main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002

Fair enough. I felt at first it was more of the audience it was trying to adhere to. But regardless that was part of Kirk's character and I thought they did well with it. Especially since I think JJ cast Pine very well, he has lots of Charisma. Kinda an Indy type but younger.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Exactly, that's all it was. It was as much about where the thread was headed as it was anything else, and it was just a general, friendly reminder. People don't need to overthink this or blow it out of proportion.

Darth Chiznuk and Immortiss like this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Well, we are on the same page here. The last line of my post was sarcasm (as I hoped to show with the smiley). I do think there is more depth and subtlety in his movies than some give him credit for. I can't understand for instance why he is compared to Michael Bay.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    He's compared to Michael Bay because of Orci & Kurtzman. They were the writers on the first two Bayformers movies, as well as all of JJ's movies except Super 8. So, JJ gets a lot of flack for their bad writing.

5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Transformers was written intentionally dumb as it was trash (And I like me some trash sometimes too. Kung Fu Hustle anyone?). I don't view it as proof that Orci and Kurtzman are horrible writers.

6. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I view JJ Abrams as the nerdier version of Michael Bay. Both understand how to visually shoot a film. Both also have issues with basic impulse control as to what goes in their film. Michael Bay throws in overt military cheesecake shots and terrible crude humor. JJ Abrams throws in blatant references which can take you out of the film (the Khan scene from STID and Slusho come to mind). Mind you, Michael Bay's lack of self control completely destroys a film, whereas JJ Abrams doesn't with his references. The comparison still applies, though.

(And yes, I realize the Khan sequence in STID could have been the writers fault. I am inclined to believe that even if JJ wasn't the one who had the idea for that sequence, he still allowed it to go through. The same could be said about Michael Bay and everything in a Transformers film. They are still at fault.)

7. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002

Yes itd was the writers. JJ admitted he was no fan of Trek, and knew nothing. Bob and Alex were the ones that were the huge fans throwing out references. The difference still about Bay/JJ is that regardless of the homages and blantant references, STID was still good. Bay movies are not. And actually JJ may have not wanted it or cared about Khan in a frame of reference since he was not a fan, that and I'm sure Paramount wanted it more so.

8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't remember tons of references in the ALIAS or Fringe pilots. Haven't seen Super 8 yet, though.

9. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Super 8 has subtle references, and is an homage to Spielberg films of the late 70's/early 80's but there is not a lot of "blatant" references in it. Lost had a few Star Wars references, but a lot of subtle ones too. Hell Sawyer was completely based off a Han Solo type character.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Watched Super 8 last night. The kids are Spielberg. The Alien is Ridley Scott. Not bad, but definitely not either of the two. I see what people are talking about with the lens flare (if that's the blue streaks running in and out of the film).

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  11. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    Super 8 was itself a reference. Like, literally the entire film.

FRAGWAGON and Immortiss like this.
  12. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Nah, it was more of an homage, just as Star Wars is to Buck Rogers and the serials of old.

13. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    It referenced Spielberg personally, making movies as a kid, and professionally, the average small town, everyone knows these kids characters. The alien was anything but benign, unlike ET and the aliens in Close Encounters. These are nods to movies and filmmakers that influenced him and represents the kinds of movies Abrams wouldn't mind making. It's shrewd, really. Ingratiate yourself with the biggest mogul in the film industry. Maybe the seed will bear fruit later. Like a recommendation to make a Star Wars sequel. Nice!

14. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    Okay, I'll give you that. But other things, like Slusho in ST09 and this 'Yub Nub' reference JJ promised Conan he'd put in Star Wars are references he throws in, with the latter one being completely random. I'm not saying that JJ is a bad director or that his references affect the film - just that he can't really control himself when throwing them in.

15. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Yes, that's indeed lens flare and I hope he keeps it out of SW...

Immortiss likes this.
  16. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002

I think when it comes to Star Wars though (the project he always wanted to do) he will keep the subtle. Because everything he referenced a lot in other films was Star Wars. But of course a few references to older films can be done well, and I am not against it. There can be connections to the older stories ect.

17. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    I hope so, but he also gave Conan a reference in Star Wars practically on a whim.

18. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002

? If I'm not mistaken JJ has not made a Star Wars film yet.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We'll have to wait to see the film obviously but I'm pretty sure he was just making a joke. He didn't seem serious about it at all to me.

Chewgumma likes this.
  20. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think JJ as a fan will honor the look of Star Wars. I don't think we'll see a lot of lens flares. I think he'll make a Star Wars movie. I like the choice, and I'm optimistic.

21. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Agreed. He's not putting Conan in there, it was a joke.

22. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, I think he's a student of these films. He will do a nice job making it look like Star Wars. I'm hoping he can tell a story through the lens like other SW movies. Can he be creative and visually tell the story to the audience. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Graphic likes this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Um... what ARE you talking about?
    The Yub Nub thing is obviously a joke. Sure, he likes to put things like Slusho in his projects - but so do many directors. I'm certain JJ knows why, where and when to have a little nod to something in his movies. I doubt he is out of control ;)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    Did you guys actually see the bit with JJ? That certainly wasn't played like it was a joke.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes. I watch Conan every night and it seemed very much like a joke to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.