main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 9, 2011
    But the actors playing those characters average 60+ years old. They will have to leave a pretty substantial gap in the timeline. Are they just going to leave most of that unexplained and mysterious in your opinion? I think we'll see one or more "late teens" children/grandchildren of the original 3 for sure, it's just up in the air to me if they will be called Ben/Allana or something else. But we obviously won't see recent mother Carrie Fisher as that would be beyond believable.

2. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    That leaves room for Disney to make money from new books, tv series, comics, and merchandise, or in the opening crawl,
    it could just say that luke has established a Jedi order, and Leia is a Jedi, and she, and Han have had a family, and after thirty years of peace, a new threat has arrived. Don't forget that we now have the cartoon rebels to fill in the gap between three, and four, there's no reason, why after the ST is done, that they won't have a cartoon between 6, and 7. remember Lucasfilm has new owners, and they want to make money from new books, and merchandise.
    They didn't own Lucasfilm during the EUs run, as a result they're unfamiliar with it, they might take bits, and pieces, to see if they can make money from them, but Movies and TV are under no obligation to use the comics, books, or video games. They were just ways to keep Star Wars alive between movies, after all the original trilogy, didn't use anything from splinter of the mind's eye, the Han Solo trilogy, or the Marvel comics.

3. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    Agreed, but I have to assume they'll go forward in time so that the stars they establish in the new movie can continue to shine. That's ignoring any retro "1 off" movies they chose to do such as Yoda, Boba Fett, etc that would just be stand alone and not connected to the new plot. I'm thinking more like how they are handling the avengers, but instead of starting with standalones, they are going for the major movie first to establish the characters and branch out. Like X-men did.

I don't think they'll be reaching back in nostalgia much at all. I'm anticipating the big 3 having an early presence in the first movie but definitely handing the reigns to new characters (who may be named Ben, Allana, maybe even Vestara) that will go forward into the future to make stand alone movies, novels, shows, etc.

That's why I think it would be actually simple and prudent to just keep the backstory as is and make residual income off of it while also having all sorts of new shows.

4. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    And if at some point into the new process they decide to take a sledgehammer to the EU based on something new they want to do, that would be the appropriate time to do so. No need to cut into their back catalog's profitability until it's needed. I just don't see Movie 7 as being that time, again based largely on knowing the actors are coming back. That is driving this whole train of thought.

5. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    that depends if George Lucas put them in the treatment, Arndt is working with characters George Lucas created, and he considers the EU, to be an AU to his movies. JJ Abrams, and kathy kennedy go to him for movie advice not Pablo Hidalgo, Disney is not treating Lucasfilm like marvel
    Lucasfilm is not marvel, it has different continuity rules then marvel, and different film rules then marvel.
    ultimately the ST will be based on George lucas vision of the post ROTJ story. We;ve been told it;s a 100 percent original story, and to forget everything we thought we knew about what happened to Luke Skywalker, Laurence Kasdan who is supervising the writing for the sT, and the Spin offs, said they are not looking at EU, and they are starting fresh. Their only reference is the previous six movies, and the treatments.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd bet 30 years post ROTJ is pretty much where it's going to line up, (but I HIGHLY doubt there will be an exact timeframe estimate in the film) mostly because 2015 is 32 years after the release of "Jedi" so, since people seem to like round numbers, 30 is its. Let's say the Solo kid is the "early 20s" character in the casting call, that would make that Han & Leia had the kid, at most, 10 years after ROTJ. Works fine for me!

Krueger likes this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's my two cents:

Although I do believe that the EU can continue to exist, I don't believe that the "everything published is canon and should be taken 100% seriously, and there's only one universe" policy is sustainable.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "That's Not True! That's Impossible"!!!

[​IMG]

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    You're fulfilling your destiny, Chorus. Become my new apprentice. Learn to use the EU-overrides-all side of The Force.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  10. Darth Metatron

Darth Metatron Jedi Padawan

Feb 5, 2013
    Chorus, I think that is my favorite thing I've ever seen posted here in the months I've been lurking and hitting the archives.

Very, very well played good sir.^:)^

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Basher: It seems in your anger, you killed the EU.

Chorus: NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Zac Effron as Darth Caedus! Whooo!

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  14. Don't grab the glowy end

Don't grab the glowy end Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2013
    I agree with the general sentiment here that the EU is probably out the window.

That being said: I think there's a few details in that casting call that might actually provide support the EU being kept. Specifically, that there's no older female character listed. If Luke Skywalker has a child in the sequel trilogy, wouldn't the child's mother be a fairly major character? If she's not, isn't the idea that they're following the EU canon a fairly simple explanation?

I do think a lot of people here are getting lost in the details of the EU and forgetting how much of a blank slate Allana and, honestly, even Ben are. I don't see a strong reason why they couldn't have said "You guys have freedom to write your own original story, just have your main characters be offspring of the old characters named Allana and Ben. You don't need to worry about anything else." There's too much angst here about having to explain the EU or the skipped Solo generation in the new films: that wouldn't need to happen. And having a history that isn't fully explained would fit right into the spirit of Star Wars. It is, after all, a film series which started out by numbering its first three episodes 4, 5, and 6.

Again, I do think the EU being done is a pretty likely scenario. But people are underestimating how easy it would be to have both "writers get near 100% freedom to write their own story and make their own movie" and "keep the EU canon for those fans who have read it." The casting call looks pretty consistent to me with a new "Big 3" of Allana, Ben, and a love interest for Allana, with a slew of new characters and not being bogged down by feeling the need to include Jacen or Anakin or Mara or whoever.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "Luke doesn't get married."
    - George Lucas

TheCIS and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  16. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Many of us used to think like you do, but eventually you'll learn to let go, of the EU Chewie being their knocks out NJO onward, it being 25 to 30 years later removes Ben, and Allana. They're ignoring the Zahn books, which removes all those characters, and concepts. The stories are based on George Lucas treatments, and he's stated that the EU, is not his vision of what happens after ROTJ. The ST, is based on his vision, not the EU authors.
    the film makers are consulting George Lucas not Pablo Hidalgo.

Just accept the EU, as stories to be enjoyed. Canon stopped being important when Disney bought Lucasfilm, and the ST treatments.

TheStorm and darklordoftech like this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If TTT doesn't get acknowledged, nothing does.

18. Don't grab the glowy end

Don't grab the glowy end Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2013
    Well, as you probably know, the first part of that quote from Lucas is "There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX."

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The rest of the sentence just said no resurrected Vader and no cloned Palpatine.

20. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Leeland Chee tweeted that on Saturday he's gonna talk about the Holocron. Do you guys think we'll get all our answers then?

21. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    It will probably be a retrospective, and he'll discuss how flexible it is.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Good catch. That makes me wonder if they'll give us some names which then might require Leeland Chee to explain what's going to happen with the EU characters. Gosh I'm excited! :D

23. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    You know, this will be the biggest speech of his career.

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I would enjoy that as well. The development of the EU and the Holocron is an interesting story in and of itself.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    *Chee walks out*

"This is the Holocron. It is my life's work."

*Pauses. Looks at it forlornly. Smashes it to pieces.*

"YOU DO WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT, ABRAMS! I QUIT!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.