main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Star Wars authors refrain from doing Romances?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tylrkrby, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    If Kyp was ten years younger, I think Jaina and Kyp would've made a very interesting couple.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Stereotypes were forged in the depths of the Well of the Dark Side.

I haven't read any Jaina/Jag but I was introduced to Jag and wasn't impressed. And I really like Jaina.

3. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Jag Fel = stuffed shirt. Jaina sure isn't her mothers daughter in this department :p

krtmd likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Havac, I smell a challenge.

newdawn12 likes this.
  6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So I take it you haven't reached Enemy Lines yet? Don't listen to them, Jag's a great character. Stuffy? Yes. But I think he and Jaina work well together. Especially when he loosens up a bit. I'll admit he was a bit annoying when he was a stereotype Imperial-officer's-kid, but he had some very blunt one-liners, and he's a pilot that can match his uncle Wedge.

While I don't think Kyp and Jaina would work well together, Kyp definitely needs to find a girl.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Before or after she gave him the GFFA equivalent of "I wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire and I really needed to pee!"?

I'm not much of a Kyp fan. I don't hate him but I don't like him much either.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Oh lots of fanfic authors made Jaina and Kyp work very well together as a couple. It's what converted me in the first place and the one fic that did it for me was the way the relationship was defined between them.

I've paired up Kyp with an OC and made the relationship work well.

They patched up Kyp and Jaina's friendship at some point. There was Dark Journey when Jaina was flirting with the dark side and Kyp brought her back from the brink. And this was after he misled her.

9. tylrkrby

tylrkrby Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2013
    I agree, I wanted that to happen but the whole betrayal manipulation thing wasn't something I wanted to see

10. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    Kyp\Jaina forever I loved the banter. Jag seemed like he didn't have any major character development though maybe you've seen something I haven't Revan

11. tylrkrby

Jul 29, 2013
    I don't know about stereotypes that works haha maybe for you though

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    He started out as a fighter pilot who thought he was the best there was, and then slowly became a responsible commander, up until Dark Nest where he held the rank of (I believe) wing commander, until he was shamed and was thrown into despair because of his disgrace. He became a bounty hunter (and never wanted to see Jaina again), and then slowly began working for the Jedi and developing feelings for Jaina again. All he ever wanted to do was fight, and then by the end of the series he was forced into a position of power by Luke. He could've passed off his work to his subordinates but he didn't, He did exactly as he was expected (except when he was expected to follow the Moffs), and by Apocalypse he even tried to make the Empire into a democracy, despite growing up in an Empire. That's some character development if you ask me.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just wondering what's wrong with Zekk?

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Luke/Mara
    Barris/Ahsoka
    Wedge/Iella
    Winter/Tycho
    Myn/Lara
    Cade/Marasiah (It happened!)
    Jag/Jaina
    Kyle/Jan
    Fett/Daala

Are all pairings I support.

newdawn12 and cthugha like this.
  15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    There should be MORE romance in SW, IMO. They're adult novels about adults. Adults fall in love, and have -gasp- sex. This can all be handled well, if an author tries. Sometimes they get it very wrong, but it can be good. Best case - Han and Leia in TG. Worst case - Jaina/Zekk bug love in DNT.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nope, I'm on Star by Star.

I'll keep an open mind, but he irritated the **** out of me in Ruin.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    :eek: I think the correct term is: WHAT?

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    [face_plain]

[face_plain][face_plain]

[face_plain][face_plain][face_plain]

Zeta1127 likes this.
  19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, you will never see me endorsing these three "pairings," Cade/Marasiah only because I haven't read Legacy and its questionable in the first place.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    He certainly wasn't at his best in Ruin. And yes, keep an open mind: he'll be annoying at first, you should wait at least until the end of the first Enemy Lines book. He does get better.

21. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    I quite enjoyed the Han/Leia romance in the OT. The Anakin/Padme romance in the PT not so much, though that might be because of Lucas's cringe-inducing dialogue (seriously, I winced several times when I first watched AotC). But now that there's a highly talented writer doing the script, I can at least hope for decent dialogue and a romantic relationship that begins and evolves naturally.

One thing I would like to see is two of the younger characters becoming a serious couple in the second movie, then having to deal with everyday couple issues in the third movie. Some might say that Anakin/Padme fit that bill, but I always knew their relationship would end in tragedy, thus diminishing my enjoyment of it. Not to mention that by RotS their relationship was almost antagonistic, or at least you could see them moving away from each other at high speed, what with Padme being committed to democracy and the Republic while Anakin prefered radical solutions and centralization of power (and there was also the whole "being lured to the dark side of the Force by the Dark Lord of the Sith himself" thing). In the ST, I'd like to see the beginning, development and evolution of a more positive romantic relationship.

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I only found out about this recently as well, and had about the same reaction. I went from mildly amused to absolutely appalled when text excerpts were posted (Hint: don't ask for them).

Also, as I'm in the middle of doing the latest Jedi Prince chapter... I have to say, I support Trioculus/Hissa completely. One of the most fascinating, yet eccentrically beautiful romances in literature, made all the more poignant by it being unreciprocated.

cthugha, Shadow Trooper and Zeta1127 like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Isn't that like telling somebody not to look down?

24. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    If you're still on star by star then I'm not going to say anything further on how the relationship gets patched up between them...

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I like both characters, they are a similar age, and they have a fun dynamic.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to continuity. K-Wings have no guns, Han Shot First, and Cade slept with Marasiah.

They have a ton in common. Both irrationally hate Jedi (at least recently, neither cared much before retcons), are shoehorned into plots where they make no sense (especially with the approval of Han, whom both have had tortured/attempted to kill), have come back after being assumed dead multiple times, and are overhyped characters (Fett by fans, Daala by authors). Match made in Hapes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.