main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

All Things Costuming and Costume related! plus meetups!?

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by Darth Erebus, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Spice Smuggler

Spice Smuggler Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013

That's a great idea, Bobby! I'll check the thrift stores to see if I can find boots that will fit.

2. Darth Erebus

Darth Erebus Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    JDuffPhoto

your excuse to use worbla! jedi armor

[​IMG]

3. Darth Erebus

Sep 2, 2012
    and a pep file for the dark saber!

[​IMG]

i would use it as a pattern to do in some other material.

4. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Anyone considering a Royal Guard costume? I know of a helmet available. Email me for details - bobachris12@yahoo.com

5. Spice Smuggler

Apr 29, 2013
    Dave, this is a pic of my helmet so far. Made from pepakura, resin, fiberglass, and bondo. I wasn't sure which bondo to use but someone gave me hair bondo and so I went with it. It was messy and left big pits on the surface that can't be sanded out without taking most of the bondo off.
    What I would like to do is dremel it as it is now to make dents and form the indented part at the back. Then I would resin over that to smooth over the pits. Do you think that will work? What would you do?

6. Spice Smuggler

Apr 29, 2013
    [​IMG]

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

7. Darth Erebus

Sep 2, 2012
    its looking good! I have never used the hair bondo but i have seen it in the stores. I use the normal bondo body filly. it is jsut a grey goop with a red tube of hardener. you can pick up a small can for around $12. i would sand down the hair bondo as much as possible and redo it with the regular body filler.

for the grooves in the back, i would build up a pool of resin on the inside, then mark the outside where to dremal then make the grooves. i wouldnt re-resin the grooves as it would create some streaking that would be hard to sand again. it would be best to lightly rebondo the grooves.

8. Spice Smuggler

Apr 29, 2013
    That sounds like good advice, Dave. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

9. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Jonathan Xavier Jones Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2012
    It's soo cool looking at everyone talk costumes and stuff :) Who do I go to for help on making mine?

10. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    Acquired my Mando helmet yesterday. Finally ordered it hopefully it will be here in a few weeks

11. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    That all depends on the costume you ate planning to make. What do you have in mind?

12. EradicatorDan

EradicatorDan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2013
    Hello all! I Figure this is the place to find help with my idea for a costume project.... I'm thinking Sith Eradicator Warsuit. Only issue is I have no idea where to start and what materials would be best to construct it out of so any help and info would be greatly appreciated to get me rolling on the right track. Here is the look I would like to create:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

myhale99 likes this.
  13. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Sorry Dan, I have the info for you.....
    You can find a link to the plans on therpf.com for both of those.
    Look for a guy name firefek. He has the plans for both of them.

14. EradicatorDan

Jun 29, 2013
    Thank you kind sir

15. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Dave posted a pic of the armor earlier in this thread as well. Hope it helps!

I can tell you one thing though, that mask is purchased costs about $300. I saw one on the 501st forum and the guy was laser etching them. Crazy stuff, but in the end it will look amazing!

EradicatorDan and Darth Erebus like this.
  16. Jonathan Xavier Jones

Jonathan Xavier Jones Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2012
    Looking to do a CloneWars/Old Republic Wars Jedi costume. I was thinking some White Leg armor as well as shoulder armor. The main attraction would be a shield that I would wear on the right arm, would have an old republic Jedi/republic symbol on it. All this plus the Yari pike saber I'll be getting I think would make for a pretty cool looking Jedi Warrior.

Spice Smuggler likes this.
  17. Irish501st

Irish501st Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2013
    Don't know if any one has posted it, but I have found a few great tutorials on how to make a vacuum former........plus some great tutorials out there on molding, to make an original cast and then reproduce it.

Spice Smuggler likes this.
  18. myhale99

myhale99 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Yeah, I'd like to get my older son's a little more complete. He doesn't quite want all the armor considering he "fights" during the Bison's saber duels skits and this would definitely restrict his movements. But, I wouldn't mind starting to piece some ancillary stuff, like the gauntlets and maybe some chest armor. I've seen some people use EVA foam.

Let's collaborate and see if we can start up an effort to gather info and build some of this.

19. myhale99

myhale99 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    All right,

soft costume (Imperial Navy trooper, Tantive IV trooper)?
    or
    semi-hard costume (Snowtrooper, scout trooper)?
    or
    enhance 501st Clonetrooper to Commander Bow

Dilemma

20. RingoStarrkiller

RingoStarrkiller Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    New guys:
    I'm not necessarily saying you can't do these super elaborate costumes, but I'm advising heavily against it. Especially as your first costume, with these designs, you WILL be overwhelmed. Just a warning to think of a simpler costume to get your feet wet and under you first. Tony Stark was an idiot. You shouldn't run before you can walk.

21. EradicatorDan

Jun 29, 2013
    I understand and ultimately I was going to take my time on this just haven't set my mind to a more basic outfit yet for starters... I just figured get the info now and start formulating a plan.

72Princess likes this.
  22. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Snow trooper.....but I'm biased.....lol

I'd love to see Bow though....

23. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005

While I know where Steve is coming from, aim for the skies. When I first became part of the group I wanted to do a tie pilot. That turned into a gammorean guard (pretty expensive), and finally I settled on an imperial crewman. Two years later I bought my SnowTrooper suit from Chris and added a Jedi (sort of) to my collection. Now I'm at roughly 8 or 9 costumes and have tons of ideas for more.

I guess what I'm getting at is this, find something you want to do. Easy or hard it starts there. Then follow this list:

1) research the heck out of it
    2) get tons of pics of the actual costume. Get pics of people who did the costume. You can never have enough pics
    3) if available find forums that deal with that type of costume.
    4) ask questions
    5) sit back a plan in out. A well laid plan is better than jumping in with both feet without a clue
    6) make sure it's something you can afford and is something you are willing to wear.
    ( if you hate heat or being hot, helmeted characters are not for you. Neither are snow troopers or Wookiees. I'm speaking from experience)

All in all do what you feel comfortable doing. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't or shouldn't do a costume.
    Oh yeah and in case I don't forget this, just because there is a Vader, Boba, Snowy, Chewie, Leia...etc in the group don't let that hinder you from doing that if you want. Variety is the spice of life and the more the merrier.

Have fun!

Spice Smuggler and Darth Erebus like this.
  24. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'd like to build a gauntlet this weekend. Any suggestions for the material to use? I was hoping to make it so I could insert my iPhone into it to use the screen as part of its special effecst.

72Princess likes this.
  25. Darth Erebus

Sep 2, 2012
    it depends what materials you can get or have available.

here is a nice looking leather type one.

[​IMG]

and the website where it could be found. http://www.tormentedartifacts.com/communicationbracer.html

not saying you have to buy it but it can be a jumping off point for making one yourself.

another photo set i found looks to be made more of household found stuffs. but lacking descriptions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deimosordo/

one thing i thought of could be to use shaped and found objects and get it to how you like then id heat up sintra and form it over the mock up to make a clean looking bracer. then attach straps

hope it helps!

Wild Sidewalker likes this.