main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    My full phrase was "mass audience safe sentimentality." Sure, the series has always aimed to pull in big crowds, but one of the reasons I like it so much is that Lucas has never really favored weepy sentiment delivered via sledgehammer in the manner I often perceive with other highly touted SF adventure names such as Peter Jackson, Abrams, even Spielberg to a degree. And yeah, I stand by the bro comment. Different strokes. Some can't stand Anakin as a whiny teenager, and I'm one who can't help but see way too much annoying frat boy in Abrams' Kirk.

FRAGWAGON and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What about "Anakin you broke my heart" and all the other melodramatic stuff in the PT?

TheStorm likes this.
  3. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya. It was full of melodramatic cheap sentiments/emotions all over the place. Kirk was not a "frat boy" he is a mixture of Bond/Indy. As well as just how Kirk always was.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Odd, I seem to remember watching a film in which the love interest dies of a broken heart

5. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    A little melodramatic, as you say, but in a manner that (imo) is earned as a tragic climax to a trilogy and delivered in a pretty concise yet effective manner. For me sledgehammer sentimentality refers to things like slow motion extreme close-ups and weepy birthing scenes witnessed by dear ol' dad as he pays the ultimate heroic price in going down with the ship three minutes after the film has begun.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Funny because I cared more about the characters in the beginning of the ST09 more so then anything in the PT. They earned my respect more then anything else. I felt no one earned anything during that melodrama.

Chewgumma and Darth_Pevra like this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    How about the big Noooo? Also "concise yet effective"? Or the hamfisted "I was your brother" monologue by Obi-Wan? Man, I could go on and on.

Dear ol' dad in Trek at least went down like a man. Can't say the same thing about Anakin Skywalker.

Fleab88, Chewgumma and TheStorm like this.
  8. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The only concern I have with Abrams is his ability to tell a tale, visually. The work I've seen from him has not yet convinced me that he's a real storyteller with the lens. ST kind of lent itself to JJ's style. It is a franchise based, first, on television and JJ has a good track record on TV. It was a good marriage and it makes sense.

SW on the other hand is a story told on film. I can criticize Lucas for many things, but I think the man knows how to tell a story. He hits all the relevant marks. I hope JJ really does a great job of directing the story for the audience. Finding great ways to help the story come out.

9. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    If I saw anything as effective as the "we were brothers" exchange in an Abrams film I'd be expecting Episode VII to be one of the best adventure films I've seen.

Graphic and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The brothers dialogue didn't work for me at all. It seemed more like OBW wanted to further hurt Anakin verbally, punish him for his deeds, rather then mercifully end him here and there. It made me think of OBW as a cruel, cruel man.

TheStorm likes this.
  11. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't believe that they are brothers, the prequels don't convince me of that at all. It's one of the more glaring faults of the films.

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    There was no love or friendship in AOTC, only disgust.

13. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Well I don't believe we've ever agreed on anything, so that's not a surprise. I thought it was one of the most emotionally effective portions of all six films, where McGregor displayed a living, breathing element of human frailty that I don't believe I ever got from Obi-Wan in the six films up until that point.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't see disgust at all. I see anger, misunderstanding and frustration which I think are completely normal emotions for brothers to experience with each other. I know I've experienced those feelings with my own brothers. I always get the feeling that they truly love each other and in ROTS that's only enhanced with respect and little more understanding between the two. Of course it all comes crashing down at the end and the immolation scene is the perfect climax to their relationship to me.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Wow! You mean some people liked the PT and some didn't? I AM SHOCKED!!!

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK guys, enough with the PT nitpicking... let's try to stay on topic. Thanks.

stormcloud8 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    So anyway, how about that JJ? :)

Darth Chiznuk and Immortiss like this.
  18. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Just the nitpicking? But it's okay to praise them?

I'm just wondering because one thing we have been doing is relevant to the topic. People are going to reflect back one way or another on the PT and we've been comparing it to JJ and his works as well. I will stop if it's just forbidden at all to talk about it (especially the negative) But I felt it was on topic of what we want/don't want out of the ST. I think it's going to be natural for lots of OT/PT discussion to be brought in. Just from my point of view I guess. But since I've been gone a long time, I may not know how it operates around here in these new times.

19. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002

He's a lucky man. That's for sure. Living out every fans dream.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree.

21. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    But like most "fans" his vision of what Star Wars should/will be will vary drastically from every other fan. Even though I'd be lying if I said "I don't want to control the fate of Star Wars and make it the I want it", I still don't envy the man. He's damned if he does and damned if he don't. He'll be praised by his fans and anyone that likes his style. But he'll be hated by all the people that feel "let down" by his vision of Star Wars. For goodness sake it happened to Lucas, and he was the creator. He has his own set of haters and defenders.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There are things I really like about him and other things I don't. For the most part I like the way he works with actors (especially younger ones because Super 8 is wonderful) and I think he does action quite well. However, I think the pace of his movies is sometimes way too fast and he doesn't really let the audience settle into a scene before boom we're off to something else. Something I love about Star Wars is no matter how many times I watch them I always see something new I didn't notice before (whether it's some kind of symbolism I notice with the visuals or just something interesting in the background) and I worry if JJ can accomplish that. All six SW films really let you drink in all the things going on around the scene and it makes for a more interesting universe IMO. I worry if JJ will allow the camera to sit still for a few moments to allow for such things to happen. Overall, I think he could do good for SW and I'm definitely going to give him a shot and try to stay positive until I see the film.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    These are exactly my concerns, as well. And, I agree with everything else you said, especially about Super 8.

24. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002

I felt that Super 8 showed that he can slow it down and let you soak in a scene. Trek was suppose to be high adrenaline, that's what they were going for. I think JJ is smart, he knows this. He's already said it's going to be very different from what he did with Trek. He knows these things we notice as well, he's an expert film maker. So I'm positive he is aware he can't do everything the same. But Super 8 really showed that he can slow down a scene, and let it soak.

Darth_Pevra and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  25. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I wonder who is going to make all the decisions that Lucas did? Who is going to decide the design of the set pieces, the monsters, the vehicles and various characters George invented and then hired someone to create? Who will decide the design of the cityscapes, various landscapes of planets and the architecture of the New Republic? Who will fill that role? Is George going to have any impact as creative consultant? I know the treatments and the script will help to answer some of those questions, but who will make all the millions of minor detailed decisions? Will Abrams, as the director, make any of these decisions? How about Kennedy as Executive Producer, or any of the brass at Disney? Are they going to demand the now proverbial, the Wookie needs pants? My assumption is that it will be a creative discussion between Kennedy and Abrams. Toes may get stepped on. Ouch!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.