main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Star Wars authors refrain from doing Romances?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tylrkrby, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tylrkrby

tylrkrby Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2013
    Most seem to fall pretty flat even by Matt Stover who I love..... but god even the ROTS novelization had some cringe worthy Padmakin dialogue.

2. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    All Padmakin dialogue is terrible.

And no. Whether it is well done or not, that is a part of human storytelling. They shouldn't insert romance for the sake of romance, but it shouldn't be cut out completely either.

I personally am a fan of the Corran/Mirax story, and don't think their stories would have felt near as driven without that relationship.

VanishingReality and Poor Greedo like this.
  3. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    MOVING TO LIT

4. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Romances are a definite part of story telling, especially when you have a character-driven motivation. It shouldn't be avoided, it should just be, ya know, better written.

JediMatteus and Gamiel like this.
  5. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    Don't get me wrong I love a good romance in star wars but I guess my point is that should they focus on their strengths which for many of them isn't romance......Corran/Mirax is a good example of that but for most it seems like they focus less on the REALISM of alot of relationships (trial and error, break ups, cheating) instead focusing on "the ONE true love" who they see across the room or they have relationships but none of them are as good as the first 30 seconds of looking into that other persons eyes.....they then fill said love with lots of iffy dialogue.

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Corran/Mirax was good, and I also enjoyed Kell/Tyria. The absolute best romance was Anakin/Tahiri, though; Jaina/Jag are a close second. Jacen/Tenel Ka can't compare, and Ben/Vestara started out good until they ruined it in Apocalypse.

Force Smuggler and AnakinColodin like this.
  7. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    Jaina/Jag?! god no I hated that one....considering the fact Jag had the emotional depth of a rock. Anakin/Tahiri was ok to me but I felt it was forced sometimes and plain ruined in LOTF mine hands down is(and I know you guys'll prob hate me) Revan/Bastila from KOTOR

8. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    No they should not get away from romances then there would be no kids to pass the torch too ;)

Han and Leia's romance was my favorite, with Luke and Mara's a close second

Anakin and Padme's romance life was the best define during the clone wars series.

newdawn12 likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, different strokes for different folks. I related to Jaina/Jag far better than Jaina/Zekk, because I actually approved of Jag as a character (especially in the Enemy Lines duology). Anakin/Tahiri was wonderful, definitely not forced, especially in Keyes' novels. It felt completely natural. LOTF did bad things to Tahiri, but it can't mar what happened between her and Anakin. Revan and Bastila was good when Bastila wasn't being a snooty, stuck-up brat. I especially liked Revan redeeming Bastila through their love on the Star Forge.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    definitely and I'd like it if they did some one shots or novellas on character relationships, first dates, first kisses, dinner and a show you get me with the younger folks (jaina, tahiri, zekk, jacen) or some novellas showing snapshots of the older characters romances(leia\han, luke/mara, mirax\corran) its little things like that which help give the galaxy a more personal touch because they often get caught up in these huge sweeping events

11. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    What appealed to you about jag? i always thought he was kinda stereotypical for Jaina ya know (she's hotheaded, he's calm and collected, she's republic, he's remnant) and thanks btw for not yelling whenever i tell people i loved Revan\Bastila they freak out lol

12. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    how so? i never watched it cause i hate ashoka with a passion.

13. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Anakin's affection towards Padme was sweet and passonate, and they showed him being a very devoted husband to her meeting her whim and need. They also touched base on his jealous side where he leaves Padme's ex-boyfriend or fiance in the hands of the enemy during a mission.

They asked Padme to deliberately rekindle her love for her ex- which she was against in the first place. Anakin stuck his foot in his mouth and managed to push it down further with every other sentence which only made Padme angry and agree to go. Anakin rigged the back with a visual holo recorder to make sure they don't get within kissing distance. Broke one of the straps on the transport which only caused Padme to glare at Anakin.

Anakin just left the man there with the security from the separatists closing in on them.

Anakin took jealousy to a whole new level.

I loved how they defined their relationship to each other.

The Clone Wars series was awesome, you missed out big time.

VanishingReality likes this.
  14. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    See now that was good storytelling, it seems to be the character I wanted Anakin to be (Hero,Lover, Jedi) with the lurking darkness that was just beneath the surface of his soon to be crispy ass

15. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Like I said the Clone Wars series defined the characters far better then the movies. If you ever get the chance, you should watch all five seasons.

Near the end of the fifth season, they really outdid themselves with the story telling. It was epic.

Grievousdude likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like Anakin/Padme in AOTC, TCW and the first part of ROTS as well as in the AOTC novelization and in Labyrinth of Evil. Yeah, some of the dialogue was awkward but that was the point. Stover didn't do as well with them though.

I love Han/Leia pretty much everywhere they appear. I also love Anakin/Tahiri.

I can't stand Luke/Mara, as in their scenes set my teeth on edge.

No, Star Wars writers shouldn't be forbidden from writing romance, although I don't think it should ever be the focus of the story.

17. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    It's a shame they didn't have someone write the dialogue that was more familiar with the characters.

But you also have to realize Anakin was slowly swirling towards the darkside at this point and Palpatine using Padme in the scenario was the clincher. I wonder how things would've turned out if someone else wrote the story. We'll never know...

18. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Star Wars authors should write nothing but romances.

19. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    Yeah you're right. That's a good idea, If they're bad at romance, keep it to a minimum focus on your strengths, I don't mind that so long as they make the rest of the book good.

20. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    Didn't they end up bringing back Maul though?! I don't know if I could stand seeing that.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    tylrkrby , I can't stand Ahsoka either but TCW does have some good episodes.

22. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    yeah but not in the way anyone was expecting. It fit really well in with how the Dathomir witches use the Force and it helped define the night sisters. A little far fetched but awesome and boy was Palpatine not pleased. It was really intense near the end.

You really really really missed out on a great series.

23. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    One word. FANFICTION

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I've written a lot of fanfiction in my time newbie but it still doesn't hurt to wonder if another author had written the story on how it would've turned out for the movie.

Welcome to the boards. There is an edit button for about half an hour to an hour depending on which forum it is. Otherwise it will be considered spamming.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Is it a stereotype? Yes, but it's a stereotype that works.

Jedi_Lover and JediFalcon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.