main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    *Sith spirits emerge from it.*

Vthuil and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Don't grab the glowy end

Don't grab the glowy end Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2013
    Dude, you're playing with semantics. About 5-10 seconds before Lucas said "Luke doesn't get married" he says "There will definitely be no episodes 7-9."

Listen, I agree that the EU is probably gone. But it's not nail-in-the-coffin gone quite yet.

werpudel likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    *possess Abrams, Arndt, Lucas, Kennedy, & Bob Iger. They all hunker down for a weekend to re-write at an isolated cabin to write a 100% completely EU compatible Ep. 7 script, sending all of the pre-production spinning off into chaos / bringing about the end of existence*

5. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    He'd certainly nail the whining b**** act down.

JackG likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Speaking of which, I always see "KK" but what about BI and MA?

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Maybe Zac Efron should play the pregnant Mara Jade.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 9, 2011
    "George Lucas no longer owns Star Wars"
    4 Billion Disney Dollars

Anything George said prior to 2013 is irrelevant.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It's not like Luke being married is going to make Disney money.

10. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    Mark Hammil is 61 years old. I'm pretty sure the female characters they are making money off of will be quite a bit younger. We've read that Mark himself won't even be in the movie very long, what makes you think they are going to shoehorn in a random extra just so that he's married on screen?

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I said it's not like Luke being married would make Disney money.

12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    The ST is based on George Lucas written treatments, he is the one being consulted by the film makers, the SEwuel Trilogy is based on his vision, Disney wanted the treatments written by George Lucas, the books, comics, and video games are the least valuable part of Lucasfilm.
    95 percent of Lucasfilm's earnings come from other studios using ILM, then there are DVD sales of movies such as the first six films, the Clone Wars TV series, The Indiana Jones collections, DVD sales of films such as Labyrinth, Willow, Red Tails, and other movies. next is Toys, for every book that has been sold, Lucasfilm has sold over 1000 toys based on it's movies. then their are the misc items, like home goods, costumes, posters.
    In the toys there are action figures, play sets, Lego's, prop replicas, clothes

Since the current incarnation of the EU with HTTE, the books, and comics have only earned 1.9 billion dollars, in the same time period
    DVD's have earned 12 billion, toys 9 billion.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    There we go: Luke never got married.

14. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    can you post a link about what the treatments are about? I tried very hard to figure out where you're getting that from. I'm just not seeing where you're getting such clear and incontrovertible evidence. Everything I read is all over the place and doesn't lead the reader in a clear direction at all, other than forward in time.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Who are you responding to? If me, I was referring to the casting call.

16. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    darklordoftech likes this.
  17. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008

"
    Don't believe this Jaina and Jacen hogwash. At all.

That's all he says. The only rumor he is dispelling is that it will be a direct adaptation of a novel or that it will feature Jaina and Jacen. He literally says nothing about the EU as a whole.

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, the linked article is a rebuttal of a supposed casting call - which was already obviously fake if you know anything about showbiz - that claimed the ST would be an adaptation of Legacy of the Force. The real reason opinions are swinging to the EU definitely being erased is that the actual leaked casting call does not match up well at all with any of the likely "next generation protagonists" from the EU (the female roles being about a decade younger than any of the males sinks the Solo twins, for instance). But that's still all just inference.

19. ShabbaTheHutt

ShabbaTheHutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    Looking at the casdting call details, and considering that I fully expect the new movies to begin between 50-55 ABY, my frst thoughts were...

Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit. - ALLANA SOLO?
    Young twenty-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking
    A late twentysomething male, fit, handsome and confident. - BEN SKYWALKER?
    Seventy-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn’ t need to be particularly fit.
    A second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and fit.
    Forty something male, fit, military type. - JAGGED FEL?
    Thirtysomething male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit. - JACEN/DARTH CAEDUS' FORCE GHOST?

20. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    This is also my prediction, noting that I added Vestara Khai. Several of these roles will be antagonists and a love interest/antagonist actually sounds like a great idea to me. Keep in mind a casting of a late twenties male can be playing an age as young as high school. Guys nearly 30 play high school characters all the time, wheras the girls are usually closer in age. Plus, I'm not saying they'll hold exactly to the EU at all, just approximate age range.

As to New Dawn's debunk, that's a debunk of something very few serious fans ever believed. I've actually never seen a well written explanation of why Jacen Solo or Legacy should be the focus of the new movies. It makes almost no sense because we've all read they aren't directly translating any existing books. But continuing into the future with a handful of the key EU characters does make sense as it provides backstory without really painting them into any corners because the potential characters above really are wide open to new stories.

21. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

That would mean Luke and Leia would have been about 10 years old during the Battle of Yavin...

Reaching guys... really reaching...

22. ugaaccountant

Apr 9, 2011
    No, that would imply Mark and Carrie look to be 68 to 73 now. Not as big a stretch as your implication.

23. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    So, that would put Han around 78 to 83? o_O

Seriously, I know I've said this before, but I think the ST would be a pretty boring thing if it's simply a rehash of the same tired and unoriginal characters from the novels. Now, I wouldn't be opposed to name dropping or a nod here or there, but not an entire set of films based on these characters. I'd rather the writers, producers, etc. have their own creative freedom to create new characters and populate this galaxy how they see fit in order to tell a compelling story.

24. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Actually, it WOULD make them money, particularly if the marriage resulted in a child, which could be among the 5 youngest characters on the Casting Call.

25. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    After nine though, the cycle will be closed, and they won't need Skywalkers anymore.

Disney will just make cartoons, and spin off movies to fill in the gaps.

After all I doubt they'll be using George Lucas drafts for 10 to 12, and I don't think he'll write new ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.