main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I find it interesting that the article Leland linked to seems to imply that Bob Iger's interest hinged on the presence of someone like Pablo working at Lucasfilm.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Bob Iger is secretly an EU fanatic. We needn't have worried after all. Huzzah.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, Disney buys Star Wars specifically because it has a rich IP of numerous franchise-worthy characters, but the Holocron isn't even being consulted for the script. Did anyone at LFL and/or Disney ever think that Star Wars being one story just might be one of its most attractive, if not the most attractive, aspect of Star Wars? I am starting to believe I am just not going to care about Star Wars moving forward (I don't think I could ever stop loving things I already love just because I don't like where they are being taken), because of the reasons I have mentioned in my previous post.

4. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Laurence Kasdan has said in different interviews that they want to start fresh, like the events between six, and seven are a mystery.

You have sites from Screenrant, to Hitfix, and Latino review detailing, how Disney/LFL are ditching the Holocron

We have Kathleen Kennedy in a video, you can find on youtube talking about how they don't have a book series to go on, with george Lucas smiling while sitting next to her.

Early after episode seven, we get a leak from an innamed LFL emplyee talking about the new movies, saying we should forget about everything, we think we

knew about what happened to Luke Skywalker after the OT

You can look up Grorge Lucas saying that the EU is not his vision of events after ROTJ

We're also told that this alternate vision from George Lucas has to probably turn itself into a pretzel to shape itself around new movies,
    If it's supposed to be one story, then lucasbooks, should be tightly integrated with the rest of the company, Video game makers, must be in touch with editors, who must stay in touch with directors, and screenwriters, if their are going to be books dealing with the movies, and the comics, then Arndt, should be talking to Heddle, who should be talking to Filoni, and whoever coordinates thr games, and the toy, and other departments can get
    consulted from the other three, and you make sure everybody has character databases, encyclopedia's, writer's guides, and an over all story outline.

We have had the opposite, with everybody going their own way, with Leland, and Pablo trying to put the pieces together.

aleja2, Darth_Pevra and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That is absolutely false! Are you really telling me the when you first saw ANH in 1977, it was because somebody said to you that everything is one story? I'm sorry, but what attracts people to Star Wars is the iconic characters.

If there were connected Twilight books, movies, comics, etc., would you become a Twilight fan? Would anyobody who isn't already a fan become one just because of that?

6. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012

Star Wars is a great movie, but Star Wars would not be a part of my life if there was not so many books and games that are telling stories set in this universe. And one of the reasons why I love this universe is that it's massive, with many different eras and characters and how everything works together and is tied into one whole franchise. Star Wars is not just a bunch of good movies, it's a lifestyle.

When they will delete all the events from EU, I will just leave Star Wars and as you can see I'm not alone.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    You might not be alone, but you'll be part of a very small group. To most, Star Wars is just a bunch of good movies, and I think it would be a shame if you missed out on these good movies.

Nonetheless, feel free to do what you want and don't be beholden to the majority.

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, I obviously loved the films first, I am too young to have seen them in theaters until the SE, but when I found things like Shadows of the Empire and Revenge of the Sith novelization, and much of the rest of the EU that I can actually believe upholds the one story concept, I came to appreciate Star Wars as much for it being one story as I did the films themselves. I can't even watch the films anymore without noting all of the connections to the EU.

Pax Bandica and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I just like Star Wars because it's a bunch of god-quality movies with god-quality intent behind them.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Pablo just replied:

So yeah--presumably they were just talking about LFL/Disney being very active at consultation; no definitive yes or no on the EU status quo overall.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    So you didn't ask what was actually said?

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    thanks

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Pablo Hidalgo@infinata 40m
    @stern_man More than 140 chars allow. Nutshell: story group is about ensuring future storytelling meshes better far more than in past.

So there will be EU integration! For new stuff! Old / current stuff, well, uhm, ahem, uh... hey! Look over there! *hides*

15. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Worst case of worst case, they are going to overwrite the post-RotJ EU, with gems like the Thrawn books and such being rendered Infinities. But the books won't be going anywhere. They will still exist, and might even continue being written until contracts are up, or under a multi-verse tag. A pain in the behind, but no one is going to storm your house and forcefully destroy your bookshelves.

It will never be as big a mess chronologically as anything by Black Library, or even Star Trek. Kirk has around twenty years worth of adventures, in his five year mission. Admittedly, the Clone Wars keeps Anakin and crew pretty busy, but its still all managable, and events can be shuffled around to almost fit.

The boon is that, in theory, the new films will take place after RotJ. That makes KOTOR, Pre-PT, the PT, Dark Times period, and ANH to RotJ all theoretically left alone by whatever Disney and JJ craft. I'm fairly optimistic, as while I like Mara Jade and many of the EU characters, I do feel that a visual continuation of Star Wars is preffrable to the books, especially when I'm not losing the books. My Legacy comics will still be on my shelf when i get back from the cinema.

Hell, barring the Junior Jedi Knights generation, most of the post-RotJ EU characters will stil exist in whatever new timeline is created. Mara is in plenty of stories pre-RotJ, and will just have to find her way to the 'Light' on her own, if she's not included in the films (and I hope she is). Kyle, Corran, and many others are still there.

I have different concerns, personally. Firstly, is the EU (past at least) going to continue, and will Star Wars still have an ongoing collection of books, comics and video games growing ever larger - or will it be movies and games only, with comics and books slowing to a trickle? Also, will the existing books, comics and games continue to be published and distributed? I have a fair Star Wars collection, but i'm missing an immense amount of the EU. I'm wondering if its time to drop a years worth of pay-days on collecting as much as I can before various contracts run out and second hands books are bought out?

aleja2 likes this.
  16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Apparently he missed the part where Chee announced "We're saving the EU!" in Polish.

BigAl6ft6 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I doubt that. It is hinted that the script is more or less "finished". And they had an entire year to think about what happens to the EU.
    I think they just don't want to announce anything because it could hurt current sales. But that is not a very nice way to treat the fanbase.

This I agree with.

18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    It's just Abrams' typical MO on any project, keeping things super-close to the chest and on occasion misdirecting fans if their guesses are too close or too much gets leaked. I mean, Cloverfield, Star Trek 09/Into Darkness, Super 8, it was all the same. Even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I remember coming out of Cloverfield really confused as to why everything about it had been so completely hushed up to the degree it had been.

19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm fairly certain everyone involved in Lucasfilm licensing and publishing knows exactly as much about the future of the EU as we do.

21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I agree with this. Has anyone noticed how we haven't really talked about new comics for the 2014 year? I mean yeah we have the "Star Wars" different script series coming out but besides Dark Times and Legacy and that Ewok trade, and the omnibuses, there really isn't anything new. Nothing truly concrete on the Force Wars. Usually if something is coming out in October we get a cover for the issue like the above mentioned, but nothing so far.

22. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    We do have the main Star Wars title, I think that that maybe an attempt to restart the OT timeline, along with the rebels trilogy, Kenobi, and scoundrels

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    We know Force Wars starts in November.

Star Wood and Legacy are continuing too, so that's 2 ongoings right there.

The Star Wars also kicks off and is 8 issues.

DHC can only really do 3-4 SW boks at most, so the slots are filled.

Get through those and, at a minimum, you're into Q3 of 2014 already.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    Everything were getting pretty much was either already planned for or so close to coming out that they were allowed to finish it, but nothing truly new. I know that Dark Horse has another year and some months on their contract but you know as I know that if anything happens, they are going to have to be bound by secrecy or they'll face the attorney battalion that could be unleashed at them. I'm not stating, quoting, or speculating on any takeover by anyone, its just that I'm finding difficult to see that we get info on John Williams doing the score for the three sequels, planned spin-off films, we get Rebels animated series, we find out that ABC is in talks for a live action tv show (nothing like imitating Agents of Shield) with Disney, theme park possible's, one of Disney's cartoons will have a star wars theme to it in 2014, yet we have hardly any true info on TCW bonus content, or the direction that the comic book series will take along with the novels. I can't say about the EU because they are probably all talking about it now as we speak.

Another thing that has me thinking and maybe you guys can help me out. Sometime ago, some of you said that Lucasfilm was its own company and can do whatever it likes. Disney is just an oversight situation since they are the owners, but would not interfere with any creative projects that they decided to pursue. Now, If that is the case, then Lucasfilm should have been allowed to continue with TCW since the contract was done way before the take over. Instead it was cancelled. What that possibly means to me is that Disney has the final word on anything and everything and Lucasfilm while its still its own company, answer to Disney on everything. We know that Lucasfilm is not the true owners of Star Wars anymore, but Disney. They paid the $4.04 billion for the property and everything with it. They (Lucasfilm)
    are now a part of Disney who owns everything and can dictate how things will go.

So this only means one thing to me, unless I'm wrong:

1) The restrictions that once were placed on stories no longer have to be followed.
    2) Contracts that were done before do not have to be re-newed if it does not bring Disney profits
    3) Disney owns star wars, they can do whatever they want with it. Theme Park like Mickey Mouse.
    4) The EU will never go away, but I can see stories being told much like Avengers movie franchise and the new animated series. Hence forth the comment that was made by Pablo or Leeland that they wanted the stories to flow better together. The past EU did not have that and we all know this. Just look at the clone wars. No more GL has one way, the writers have another way. It's all going to be together.

25. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    I hope your right on this cause I'm uneasy about this. No news of Sword of the Jedi and you know the rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.