this...

[​IMG]

In fact, one of the troopers is almost identical in both these pics....

Sarge, Shadow Trooper and pronker like this.
  8. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    Until the back of his head was shown in The Empire Strikes Back, I thought Darth Vader was a robot. I also thought the same of stormtroopers.

9. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    I probably watched Empire a dozen times before I realized they weren't the same guy.

10. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    If I recall, in the early drafts, lots of characters used sabers. They only later became 'restricted' to Force-users.

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  11. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    For years I though the lightsaber Luke uses in ROTJ was a spare one Obi-wan kept in his hut(same hilt and they even used the original prop for Obi-wans as lukes in some shots I have since found out). It was not until I was 13 and Saw the SE in the theater that I realized that Luke built a lightsaber, the part were Vader said "I see you have constructed a new lightsaber" on my VHS tape of ROTJ was garbeled at that part as it was old.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I recall when watching ROTS, I believed the "Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise" was referring to the dark, masked villain from KOTOR2, because at the time I didn't realize his name was "Darth Nihilus." I had never heard his name spoken in-game or visited a website or anything talking about him, and I didn't watch the credits or go to the "music" screen to see the song "Nihilus' Theme." It took me years to realize that Palpatine was talking about his Master, not an ancient Sith Lord. But the way he said "The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise" I always thought it was an ancient tale, which was only helped when he said "it's not something the Jedi would tell you" as if the Jedi knew about him well–when in fact, no Jedi even knew Plagueis was a Sith.

13. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    All the lines people misheard as kids are cute. Heck, I'm an adult and I still have no idea what Tarkin is saying immediately after Leia says "no, alderaan is peaceful, we have no weapons, you can't possibly---"

(And before anyone chimes in, yes I know what the script says and what he is really saying, but I never would have been able to figure it out without looking it up)

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  14. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    When I was a kid, I was certain that there was a live-action Clone Wars movie that took place between Attack of the Clones and the (then) upcoming Revenge of the Sith. I asked all my friends at school if they'd seen it, and the only thing that anyone would say was yes, he'd seen it, and Obi-Wan fought "a giant praying mantis." It took me a while, but I realized he was talking about the Acklay in AOTC. I was disappointed there was no live action movie.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm pretty sure this thread is OT-specific.

Although it's interesting to realize that we're reaching the point where one could legitimately post here about "misconceptions they had as a kid" for the PT.

DL44Jo and Darth Ridiculis like this.
  16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, several people have posted PT misconceptions, I think. So have I, and no one's called me on it before.

17. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    I remember thinking General Dodonna or one of the other old dudes on Yavin 4 were Leia's father. I think one of them even references Bail dying on Alderaan but somehow I always ignored that as a kid.

18. Sur-Gon Jinn

Sur-Gon Jinn Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2013
    "three marks and two tin"

thought Stormtroopers were robots and didn't understand how luke/han got into the shells.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of for now

19. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    The day i realized that there were living pilots in TIE Fighters may have been the first time i really thought about how violence hurts people and how 'bad guys' were still alive, how silly that sounds. As a child with pretty hippie-ish parents, it took a LOT of thinking to understand how Luke could kill and still be a hero. When people say that star wars is 'less smart' than other sci-fi, i always think of all the little philosophical things it introduced me to before anything else.

20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Not mine, but a friend's misconception.

He used to think that "Obiwan" and "Padawan" were some Jedi language meaning "master" and "apprentice" specifically, his reasoning being that they both end in wan :p

darth fluffy likes this.
  21. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    You actually weren't far off. Very astute observation for someone under 13 to notice that Luke's ROTJ saber is nearly identical to Kenobi's. Luke created his saber from schematics found in Kenobi's abandoned Tatooine home. Shadows of the Empire details this, but a good (almost) canon source is the ROTJ novelization.

Sorry, had to chime in. Move along... move along...

22. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Mr.K,

My grandfather was a amateur photographer(he one a good number of local awards from the county photography club), He continued his hobbie into his eighties and he like to use older equipment so I was around old style camera flashes,he even had a Graflex (the handle of the Luke/Anakin saber was originally made from the same type of model). Because of this and Liking SW I knewwhat I had a strong interest in how the props were made along with the in universe explanation of how they were put together.

Mr. K likes this.
  23. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    -"Lightsavers"
    -I thought that the hanger bay on Home One was actually the hanger inside the pyramid from ANH, the Rebels had simply figured out a way to launch the pyramid off of Yavin IV.
    -The elevators at the Endor base was actually a teleportation unit that teleported Luke, Vader, and the Stormtroopers directly to the elevator in the Emperor's Throne Room
    -The Death Star II was the destroyed shell of the first Death Star, and that the Empire was simply rebuilding on what sections hadn't been blown away
    -That the lightsabers were turned on and off by turning the top of the hilt
    -That Luke built his second lightsaber from the parts of Obi-Wan's.
    -Leia gave Wicket saltine crackers.

-The face in Vader's mask on Dagobah was an imperial officer sent there to kill Luke.
    -When Leia called Han a "scruffy lookin nerf herder", I thought she said 'nerve hurter'.

thebeanpole likes this.
  24. TheMDOSS1313

TheMDOSS1313 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2013
    I thought Yoda was a puppet in ESB.......oh, wait.

25. Gray_Jedi R

Gray_Jedi R Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2013
    Well, my first Star Wars movie was The Phantom Menace, in the cinema, when I was seven years old. I just loved it. Then I got in home, and my dad showed to me the old trilogy, that I saw several times the follow week.

But despite what people had told me, and the fact that Luke called Anakin Skywalker to Darth Vader repeatedly through the movies, I refused to believe that Vader and little Annie of Tatooine were the same person.

I insisted for years that they were two different people, from two different stories. Now I guess that was more self ilusion than a real misconception, but... there it is.

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.