main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT I have not watched the new Star Wars Blu-Rays.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by UK Sullustian, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    Usually I keep my mouth shut when I see people make replies that they dont like Star Wars anymore because of George Lucas making changes or whatever. I'm like really? You're gonna get in a hissy fit just because he wants to make slight changes in his movies that he made back in the day where he didnt have the chance to keep the lost footage in New Hope such as Biggs. I am one of the few casual huge fans of Star Wars that keep hearing about old cut footage like that and want to see old footage like that and to see why they had to be cut out of the movies.

I still dont have the Blue Rays of the Original Trilogy but I keep planning on buy the Blue Ray set since it has the bunch of behind the scenes stuff including the lost cut footage which I am more interested in from the Blue Ray set. I already have the 2004 DVD set so I dont need to watch the movies all over again since I've seen them a gazillion times ever since I was a little kid in the early 1980s.

I dont care who shot first. I dont care if the original Empire Strikes Back Emperor Palpatine was an old woman with moneky eyes. I dont care if ROTJ Palpatine had some screwy screen effect that made it look like he had a "slug" crawling around on his hood. I don't care. I love the movies. That's it.

2. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Wow. Reaction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...e-Lucas-retires-from-making-blockbusters.html

Quote:
    Since 1997, LucasFilm has released edition after edition of Star Wars re-edits, prequel films, and a blitz of licensed merchandise. The fanboys couldn’t get enough, but at the same time complained to no end, particularly about changes Lucas made with the original trilogy, such as blinking Ewoks or making Greedo shoot first. When asked about the possibility of any new Star Wars films, Lucas responded bluntly, “Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are.”

These are not the words of a man happy with his creation.

http://www.techhive.com/article/248361/george_lucas_retires_from_star_wars.html
    UKS

3. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Read "Skywak
    Read "Skywalking" and come back. Read "George Lucas: A Biography" and come back.

UKS

4. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Apparently, Lucas does.......

Jarren_Lee-Saber and sinkie like this.
  5. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Nonsense. Absolute nonsense. You're simply putting your own spin on what Lucas actually said, which was that he was unhappy with the reaction to his creation not the creation itself.

And with all the terrible, terrible things some idiotic hatemongers have said about the man, who can blame him?

Jarren_Lee-Saber, kainee and Alexrd like this.
  6. negative1

negative1 Jedi Knight

Oct 17, 2012
    for anyone that wants to watch star wars in HD,
    or at least the SE versions before the blurays came out.

just get the HDTV versions, that way you don't get the
    bluray changes, but it's still high definition. there are
    720p and 1080p versions that were broadcast.

later

7. runacmoc

runacmoc Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2012
    I used to visit these threads back when EP 3 came out, closure for me was back then but with news of the new movies I have revisited here, knowing this was a very good source for discussion. Anyways, I opted not to buy the blu rays because I had the DVD box that was released not that long ago so I felt it was overkill. To date I haven't even considered buying them as I have a VHS set and a DVD set as well.

However, I was digging around today and I found out that there were new deleted scenes! I was wondering if anyone can help me out to find these. PM me or email me.

thanks.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and JediWheelz like this.
  8. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    They look great but yeah the new tinkering is just plain old crap

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Lucas just didn't have the technology to do Biggs in the 1970s. Today we have newfangled machines and much more powerful Biggs-making capabilities.

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
  11. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    I just bought the Complete Saga on Blu-Ray recently. So far, I've only watched the deleted scenes from the original trilogy, and the Episode IV film. What disappoints me is that, with what I've seen so far, is scenes that should have been perfected for Blu-Ray, but for some reason were not.

The best example is the scene in Episode IV, when Luke is training on the Millenium Falcon using that hovering remote. His lightsaber should be blue; instead, it is still white, as it was all those years ago when the film was in theaters. I don't understand how this could be overlooked, especially when the film looks crisp otherwise.

It just makes me think that there will be yet another box set with further restoration done to selected scenes. I'm happy that I bought my box set on eBay for much less than the suggested $89.99, but really, someone should pay attention to things like this that stick out like a sore thumb.

12. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Haven't bought them either.

13. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Isn't the new "Nooo" in ROTJ meant to better mirror the moment in ROTS when he decides to save Palpatine? The way the characters are positioned is similar, and we know Lucas likes these things to "rhyme". On both occassions Anakin faces a dilemma and his decision will have huge significance. On both occassions he uses the same expression to indicate his choices. I think it almost justifes the change. It doesn't ruin anything. Yes, I think it could maybe have been executed better. But there's no reason to hate it if you never got used to it any other way. It's different to adding the scream to ESB. This change doesn't contradict the character's motivations. At the end of the day it's merely a debate about perspective.

A little ironic too how people are so boisterously complainng about it now making Vader sound immature or whiny to the point the won't even watch the blu-rays. Remind me which character so defiantly said "I don't want things to change!" ;)

14. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999

I couldn't disagree more.

The fact that scenes from the clearly inferior prequels "mirror" scenes from the trilogy, doesn't mean it's cool for Lucas to force details into scenes that have been part of modern cinema and popular culture for decades. It's not that certain (probably the majority) of fans "don't want things to change", is that things don't need to be changed. I saw Return of the Jedi 21 years ago at age six and since that, Star Wars became part of my life, my memories, my sense of humor, it's there all the time and EVERYBODY LOVES IT. Now, why should I care that we had a scene in a new movie were Vader yells Noooooo like a crazy person? What the ***** does that have to do with the movie I grew up with?

Of course one can make a rational argument about how it rhymes and how it "makes sense". It even sounds logical, like a programmed robot.

New movie --> Character does "A" in new movie --> Insert "A" into same character in old movie.

"It's so logical, I can't believe why people complain!"

Well, believe it. You know why? Because films aren't logical. Specially these bunch. You really want to talk logic and sense about a movie with robots, the force, kissing brothers, death stars and walking carpets?

Movies are about the ride, about the thrills, about emotion.Tampering with something that shook the whole world, and continues to shake it more than thirty years after the face is just not cool. It's like going insane with photoshop through a family album from the 80s.

TX-20, Darth_Pevra and CT-867-5309 like this.
  15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Simple, R2 can walk through walls, rocks, anything you name it ;)

QsAssistant likes this.
  16. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I like it how the Blu-Ray set is called "The Complete Saga", only now, it isn't anymore.

Pretty much a foregone conclusion that there will be a 9-movie BR set in our futures.

17. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I almost went out and bought the Blu-Ray version today. I couldn't do it because I just have this feeling, with the new trilogy coming out, that we will be getting something with the saga, I just don't know what.

18. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I just recently got a blu-ray player and a larger TV and so just now got around to buying the complete set. Have been working my way (going with the order PT then OT) through the films after having not seen any of them in their entirety in a long time. Have enjoyed them all immensely so far (3 down, 3 to go) as well as the bonus features.

My only regret now is that I never bought the DVDs because I figured eventually I would have a blu-ray set up and I foolishly thought that any special features included on the DVDs would also be included on the blu-rays. But I guess I can still try to pick up the DVDs somewhere online (though I thought I read somewhere around here that they're hard to come by now?).

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Why is this thread in the OT section when we're discussing the blu-rays in general, which encompass the whole saga?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  20. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    oops, I think I contributed to this confusion...posted too quickly and forgot which forum it was tagged for (though I think it was already generally derailing a bit from the focus of the OP)

21. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    As someone who has always loved Return of the Jedi as his favorite film and the Vader switch over as his favorite moment in all of the saga, I can safely say that the new inclusion is still awesome.

The end.

22. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    That's crazy talk! The movies look awesome in HD buttery goodness. So what if its slightly different? Honestly! You freaking love these movies. You're in a forum dedicated to them!

You can skip the blurays all you want but you're only depriving yourself. From this guys seat on the couch, the picture sound and story have never been more glorious (save for opening night 1977, since the air was no doubt electric that evening)

“I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.” – Jango Fett

23. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Let's keep each other off the discussion-mod edit

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You too-mod edit

25. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013

Ebay would be your best bet. Perhaps you can find the "special features" disc from the box set being sold seperately, if you're not sure about buying the box set as a whole.

Pensivia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.