main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Great, more people who look to TCW for the answers. Sorry to disappoint you, but Bo-Katan can never be Mandalore. Spar is supposed to be Mandalore during the Clone Wars, then Fenn Shysa, and eventually Boba Fett.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Give me Bo-Katan over Fett any day and twice on Sunday.

Unless Ventress puts him in a box again.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Because TCW and Rebels are made by the same people.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    And it still has higher canon status than any of the novels/comics.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW's higher canon status means absolutely, complete and totally, nothing to me. If TCW was consistent with the EU, I would at least accept it, but no, Lucas and LFL did whatever they wanted, despite the fact the EU was created under the premise of being the official continuation of the films. If Lucas wanted the absolute control he demonstrated with TCW, then he should have made Star Wars like Star Trek, where film and television are the only thing that matters. Which would of course make me much less of a Star Wars fan than I am now, and I currently feel like half a fan thanks to TCW redoing the Clone Wars and the post-NJO being little more than depressing osik.

Shadow_imperium likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What I think pevra was trying to say is to expect Rebels to follow TCW. She wasn't saying that you have to follow TCW or Rebels.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I already know that, all I am saying is LFL is loosing diehard fans like me thanks to this kind of nonsense, and if this wasn't the only thing that had gone wrong in recent years, i.e. the post-NJO disaster, I might be dealing with this a lot better.

8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I can understand that, but then again overwriting or ignoring what came before has been company policy for a long time. The Marvel comics for instance have been declared special canon, despite being popular in their time (so much that they saved Marvel from bankruptcy).

The claim that Star Wars is a consistent universe is a lie.

Sable_Hart, CT-867-5309 and Gamiel like this.
  9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    They found a way to make it consistent by 2005, only for TCW to ruin that and the post-NJO to simply be a disaster.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    mostly consistent, anyway

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, consistent enough that if TCW had went with its initial premise of following original characters in the form of Tera Sinube and Ahsoka Tano as a Master-Padawan team, instead of rewriting the Clone Wars, and the post-NJO would have undergone the kind of world building Zahn did with the Thrawn Trilogy, where the torch of hero was passed to the Solo twins as TUF so splendidly setup for the future, I would probably actually be happy right now instead of disappointed and questioning whether I can continue to be a Star Wars fan.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  12. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    As much as I love Bo-Katan as a character, I have to agree with the sentiment that by the time of Rebels, Spar, or rather Shysa, should be Mand'alor. However, a lot of things regarding Mandalore has already changed. Perhaps now that Lucas is gone, they will try to keep Rebels more consistent with the EU, which means that Shysa should be the leader of Mandalore during this period. You can always relegate Bo-Katan as one of the high-ranking officers under his leadership. I think that could satisfy almost everybody. Now, the question now is, will Rebels stick to incorporating elements of the (current) EU as much as possible, or will they decide to go about their own path and establish a completely new setup that's merely derivative of the current EU?

Revanfan1, Mia Mesharad and Zeta1127 like this.
  13. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    I wonder - was there a directive, first from Lucas and now from Disney, that characters in a SW animated show cannot have normally-proportioned bodies? I quite enjoyed TCW... but I think I'd have enjoyed it even more if the characters had had normal body proportions. I'd hoped Rebels would take the normal proportions route, but now it doesn't look that way. Ah, well. I suppose I can at least hope the characters in Rebels won't be quite as deformed as those in TCW were.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Slightly out of scale bodies, in a stylized manner, helps avert uncanny valley problems. Pixar and Dreamworks (in Shrek) both take that approach.

Mazzic likes this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The women in TCW are way too thin.

DarkSapiens likes this.
  16. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah it does seem to be rather textbook setup like a Backdoor Pilot if u will

I would not be so sure who is Mandolore in the EU has any standing whatsoever. Now Old Republic and stuff in the past is probably sitting pretty fine anything else is danger

17. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    The characters in TCW were more than just slightly out of scale, IMO. And I still don't see the problem. When I'm watching TCW, I know I'm watching a cartoon, so I wouldn't mind if properly-proportioned human characters in Rebels didn't look/feel quite perfectly human. Besides, I doubt that Rebels will have the budget to craft perfectly lifelike human characters even if the animators wanted to do so, so they could still go the normally-proportioned path without striving for the not-quite-perfection of facial details that apparently causes the uncanny valley.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The problem is that they are ugly, especially the women.

19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I personally found Dooku and Obiwan's spear beards more offensive than the women, frankly.

But that problem really dates back to the microseries, whose artstyle I hate even more so (even if I do so love its content).

Over time, it seems that TCW did gradually shift towards a more realistic live action look. Compare the Phase I Clone trooper armor to Phase II. The former was stylized, the latter less so and it made arcs like Umbara look almost live-actionesque.

I think the style we see in Rebels will be closer to the latter, but it seems the Storm Trooper armor may still have some subtle cartoony variations. I just hope we get to see more prototype designs, much like what we saw in the Force Unleashed first level troopers.

20. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    It doesn't sound as if you really needed things to be consistent, you just needed them to be good.

2005, wasn't that the year they found an explanation for the Boba-as-a-clone-boy revelation that didn't bug me in the least in 2002 because reading the Bounty Hunter Tales Fett story in 2000 really had pretty much eaten up all my rage by contradicting that Marvel comic I read in the 80s that had already been kind-of-contradicted by something I'd read in Dark Empire 2 in the mid-nineties?

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, the spear beards were bad too, I agree.

22. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Meh I liked it on Dooku.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    He made it work.

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Christopher Lee characters can make anything work.

25. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I never felt absolutely satisified with the TCW character designs, but one thing I really did like is how they look like painted wooden string figures. I wish the texture had been more wooden, actually. But the painting was a fun bit, especially when it came to added neon colours.