main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Once again: rule zero. Skadi is still unconscious and the results stand.

2. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    Saint, can I ask what your ruling is on invisibility? Because I understand that all the person's possessions turn invisible to as long as they're on the person, but I'm not sure how that affects stuff that's wedged into them, like the harpoons and attached ropes WIlliam's got.

3. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Good question, and one for which there doesn't seem to be a RAW answer. I'd say the harpoon and two feet of rope disappear, but not the whole trailing length of rope. And even if someone knows where you are while invisible, you still get the 50% concealment chance, absent True Strike.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Incidentally, given all these harpoons, one of these goblins had best have an ivory peg leg. :p

5. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    Okay then, thanks! :)

William's actions, then: he'll drop a Confusion directly beneath him at ground level, catching everyone within 15 feet, then use his quicken-rod to replace his Invisibility and holds onto it via free AP, and finally a 5-foot step. If he can, he goes to G-12 and 5 feet down; I know working in 3-D is awkward as hell, but I picture a 5-foot step would go in any direction, including diagonally down or up. If I'm wrong, he stays at the same height and goes to F-12.

Also, Ktala, Peng, please come help the wizard before the casters and manticores make him into wizard chunks! [face_praying][face_nail_biting]

6. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    In passing, I think it'll have to be same height and F -12. Reason being D&D's rules on tactical aerial movement; Overland Flight gives William a flight speed of 40 feet and average maneuverability. To go down, at any angle, he has to travel a minimum of five feet after descending, or else he stalls. 10 feet of movement would take you out of five foot step territory. Also, he has to maintain a minimum "balance" of half his forward movement in reserve or drop out of the sky. He's currently got a flight movement allowance of 17.5 feet with Haste turned on, which gives us an actual distance of up to 8.75 feet or so he has to keep in reserve.

Were William working with Perfect maneuverability or the Hover feat it might be different; I agree with you he could drop five feet down would include five feet diagonally up or down, but the tactical aerial movement rules cut across it. It's one reason why dragons' massive flight allowances, in the 150-feet range or better, are a lot more sucky than they sound unless you're doing glorified leaps around the battlefield -- because of the "Average", "Poor", or "Clumsy" maneuverability rating that generally comes right afterward.

7. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    Ah, okay, that makes sense. It is such a headache once we're dealing with an extra dimension. :p

8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    If you do want to explore it further, bear in mind you're still packing one more AP this round for feat emulation, of course.

9. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    Yeah... never mind, on thinking about it - if he's going to struggle with the ropes giving him away, he's just going to head as far back towards the wall as possible, staying in the G row, with his move action; never mind the 5-foot step.

10. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    EDIT: never mind, my mistake. You can pull stuff out of storage in combination with a move action. Just bear in mind it's only ten feet of movement unless you want to fall to the ground...

11. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be very far.

12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Still gonna cast Summon Hound Archon but right next to me, also moving away from the thing in front of me and fly up to the battlements. He can play with my new friend instead of me.

If I cannot move, then ill move first and then cast next round.

Tapatalk Signature
    ----------
    Use the light switch, Luke. Trust your feelings!

13. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Bear in mind summoning takes you a full round, Mitth. You can, of course, fly up and then start casting this round while in mid-air: you've got Air Walk on, you're not like William or Ariel who have actual flight speeds. The hobgoblin confronting you only seems to have that manriki-gusarme on him with a ten foot reach. Even if you just use a move action to get you to 15 feet off the ground, you're out of his range. It's not like you have to contend with him plinking at you with a bow and arrow.

And even if he did, it'd take one hell of a punch to put you in a position where your concentration on the spell could be broken; the Spellcraft DC to be beaten when damaged is 10 + damage dealt. Your Concentration (Spellcraft) modifier is a +21. That means anything that hits you has to do at least 15 hitpoints damage in a single strike before there's even a possibility it'll make you break your concentration, because you have DR 3/evil on. Most ranged attacks don't get that high on damage.

14. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    That's what I'll do. Walk up 15 feet and start casting the spell. Just dont want him hammering on me and bringing my HPs down and forcing me to heal myself instead of the group. Give him a friend to play with and then I'll start healing people. Ugh that Healing Spirit would be useful right now.

Question... when will Skadi end up *dead*? I know normal rules on dying arent applying, but I need to know what the house rules are so I know how much time I have to use the staff. I can't find them anywhere.

15. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    I believe we're borrowing the 4e rules regarding death saves. When reduced to dying, at the end of your turn you roll 1d20. If the result is 1 through 9, you get a failure mark. Three failures and you die. If the result is 10 through 19, you've survived another round. If the result is a natural 20, you regain consciousness with 1/4 your HP. Of course, this game doesn't have the healing surge/second wind mechanic that 4e has, but you probably can't bounce back more than once per fight anyways.

Anyways, I rolled a 10.

16. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Okay.

Hmm looking at my feats, I have something that can boost our AC but everyone would need to be within 30ft of me. Protection Devotion: grant +4 sacred bonus to AC and to allies within 30ft, spending 3 turn attempts. Can only do it once and its an immediate action. Lasts 1 minute.

So thats what... 6 square radius of me. So I'd be near Skadi when I do that to get most of the group. Only person that wont get it, unless he manages to retreat back, is William.

Edit: And I really really need to post IC soon. Oie

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I had an idea for an IC post, but it comes off as so fatalistic I'd prefer to save it until
    becomes a bit more of a forgone conclusion.

In any case, Evelios will continue to sing-a-sing-a-sing-a-sing-a-song, and he'll also fire off another Confusion at a group of unaffected enemies (The precise location would be difficult to judge given William's results will affect some folks, so whatever optimizes my number of valid targets).

18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I'll do my best to honour that, Ramza, although I will leave it open to you to reframe your actions based on what everyone else winds up doing: because you've got a high initiative count, Evelios doesn't act until everyone else has declared their actions for the round, and I don't know what Penguinator and Ktala are exactly going to do - Ktala's a bit busy this week so I may have to work it out with her in PM.

EDIT: Also, Mitth, Light called the houserule right.

19. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    All right, that's seven full days since the last update, so I'm going to get started "coding" an update probably tomorrow. Ktala's talked over things with me via PM and she'll be going in for the closest manticore to her. Seeing as, gosh, Ragnar's guiding presence is silent, it'll be a movement and attack on the manticore closest to him as well. Rilwen, for convenience: I'm assuming you'd be doing a full attack using only the hand crossbow, with the first shot plunked at the hobgoblin closest to you (and Skadi). Unless you roll a natural 1 on that attack, it'll be a hit and just from morale bonuses alone it'll be a kill on that target. It is possible to take a five foot step after the first shot of a full attack, so you can peek round the corner of the stone wall and shoot out at another target/s out to the west as well. Which targets are up to you.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Any chance we could upgrade Ragnar to that kooky jumping thing that does like a hojillion damage? Or was that the plan anyway?

21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    He can't, mainly because he was hit with a Tanglefoot Bag. Amongst its other refinements, a bag imposes the entangled condition, which includes an inability to charge or run. Leap Attack only functions on a charge attack. But I'll see to any other benefits he can obtain from his normal movement and attack.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Ayiyiyiyi.

23. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    One other query ... Cass, I can see you're using a temp AP to retain Invisibility, but what about the Confusion spell? Or are you preserving your "actual" APs on this one?

24. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    While we're sorting that out, I might put some provisionals up from the rolling thus far for your benefit...

-- Corrath acted as described earlier in the round.
    -- William's Confusion goes off and affects five of the six targets in range of G -13 (15 foot radius). He also manages to fly, blood pouring out of him, to G -11.
    -- Mazarun does ... something.
    -- Ragnar moves to A -11 to attack the Warcaster riding on the first Manticore's back, which was what Light suggested, so I'll go with that. He only really needed more than 1 to hit, and he didn't roll a 1, so that turned out a kill.
    -- Ariel's round was a hoot. She moves to K -9, and attacked the second manticore instead and pulled 44 damage, deafened it, and also pulled out a stun attempt with her weapon, which got up. Stunned creatures can't take any actions, and creatures with clumsy maneuverability have to keep a certain minimum forward velocity to stay in the air, which I'm ruling they can't do while stunned. So you guessed it, the manticore just got knocked out of the sky. It falls 40 feet for precisely 13 points damage, which is dead on the 57 required to kill it. And the Warcaster on its back? Well, he suffers 12 points of damage from the fall. But then 1,000 pounds of manticore hits him ... for 27 damage, and thus a total of 39 damage all up which is one point over the hitpoint damage required to kill him. So yeah: two for one.
    -- Skadi is still, well, alive.
    -- Zanaek moves up fifteen feet to F -6 and starts casting.
    -- Evelios would get his next Confusion here, but I'm waiting to see where Mazarun shoots before rolling up for that, since Mazarun's attacks may affect where the spell goes for maximum effect. I should say that assuming Mazarun takes out the hobgoblin at H -2 first, that'll leave about four hobgoblins not affected by Confusion on the field. Bear in mind that who hits a particular hobgoblin with a Confusion effect has an impact, since part of the Confusion results include "target the caster" as one of its results.

25. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    Nah, I'll hang onto the Confusion. Also, it is the Greater Invisibility we're talking about here, yes? Because I'm sure I had both versions in my spell list, which was a bit redundant because I've been fully intending to hang onto the Greater version with APs every time I cast it.