main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Replacing Ford as Jones? Would it be a sin?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by WhiskeyGold, Jul 25, 2013.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Would Indiana Jones fans support a new actor has Jones? Maybe if it takes place before Temple of Doom and after the Young Indiana Jones timeline? At first I thought, no way but maybe with Disney owning IJ now, we can see it like a James Bond role (and that is how it started out). Replacing him every few years and jumping around a timeline. I think I could support that idea. I have given up my hopes of a good weekly Indiana Jones cartoon (cant believe they never even tried that).

J7Luke likes this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm not sure the Bond analogy really works with Indiana Jones...Connery is still (IMO, anyway) who people think of when they think of James Bond, and he was only Bond for less than a decade forty years ago. Ford, OTOH, has been Indiana for thirty years-even when it's not a film, it's his likeness being used. They're very closely tied together in a way very few actors and characters are, IMO.

I wouldn't mind a pre-Doom Indy film (I think we're still missing how he got from being an pretty idealistic kid at the start of Last Crusade to being pretty ruthless and borderline greedy in Doom), I'm just not sure how people would take somebody besides Ford being Indy.

J7Luke likes this.
  3. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    It would take an extraordinary story and an extraordinary actor to pull this off.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That's what the Young Indiana Jones TV show was.

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Indy dies when Ford does.

There's always space in the future for Transformers boy to star in "The Adventures of Henry Jones III" but for now... no. Ford earned that fedora!

Sleepy76, J7Luke and Yanksfan like this.
  6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Don't believe it ever got as grimdark as Doom did, though.

7. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Indeed. It'd have to be like Chris Pine and his performance as Kirk in the two recent Star Trek films for it to work, IMO.

For as popular as he is as Han Solo, I think it'd probably be fair to say Harrison Ford is even more associated by the general public as Indiana Jones. It's debatable, but Han was a part of a bigger picture that made up the beloved cast of the OT, alongside Luke, Leia, Chewy, C-3PO, R2-D2, Darth Vader, Lando, the Emperor, Obi-Wan and Yoda (and others). On the other hand, Indiana Jones is the focal point of his series.

8. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I would have a hard time with this. I was in favor of a Trek reboot, but by then I had already become used to the idea of Trek as a franchise, multiple series and casts and so forth. Trek was bigger than any one cast.

Ford is Indiana Jones

Sleepy76, J7Luke and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  9. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    As an Indy fan myself: No, I would hate to see another actor as Indiana Jones.
    There's the Young INdy tv series, but that is another thing.

J7Luke likes this.
  10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Phoenix had me convinced, although obviously that was dream casting that can't be replicated. My fear would be something like the latest Trek films, where oftentimes I feel like I'm seeing competent impressions or semi-amusing caricatures more so than new, fully fleshed out performances of preexisting characters. I'd say just give Ford one final starring turn as Indy (no kid, wife, dad, or brother needed), and then put the series away for good.

11. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    I think you could pull off two films that happen pre-Doom and post-Young Indy. It would require several things:

1) A younger actor that can play a convincing Indiana Jones with a passable likeness to Ford. Probably no older than late twenties to early thirties.
    2) Historically driven narratives in the vein of the best writing within the franchise. Make the stories about the time and place that shaped Indy, not about Indy.
    3) A director and producer team that tried not simply to emulate the work that has been done, but craft a story that explains what came before.

In the eyes of Disney, Indiana Jones is a franchise much bigger than any single actor. If they did this tastefully and with respect for the history, fans, and themes - there's potential here. Anyone who says they won't explore it probably also said they'd never do another Star Wars movie - so when in doubt, follow the box office potential.

J7Luke and YourGoulden like this.
  12. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones. 'Nuff said.

Sleepy76, J7Luke, TK327 and 5 others like this.
  13. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I guess at the end of the day, all that really matters is how the movie is. If its a great movie, it works

14. Darth_Chang

Darth_Chang Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2013
    Everything wrong with indiana jones 5 in 5 minutes or less spoilers duh this is not harrison ford DING!

15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Time for Tom Selleck to step up and take back the role he was first choice for.

Seemed to work for Pierce Brosnan as James Bond, didn't it?

(Oh, all right - Tom Selleck was first choice for Indy, but was unable to play the role, due to commitments to Magnum P.I. Similarly, Pierce Brosnan was first choice to play James Bond in The Living Daylights, but had to pass, due to contractual obligations to Remington Steele - but would eventually take the role in Goldeneye. I seem to recall that Roger Moore might also have had to do so in the 1960s - probably for OHMSS - because he was working on The Saint)

So yeah, Magnum as Indy, complete with the mo, short-shorts, Ferrari and all. Write in a Higgins-type role, drag John Hillerman out of retirement and there will be too many types of awesome going on to count.

darth ladnar likes this.
  16. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Well . . . I got used to Sean Patrick Flannery as Indy, 20 years ago. I guess he can do it again. How old is he now? 48?

17. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    Here's a shot of Flannery from August 2013...

[​IMG]

I'd find it too hard to link him to a modern Indiana Jones role now.

18. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    hed be my matt murdock choice or guy gardner choice if a dd or gl movie was remade

19. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Here's the problem with fans:

Fans: We love Indiana Jones! We want more!

Me: Cool - then who's up for Harrison Ford coming back as Indy again?

Fans: No! He sucks now because he got old! How dare he mess up playing Indiana Jones by doing that?

Me: Okay, how about a young actor as Indy?

Fans: No! Only Harrison Ford should ever be Indy!

Me: So, like, what do you want to do then? Get Ford and digitally de-age him?

Fans: No! It sucked when they did that to Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy!

Me: So... what do you want?

Fans: We just want everything to be exactly like it was in 1981 forever! And if it isn't, we're going to complain loudly on the internet!

Me: Ugh.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, fans are the worst thing that could happen to any franchise.

21. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    Ben Affleck can do it

mes520 likes this.
  22. BOBA-FETT-82

BOBA-FETT-82 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2002
    The closest Ford double i've ever seen is Nathan Fillion. He has that charisma and would be able to pull off either Indy or Han. Too bad he's in his 40's now.

Sleepy76 and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  23. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Why does the actor have to be a Harrison 'clone'....if the script is well put together with an interesting plot and locations I think Indy could become like Bond and replace actors every now and then. Harrison did and still does a great job at playing Indy, main word being 'playing' because it's a role not real life.

Fan's memories are only as long as how good the film is....if Indy 5 is a great movie with another actor they'll be screaming for more and if not they'll be screaming for heads!

I can't write off a film before it's even been made.

24. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    How about rebooting the entire series for the now. How about a relative of Indy like a pair of fraternal twins who are great grand kids of Indiana and after end up with similar adventures. They are trying to finish their final work to graduate college and get their doctorate. A guy who is the brawn of the outfit and can fight when necessary but a woman who is smart and sassy. Who just happens to be pretty good at kick boxing. They could share the whip in different adventures. The guy could be Henry the 4th and the woman could be Indiana Marion Jones.

25. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I would not support replacing Ford, he is an excellent actor. I probably wouldn't like the new move if they replaced him. It would be like replacing Oz as Yoda